• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KEGY Yikes!

Immediate impact with the frequency swap. In the latest 6+ they have dropped to a 1 share with XHTZ up and KHTS flat but in the CHR lead. I can't imagine 18-49 looks to great. Will Entercom go Sports with this in time for the Padres season or be patient and give it the half year to a year it takes for listeners to get accustomed to a signal change? This would be a steep uphill battle with two heritage CHR's and a Rhythm CHR all ahead.

KSON ratings dropped as well. So, would someone please explain to me why Entercom did the frequency swap? The 97.3 and 103.7 coverage areas are not that dramatically different. Yes, I understand Entercom had to sell 92.1, which was a KSON repeater -- but the audience loss from the frequency switch was probably much greater than the loss from losing 92.1.

The 97.3 and 103.7 coverage areas are not that dramatically different.

KEGY's 65 dbu signal reaches 2.2 million, while the "new" KSON reaches 2,900,000. That is a difference of considerable significance.

The "old" KSON relied on the Class A in North County to fill in the huge hole in the station's coverage.

We'll see how long it takes to recover. Having said that, December is typically a low month for the country format, and as I look at other markets, this year is no exception.

So they made this change at a time that could hurt them the least.

KEGY's 65 dbu signal reaches 2.2 million, while the "new" KSON reaches 2,900,000. That is a difference of considerable significance.

The "old" KSON relied on the Class A in North County to fill in the huge hole in the station's coverage.
The difference in coverage may be true on paper. But speaking as a listener who lives in San Diego and has tested both signals in North County (where KSON''s old coverage was a bit low), I can tell you there wasn't much difference in the real world. The surest proof of that came in the early 2000's, when KSON added 92.1 as a repeater. Overall ratings barely changed.

Right now many markets can't support 2 chr stations, San Diego has 3! Obviously 1037 didn't provide much incentive for listeners to follow them to another frequency since they still had the same music on 93.3 and 90.3, people are lazy, they still have 2 chr choices on their presets. In a case like this you need a strong reset your preset campaign but it will only work if you have loyalty and passion for your product.

Nothing to lose as a lone country station and to do it during the xmas period when you lose listening to the ac any way is smart. I only say that based on the loyalty of country fans and the fact of only 1 option. They will make a point to find their country music once santa jam ends and yes many country females do go exclusively to the xmas station and leave it on all season!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom