• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Old tv shows on the radio

I hear some AM stations running old tv shows on the radio, and Sirius also has a station with these old shows. How many people would be listening to an AM station playing a tv show from the 1940s or 1950s? I can listen to Sirius, because there's no static.

Are you sure these are old TV shows and not pre-TV radio drama? Some of those old radio shows later became TV shows.

I love Christmas time when many Iheart talk stations play old shows like "George and Gracie save Christmas" they were made for the radio and later adapted to television.

If you're in to baseball you gotta bring up "Classic Baseball on the Radio" on YouTube. Hours of enjoyment as I wait for next season.

How many people would be listening to an AM station playing a tv show from the 1940s or 1950s? I can listen to Sirius, because there's no static.

People that live in an area with lots of trees, Sirius drops out so much for me, worse than AM. Sirius is not the solution for all of the US.

When 'Gunsmoke' used to be both a radio and TV series, they used to try out the TV scripts as a radio production first. I remember someone saying that the only script they couldn't translate to TV was one where the entire town was flooded. Shades of the Stan Freeberg radio PSA :)

When 'Gunsmoke' used to be both a radio and TV series, they used to try out the TV scripts as a radio production first. I remember someone saying that the only script they couldn't translate to TV was one where the entire town was flooded. Shades of the Stan Freeberg radio PSA :)

The star of the radio series didn't "translate" to TV either. :D

I forgot that they were radio shows first, but aren't these radio stations worried about ratings?

Maybe some more information would help: Which stations are we talking about, and on what day and at what time?

I ask because the stations I'm familiar with usually run this kind of thing Sunday nights, when ratings are not too important.

I also know of several non-commercial stations that run old time radio shows, and they're not worried about ratings.

This is perhaps merely an 'aside' to this thread, but .....

The wifester and I listen to Oldies internet stations nowadays. There is a gal named DJ_DI on Good Time Oldies who puts in a :10 or :15 segment of the Hardy Boys or an Annette show.

Now -- up front -- I was never a fan of talk on the radio. I want my mP3's!!!
But I am amazed at the clarity and the microphone technique effect they cultured for those old time shows. The shows sometimes are duller than listening to paint dry, but the sonics were terrific. You can understand everything that any character said.

Considering today's commercials (radio or TV) that coherence is a lost art.

Maybe some more information would help: Which stations are we talking about, and on what day and at what time?

I ask because the stations I'm familiar with usually run this kind of thing Sunday nights, when ratings are not too important.

I also know of several non-commercial stations that run old time radio shows, and they're not worried about ratings.

It's actually a Canadian station AM900 CHML, and the shows play 7 nights a week.

https://globalnews.ca/hamilton/program/old-radio-shows-900chml/

Interesting idea. I can't think of any US stations that do it.

I don't know if it's even still on the air, but at least a few years ago there was a program "When Radio Was" that aired on stations across the country. I know at one time 600 WICC up in Bridgeport carried the show. As did WLIS/WMRD in Middletown/Old Saybrook, CT.

The old USA Radio Network carried old-time shows too circa 2002.

More recently I heard an old time radio show on The Talk of Connecticut on a Saturday Night.

I don't know if it's still around, but there used to be "Twlight Zone Radio". The above mentioned WLIS/WMRD used to air that too.

I don't know if it's even still on the air, but at least a few years ago there was a program "When Radio Was" that aired on stations across the country. I know at one time 600 WICC up in Bridgeport carried the show. As did WLIS/WMRD in Middletown/Old Saybrook, CT.

The old USA Radio Network carried old-time shows too circa 2002.

More recently I heard an old time radio show on The Talk of Connecticut on a Saturday Night.

I don't know if it's still around, but there used to be "Twlight Zone Radio". The above mentioned WLIS/WMRD used to air that too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Twilight_Zone_(radio_series)

http://www.whenradiowas.com/

Can't really tell from either website whether they're still on any stations or if they just exist as stand alone sites that you can order from. I know [at least in my area] that the last original CBS radio mystery shows ended in 1979 [but continued on elsewhere till 1982] as a station around here used to broadcast them late in the evening. While everyone else was watching TV, I was in my room listening to it. And apparently you can listen to all 1399 CBS Radio Mystery Theater shows online for free!

Yep, we got that for years in Fresno on KMJ. It still exists, but I haven't heard it on an actual radio station for quite awhile.

A weekly show, Hollywood 360, airs on many stations and plays old time radio comedies and dramas. As noted, the Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke and Dragnet, among others, had their start on radio before transitioning to TV and, in some cases, film.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom