• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes coming to KGO-AM

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=n35083

Here is the Lineup

KGO-AM Cumulus Media launches a new weekday lineup for Talk KGO-AM/San Francisco. "The Ethan Bearman Show" moves from noon-2pm to 10am-12:50pm followed immediately at 12:50 by the "Ronn Owens Report." Ownes will host an eight-minute segment featuring the news of the day and what's happening around the world. KGO is also introducing medical expert and syndicated personality Dr. Drew Pinsky to San Francisco from 1-3pm. Rounding out the new weekday lineup is "The Chip Franklin Show," which expands one hour from 3-7pm.
Operations Manager Mike Anthony said, "The Next Generation of KGO 810 in 2018 reflects the changing lifestyle and information needs of the San Francisco audience. A unique perspective and a strong point of view on politics and life is what drives talk radio in 2018. It's rare to be able to add a trusted yet powerful voice like that of Dr. Drew Pinsky to the KGO lineup."

How Ironic. Ronn Owens at one time was heard on both KABC and KGO

Don't really know how "ironic" it is considering the changing nature of radio. For those who don't recall, some years ago, KABC decided to jettison Michael Jackson (not the singer), their morning host of a few decades. Jackson was as much an institution at KABC as Owens was at KGO. At the time, KGO was still riding high, but KABC was doing badly. So somebody got the bright idea to do a simulcast of Owens show on KABC. For whatever reason - not Ronn's fault, his show didn't translate to the LA market, and though he even traveled down to LA to broadcast from KABC on alternate weeks, the show just didn't bring in ratings. If I had to guess, I think a factor was resentment from long-time Jackson fans that their favorite morning host was gone.

So, IIRC, after less than a year, Owens was dropped from KABC's line-up.

If you want a bit of "irony," Michael Jackson's early career - before KABC, was as a Top 40 disc-jockey in the Bay Area at KEWB ("Channel 91") and KYA 1260. It was during the British invasion, when every Top 40 station suddenly had to have a DJ with a British accent. Jackson, who was born in London - fit the bill, though just to make sure, he went by the handle "Michael Scotland" for awhile.

Back to KGO-AM at this point who knows how much of an impact in the ratings will these changes are going to be. The changes in the host will have no impact whatsoever at KGO-AM. I also understand that KABC-AM has been last in the ratings for not getting the current demos. It's basically the horse has been out of the barn for some time though.

Back to KGO-AM at this point who knows how much of an impact in the ratings will these changes are going to be.

My sense is they're not selling ratings any more. They're selling access.

And the truth is there's nothing they could do with this frequency that will get them a 3 share. Same with KABC.

The fact is they had Ronn Owens for all these years, and he didn't make a difference.

http://laradio.com

An Update to Dr. Drew airing in San Francisco.

January 17, 2018) KGO-San Francisco stirred up its programming last week and a couple of LARPs are involved. Ronn Owens, a longtime midday fixture at KGO, has relinquished his 42-year program but will continue with the Cumulus Media talk news/talker as host of a new short-form commentary feature, the “Ronn Owens Report.” Owens told San Francisco Gate that he hopes “to be a 2018 version of Paul Harvey and Andy Rooney” with his 8-minute commentary feature, which he says is a win-win situation for both he and the station.

“They get the credibility of still having me, and it helps me because ‘Ronn Owens KGO Radio’ gets me a better table than just ‘Ronn Owens.’” If you remember in 1998 it was decided to simulcast the midday Ronn Owens show with KABC. It never seemed to work and ended a year later.

Owens departure of his midday show makes way for the addition of Dr. Drew Pinsky. The last two hours of Pinsky’s KABC program (1 p.m. – 3 p.m.) will be simulcast on KGO. There is no word if Pinsky will alter his program to accommodate his new audience in the Bay Area. The big advantage with a two-station simulcast in the same state, there are issues that impact both areas.

With this simulcast, the cast of Dr. Drew’s program changed. As of this week, Mike Catherwood has exited the station and Lauren Sivan is acting as sidekick. She was a co-host on KABC a few years ago with Leo Terrell and most recently on Fox11.

Sorry, KGO is nothing but "hot air" now.

Even though I did not agree with the politics of most hosts, I liked to listen to them ( Gene Burns, Karel, Gil Gross, Bill Wattenburg ). I refused to listen to Ray Taliaferro, John Rothmann, and Ron Owens. Other than Ray, the other two were just boring all the time. If I did happen to catch Ray at night, and he was in a tit for tat mode with his callers, I would fall over laughing in my chair when he would say..."I'm going to pipe you down now sir, I'm going to pipe you down" than a few minutes later..."GO TO HELL... SIR". Freaking loved it!!!! Now that was entertaining!!! Anytime Ray was angry, I had to listen, cause I knew eventually he was going to blow his stake!!!

Sorry, KGO is nothing but "hot air" now.

Even though I did not agree with the politics of most hosts, I liked to listen to them ( Gene Burns, Karel, Gil Gross, Bill Wattenburg ). I refused to listen to Ray Taliaferro, John Rothmann, and Ron Owens. Other than Ray, the other two were just boring all the time. If I did happen to catch Ray at night, and he was in a tit for tat mode with his callers, I would fall over laughing in my chair when he would say..."I'm going to pipe you down now sir, I'm going to pipe you down" than a few minutes later..."GO TO HELL... SIR". Freaking loved it!!!! Now that was entertaining!!! Anytime Ray was angry, I had to listen, cause I knew eventually he was going to blow his stake!!!
'

KGO has been 'hot air ' for a decade KGO Fell Down as soon as Bernie Ward got sent to prison to misconduct allegations, Pete Wilson died and Citadel's/Cumulus reforms were dealt with a bad hand.

This had to come eventually. Ronn must be around 70 years old, by now - and IIRC, has a few health problems. I suspect he's done well financially, and doesn't need to keep working. So I hope he has a great semi-retirement.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom