WTOP dropped CBS News Radio for ABC News Radio
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WTOP dropped CBS News Radio for ABC News Radio

WTOP dropped CBS News Radio for ABC News Radio

From WTOP:

We appreciate all the great work that CBS has done for us, but management felt that ABC was a better choice at this point for content for our listeners.
    According to Paul Farhi of the Washington Post:

...it was a business decision—ie., ABC took fewer ad slots than CBS, giving WTOP more time to sell its own ads.

Wow...this is a big loss for CBS as they start the new year with a new distributor (ironically the same distributor as ABC).

CBS didn't help their situation, at one point launching a competitor with WNEW.

Wow That was a surprise to hear WTOP has dropped its affiliation to CBS News Radio though. However at this point if you cannot find a CBS News Radio affiliate in your area the feeds is here on the radio.com app and tunein app.

http://player.radio.com/listen/station/cbs-radio-news

https://tunein.com/radio/CBS-News-Radio-s129948/

Related question: Is CBS Radio news now part of Entercom? If so, at some point, they will need to transition away from the CBS Radio name.

Quote Originally Posted by AMRocks View Post
    Related question: Is CBS Radio news now part of Entercom?
    No...CBS News Radio is part of CBS News, which is still part of the CBS Corporation. They will retain the CBS name.

https://mobile.twitter.com/stevejone...-news-radio%2F

It turns out that other affiliates have signed on with ABC News Radio too besides WTOP.

CBS News Radio will face the same issues that ABC News Radio faced when they lost their captive radio network. ABC was able to stay around, and I expect CBS will do the same.

WSB Atlanta has now joined ABC radio news (which is also their sister TV station's network).

My guess is that the Hubbards have never had a very good working relationship with CBS.
    The views expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    My guess is that the Hubbards have never had a very good working relationship with CBS.
    That's an interesting statement. Don't know what their working relationship is, other than none of their TV stations are CBS affiliates.

Their TV stations are mainly ABC affiliates, especially in the home state. So you may be right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast