• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Y100 History Question

ScottBurns

Star Participant
If I am not mistaken, was there a time - perhaps in the late 1980s or early 1990s - that Y100 focused on serving Fort Lauderdale/Broward rather than Miami? This obviously contrasts with Y's focus now, as they call themselves "Miami's Number One Hit Music Station."

If I am not mistaken, was there a time - perhaps in the late 1980s or early 1990s - that Y100 focused on serving Fort Lauderdale/Broward rather than Miami? This obviously contrasts with Y's focus now, as they call themselves "Miami's Number One Hit Music Station."

The mid to late 80's period was when we saw the "Will the last American leaving Miami please bring the flag" bumper stickers, and there were reports in the media about the reaction to the redneck dive in Sweetwater becoming a Cuban salsa bar.

Until this was put in perspective, there was a tendency to think "Miami = Spanish" and "Broward = English".

I think that Bill Tanner's Power 96 did a lot to bridge the gap with a station that became #1 with "no color lines" that showed how much in common all the market had.

Very interesting. I remember, growing up in the 80s, hearing few references to Miami and lots of references to all things Broward. Makes sense now.

I always remembered the live ID mentioning Miami, FTL, and the Palm Beaches. (sometimes ending with #1 Y100!)

This probably doesn't matter, but WHYI is licensed to Fort Lauderdale (Broward.) Not sure if, even back in the 80's, that made any difference.

This probably doesn't matter, but WHYI is licensed to Fort Lauderdale (Broward.) Not sure if, even back in the 80's, that made any difference.

As I was "in the building" from '80 to '84, there was always a feeling that the station sat in Hollywood, on the "border" between Dade and Broward. The antenna was on the Crowder tower, also on/near the County Line. And at the "other" end of the building, there was WHTT, which was a pure Dade play.

So I don't think it made any difference, although there was a consideration that Dade would underperform based on the high percentage of Spanish dominant Hispanics.

Did the station ever use "Hollywood" in it's ID back then? I kind of remember visiting South Florida, listening to Y100 and hearing the mention of Hollywood. (I also remember hearing "crank it up and piss off the neighbors" which was much more irreverent than Z100 New York's "crack it up and rip off the knob." )

I'm not sure if Hollywood was mentioned in the ID. But I do remember that nearly all of the station's remotes were in Broward. Many were in Hollywood.

"Local" was very important in those days. I grew up in Palm Beach County, and I remember my father always wanting to listen to "local" Palm Beach stations in the car, rather than "distant" Miami or Ft. Lauderdale stations.

I'm not sure if Hollywood was mentioned in the ID. But I do remember that nearly all of the station's remotes were in Broward. Many were in Hollywood.
Y-100 were at Six Flags Atlantis on a fairly regular basis back in the 80s and later on either they or Power 96 hosted concerts there. Pretty sure it was Y-100, though. I remember their legal ID being 'WHYI Fort Lauderdale, Miami and the Palm Beaches.' They moved from 29th Ave. in Hollywood to 1975 Sunrise Blvd. in Fort Lauderdale proper at some point which I believe was their last stop before going to the Clear Channel complex in Miramar.

I was there 1974-1982, as DJs we were always pushed to relate to both Miami and Ft Lauderdale equally, Dade/Broward. The point came clearer when 96X appeared and started movin' our audience in Dade County. Right about then, Y moved to a more cross-over music mix and it worked well. I think there were changes goin' on the world of music also, as usual. Mark In The Dark

I was back in South Florida living in Coral Springs from '94-'97. I noticed that all English speaking stations both radio and TV seemed to focus more on Broward than Dade. I don't know if it was deliberate. I tend to think it was just the way things worked out. A lot of people I knew moved from Dade to Broward.

I don't ever recall Y-100 using Hollywood in their legal ID. I always thought the whole legal ID thing was stupid. The legal ID should be your actual location not just the community of license. That's an argument for another time!

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood were separately rated markets until the late 70s or early 80s. You could pay Arbitron for a combined book (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.) There was a big fight about combining the markets. The limited coverage AMs in both markets wanted the separate book to continue because they didn't have the coverage to reach both markets while the FMs wanted to combine the markets to pull in more national ad revenue. Obviously the FMs won.

Miami and Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood were separately rated markets until the late 70s or early 80s. You could pay Arbitron for a combined book (Miami/Ft. Lauderdale.) There was a big fight about combining the markets. The limited coverage AMs in both markets wanted the separate book to continue because they didn't have the coverage to reach both markets while the FMs wanted to combine the markets to pull in more national ad revenue. Obviously the FMs won.

Correct, the last separate Miami and Fort Lauderdale books were issued for the Fall 1981, the two markets were combined effective with the Spring 1982 survey.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom