WTOP dropped CBS News Radio for ABC News Radio - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WTOP dropped CBS News Radio for ABC News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    That's an interesting statement. Don't know what their working relationship is, other than none of their TV stations are CBS affiliates.

Their TV stations are mainly ABC affiliates, especially in the home state. So you may be right.
    Their throwaway sports talk AM in Phoenix had a choice between CBS Sports Radio and NBC Sports Radio when they started five years ago, they chose the inferior NBC product.
    The views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

It could be that CBS has changed their distribution deal from barter to ca$h. The economic outlook for news networks is not a healthy one. CNN pulled the plug on CNN radio a few years ago. Surprised at that especially since they had the resources of the TV network.
    I think the problem is that the majority of radio advertisers are using results based advertising. You might run 100 spots for a client and only bring in $100.
    That makes it hard to pay the bills.

Hubbard's stations in Twin Cities were traditionally NBC, both TV & radio. When NBC-TV was in 3rd place back in the 70s, they flipped them to ABC. Later, they bought the other ABC-TV affiliates in Minnesota.

Their arch rival in Minneapolis for decades, WCCO AM and TV, were always and still are CBS.

That may not be why they switched WTOP from CBS to ABC, but it was probably a factor.

WCFO (1160) and their sister station WMLB (1690) both Atlanta have dropped CBS news. They have been long time affiliates (20+ years).
    I will miss that piano "C" note at the top of the hour.

Quote Originally Posted by kf4rca View Post
    It could be that CBS has changed their distribution deal from barter to ca$h. The economic outlook for news networks is not a healthy one. CNN pulled the plug on CNN radio a few years ago. Surprised at that especially since they had the resources of the TV network.
    I think the problem is that the majority of radio advertisers are using results based advertising. You might run 100 spots for a client and only bring in $100.
    That makes it hard to pay the bills.
    With the new distribution arrangement....CBS News now begins with a sponsor opening....example:

CBS opening sounder---

Recorded "This is CBS News on the hour sponsored by (sponsor).....then the CBS newscaster says his or her name and begins the newscast.

It cheapens the presentation if you ask me.

Of course it proves once again that there is nothing new....back in the 1940s-50s....most of the national news on the hour broadcasts had sponsor ID at beginning but it's 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by MediaMan View Post
    It cheapens the presentation if you ask me.
    The other side of that is it's getting harder and harder to sell an aging and declining demographic.

"I will miss that piano "C" note at the top of the hour."

It was also heard it on its TV counterpart at top of each hour before programs. Also being a Shortwave listener, I remember the VOA (Voice of America) also used the piano "C" note at the top of the hour for its newscasts years ago.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12