WXLO Coming In Loud And Clear in Revere - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WXLO Coming In Loud And Clear in Revere

"Header", "liner", "sweeper", "drop" are all real insider terms. I, for one, have no idea how they differ, if at all, from each other. Worse, I'm not sure what they mean.

I am technically an outsider too and can only guess what they all mean. For example is a sweeper short for a radio contest?

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro View Post
    I am technically an outsider too and can only guess what they all mean. For example is a sweeper short for a radio contest?
    We use some general terms for non-music elements in radio programming. Here are some:

Sweeper - a very brief live or recorded phrase or statement intended to go between songs so as not to slow down the flow. "More of today's hits... Q97"

Liner - also a brief statement, usually live. Often promotes a specific feature. "Q 97, where Jim Bob and Billy start your morning every day!"

Promo - Usually used for a lengthier promotion of a show, contest, event. Usually, but not always recorded.

Drop - An alternative term, often applied to specifics like a "listener drop" which would be "I'm Barbara and I always wake up with Jim Bob and Billy on Q 97" In this case, usually no production effects ad dropped between songs.

Frontsell - Name for what a jock does ahead of a sweep or music segment.

Backsell - After last song in a set... what the jock does before starting commercials. Can include music info, a contest result, pre-sell for something in next set, etc.

Two stations in the same market may internally call their imaging elements by different names. All that matters is that the staff know what to do.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, Billboard, Cash Box, R&R, Record World, Music & Media, Audio, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, Popular Electronics, Studio Sound, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Lady D. was on this afternoon. Now I do not know if this was a regular shift or just a fill in instead?

BTW, speaking of fill in's Karen Blake was on Mix a couple of weeks ago also.

Focusing on a bigger market and doing what they can to reach it ...WEEI-FM Lawrence, the best sports station in the Merrimack Valley!*

*--studios Boston, stick Peabody

Quote Originally Posted by raccoonradio View Post
    Focusing on a bigger market and doing what they can to reach it ...WEEI-FM Lawrence, the best sports station in the Merrimack Valley!*

*--studios Boston, stick Peabody
    I think that Entercom is the only company that can get away with having studios in Boston and have their towers in the middle of nowhere. :-p

Not really nowhere! It's very visible from US Route 1 and I-95 (just north of the MA Route 128 merge). I know this because that station overloads my Panasonic "Walkman", no matter what station I may have on. WJMN-FM 94.5 has no chance there, even if the "Walkman" is in LOCAL mode for the LOCAL/DX switch!

Hell, some of the big Hartford market stations have their transmitters well south-southwest on West Peak in Meriden, CT. WDRC-FM 102.9 (classic rock "102.9 The Whale") has a Hartford city of license, a Bloomfield studio and that Meriden transmitter. When their ownership changes soon, they could have a studio in Glastonbury, CT instead!

WXLO seems like they have a small budget, but compete with Mix 104.1 pretty well though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123