• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

La Nueva back on air

On 91.5 FM, haven’t heard it myself so cant tell you how it sounds or where is it covering. But they’re back!

I wonder how they plan to make money with it on a non-commercial frequency?

Ask the group that ran Radio Campesina in Phoenix on a non-commercial frequency for nearly two decades with "underwriting" announcements that were virtually indistinguishable from the ads on the commercial band.

Ask the group that ran Radio Campesina in Phoenix on a non-commercial frequency for nearly two decades with "underwriting" announcements that were virtually indistinguishable from the ads on the commercial band.

Given that this same translator owner has been operating one here (the old La Nueva frequency) for several months without notifying the Commission that they've changed the station being rebroadcast, probably because the station supposedly being rebroadcast is outside the 60 dBu contour and it would never work as a fill-in translator, and the originating station is off the air anyway (an HD subchannel) I'm going to go out on a limb and assume they'll probably just run it like a straight-up commercial operation.

It's not like the FCC is going to take any kind of action against them anyway. They haven't so far.

Not hearing anything on 91.5 in Cy-Fair except for an extremely weak KHML. Is La Nueva still on the 102.5 translator in Conroe? It was still on 94.5 HD-2 last time I checked.

Not hearing anything on 91.5 in Cy-Fair except for an extremely weak KHML. Is La Nueva still on the 102.5 translator in Conroe? It was still on 94.5 HD-2 last time I checked.

I think you’re confusing it with LA MEJOR, last time I head was in November and they still were on 94.5 HD 2.

I wonder how they plan to make money with it on a non-commercial frequency?

It doesn’t matter any more, apparently, as you have EMF buying up commercial frequencies for their non commercial stuff. Turn about is fair play

It doesn’t matter any more, apparently, as you have EMF buying up commercial frequencies for their non commercial stuff. Turn about is fair play

EMF typically buys distressed stations, whether commercial or non-commercial. If you don't like the way they do things, save your pennies, and the next time a commercial station is facing bankruptcy, buy it yourself.

There have been non-commercial stations on commercial frequencies forever, including WBAI New York and KPFA in San Francisco. Given that they're in markets #1 and #4, I'd be willing to bet they blanket more listeners with those two signals than all EMF stations on commercial frequencies combined. KPFA has been what it is since 1949, WBAI since 1960.

Regardless, it's totally legal to apply to run a station on a commercial frequency as a non-commercial station. It's not legal to do the opposite.

But as I said earlier, I doubt it makes much difference. For whatever reason, the Commission is either oblivious to how Centro operates their translators, or they know and just don't care.

EMF typically buys distressed stations, whether commercial or non-commercial.

Not any more. The recent San Diego and LA stations were bought in a competitive buyer situation. And neither was particularly troubled.

There have been non-commercial stations on commercial frequencies forever, including WBAI New York and KPFA in San Francisco. Given that they're in markets #1 and #4, I'd be willing to bet they blanket more listeners with those two signals than all EMF stations on commercial frequencies combined. KPFA has been what it is since 1949, WBAI since 1960.

There are 115 EMF stations that are neither translators nor below 92.1 and the population covered is well over 100,000,000

Not any more. The recent San Diego and LA stations were bought in a competitive buyer situation. And neither was particularly troubled.

I'd say being forced to divest a station to satisfy antitrust concerns qualifies the sale as distressed. I don't believe Entercom has released any info that would indicate how they arrived at EMF as the party they were going to sell KSWD to. It's entirely possible that the financial concerns weren't the only concerns with that sale.

The former owner of the San Diego signal posted a video on Facebook indicating that the station was not profitable and that he had been trying to sell it for some time with little success.

I'd say being forced to divest a station to satisfy antitrust concerns qualifies the sale as distressed. I don't believe Entercom has released any info that would indicate how they arrived at EMF as the party they were going to sell KSWD to. It's entirely possible that the financial concerns weren't the only concerns with that sale.

A "distress" sale is generally accepted to be a case where the owner is in bankruptcy or otherwise can't keep operating the station (death of a principal, pending legal or license review actions, etc.).

KSWD could just as easily have been put into a blind trust or sold to one of several other suitors who wanted the station. Obviously, it's always nice to sell to someone who takes a station out of direct competition, but that does not create a situation of "distress" but, simply, one of convenience.

KSWD was not sold, in any case, to "satisfy antitrust concerns". It was sold because Entercom had to divest one station in the LA market to stay within the 5-of-any-kind FCC ownership limit. The Entercom cluster does not appear to be within any of the areas of antitrust concern, such as total share of market revenue, total share of audience or audience share within a defined or perceived niche.

The former owner of the San Diego signal posted a video on Facebook indicating that the station was not profitable and that he had been trying to sell it for some time with little success.

IIRC, the owner was using a variety of excuses to move and upgrade the station. There were several companies looking at the facility when it sold, but they obviously did not want to pay as much.

When the video appeared, the then-KPRI was attempting to get the station moved out of North County (Oceanside) by reaching an agreement with the Tijuana non-com on 102.9 and was getting quite skilled at making its case.

Last edited:

A "distress" sale is generally accepted to be a case where the owner is in bankruptcy or otherwise can't keep operating the station (death of a principal, pending legal or license review actions, etc.).

KSWD could just as easily have been put into a blind trust or sold to one of several other suitors who wanted the station. Obviously, it's always nice to sell to someone who takes a station out of direct competition, but that does not create a situation of "distress" but, simply, one of convenience.

KSWD was not sold, in any case, to "satisfy antitrust concerns". It was sold because Entercom had to divest one station in the LA market to stay within the 5-of-any-kind FCC ownership limit. The Entercom cluster does not appear to be within any of the areas of antitrust concern, such as total share of market revenue, total share of audience or audience share within a defined or perceived niche.

I suppose we can quibble over semantics if you want. Entercom had to divest several stations in California to satisfy the Justice Department. You are correct that this wasn't one of them. It was the FCC ownership cap. Either way, they had to get rid of it. Keeping it was not an option.

And the sale price was not what most industry pundits were expecting it would be. It was quite a bit lower.

Either they were unable to find a buyer willing to pay more for it, or there's some larger strategy.

IIRC, the owner was using a variety of excuses to move and upgrade the station. There were several companies looking at the facility when it sold, but they obviously did not want to pay as much.

When the video appeared, the then-KPRI was attempting to get the station moved out of North County (Oceanside) by reaching an agreement with the Tijuana non-com on 102.9 and was getting quite skilled at making its case.

The video I'm referencing was posted after the sale to EMF was announced.

I am hearing them also on 95.3 FM.

I’m hearing distorted Spanish language religion on 95.3 in the 290-Beltway 8 area. This may be the new LPFM that is licensed to the same tower as KPFT. 10 watts according to the FCC database, which does not list a call. Weaker and clashing with KTTF at my house. Horrible modulation.

How were they able to get away with this for two decades?

Also, were they finally shut down by the FCC or did they fold on their own?

How were they able to get away with this for two decades?

Nobody wanted to attract the militant wrath of the UFW.

Also, were they finally shut down by the FCC or did they fold on their own?

The FCC fined them, based on an investigation of another United Farm Worker station in CA. There, a corporate farming organization that was in difficult labor negotiations with the UFW hit back by complaining about a variety of UFW business practices.

All that they did was pay the fine and buy a commercial AM, add a great translator, and become a full commercial station. They are now #2 in the Phoenix market in 18-49 per the January book.

Nobody wanted to attract the militant wrath of the UFW.
Are you joking or being serious? Considering how many labor unions at one point were run by the mob and how many of them use shady recruiting/expansion tactics, I can't tell if this is a joke or not?

It does seem kind of odd that a Labor Union needs nine Regional Mexican Stations, one Tejano station, and one beautiful music station. I wonder how they sell this to their due paying members?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom