• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KPFA/Pacifica in trouble because of NYC mismanagement

With the results in Chicago, I'd say that a properly done throwbacks station on 99.5 would do very well. I think that in markets like NYC and Chicago the format has more legs to not burn out so quickly. I don't think the numbers we've seen for WBMX are sustainable, but I think they will settle with a profitable operation for sure.

No. I think that with markets like NYC and Chicago the format has more legs then other markets. I don't expect WBMX or a NYC throwback station to sustain #1 in all the adult demos, but it will settle to a still very profitable level. Look at Vegas, Boston and Seattle. Those stations are doing pretty decent. New York is the birthplace of hip hop. There is no other market better suited for the throwback hip hop format than NYC is. Done right you have a station that will consistently get top 10 numbers in all the adult demos.

No. I think that with markets like NYC and Chicago the format has more legs then other markets.

You obviously don't understand. The frequency is not for sale, thus theorizing about replacement formats is premature.

The current owners obviously have no interest in popular music, or demos, or advertising.

This frequency is operating as a non-commercial station.

It's called a hypothetical. These boards exist to discuss radio and to speculate about various different scenarios.

It's called premature. Also, this is the San Francisco board and you're discussing something about New York.

There's no point speculating about something that's not going to happen.

You might speculate about Entercom flipping 102.7. That's more likely.

Don't turn this into a political discussion because you don't understand the situation.

Last edited:
It's called premature. Also, this is the San Francisco board and you're discussing something about New York.

There's no point speculating about something that's not going to happen.

You might speculate about Entercom flipping 102.7. That's more likely.

Don't turn this into a political discussion because you don't understand the situation.

The thread has discussed the Pacifica property in New York. Beyond that, it was mentioned that there were no holes to fill in New York for 99.5.

Editor's Note: personal attack edited out. .

Last edited by a moderator:
I understand the situation very well. No one sells a $50 million property to pay a $2 million debt. That's already been established.

Beyond that, you're making assumptions about me personally that you know nothing about.

With the results in Chicago, I'd say that a properly done throwbacks station on 99.5 would do very well. I think that in markets like NYC and Chicago the format has more legs to not burn out so quickly. I don't think the numbers we've seen for WBMX are sustainable, but I think they will settle with a profitable operation for sure.

The results in Chicago are based on just a few months of success. This is similar to what we've seen in other markets, where there is a mushroom cloud of initial "oh, wow" curiosity. That soon fades into a much smaller size, both in cume and TSL.

The issue is that the classic hits format on the station in Chicago got around a 3 share in 25-54 before the flip. I am guessing, based on looking at all the other markets where the format has been done, that the all throwback format will fade to that level or below by the end of the year. And, given that both the Black and Hispanic population percentages in NYC are very similar to those of Chicago, we might expect similar results on such a format in The Big Apple.

At the beginning, these stations are often temporary P1's for some people and a good P2 for many. The P1s soon fade, and the P2s listen less. What we are seeing is generally a share that is half or less of the share they get in initial months. Quite a few of these throwback stations, particularly from the first wave of flips, have gone and flipped again.

Last edited:
I suspect he is talking about country, which was discussed in another thread. That format is served in both markets by smaller class-A's and/or rim-shots that have been found by fans of that music from what I can tell.

Dave B.

Nash in NYC is hardly a rimshot. It just is not able to be on the Empire State Building or the new Trade tower. But is well inside the metro, a full B and, except for the eastern parts of Long Island, covers well. It has the issue of not being in Manhattan so there is a lot of shadowing there, but for many formats, that borough itself is not all that important.

In the cases of New York and San Francisco, the limitations of the country format are due to lifestyle, not signal coverage.

As for Pacifica, I can think of no other broadcaster who has circled the bowl longer without going down the drain.

I'll believe they're gone when they're gone. They always seem to come up with some way to hang on.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom