• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What’s going on with KYND?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mediafrog+

Walk of Fame Participant
Noiticed at several checks today and yesterday that KYND is transmitting dead air. Late in the afternoon I could hear KOKC underneath the open carrier. Wonder if they are any closer to finding someone to lease time?

whats the problem with kynd... why won't the station owners make that station work for themselves ? whats their problem ? if they are not interested broadcasters ..sell the station to someone that is interested in making the station what it was intended in the first place.."entertain" the public ..play good music..if they need a programer let me know..I have a killer bilingual spanish music program ready to go on the air now 14/7...nothing like what the monopoly stations play. This is Texas..lets entertain Texans...."Tejanos"...hope Mr. Turner will read this post,together we'll make this a station worth listening ...

Last edited:
Well, Nash, call me. I'll lease you the station.

If you've got something, based on your comments, you've heard the 90 second loop and if you heard the loop 5 minutes, the phone number in stuck in your head. The best way to answer your questions is to call.

I'm waiting by the phone.

You have to put up the cash... everyone has the magic format that could make so much money. Good luck to Kynd

Not that I'm a player for purchase, but out of curiosity, would you ever consider selling the station or are you just leasing?

I have a killer bilingual spanish music program ready to go on the air now 14/7...nothing like what the monopoly stations play. This is Texas..lets entertain Texans...."Tejanos"...hope Mr. Turner will read this post,together we'll make this a station worth listening ...
Seeing how Houston has lost two Spanish language formats in 2017, this is a risk.

Tejano seems to have died off in the late 90s. It could become a strong niche if done right. Not a ratings killer, but with the right salespeople you could be on to something.

Let me address a few things...

Our 'silence' issue, we think, was power spikes shutting off the audio. It wouldn't reset, so somebody had to drive out and manually do this. It was so frustrating that you'd drive out, restart it and by the time you got back home, it was off again. It's resolved. At least we weren't having a client we had to credit for lost airtime! We believe we nipped that on in the bud. At least it hasn't happened again.

I'm on now 8 to 4:30. By cutting 1.5 hours, we save around $300+ in electricity.

What's our problem? Try no income since September. Compare that personally to yourself: Imagine no job, no income for months on end but all of the ordinary monthly bills like rent, car, food, electricity, etc. coming month after month. Running the 90 second plea is akin to job hunting. Running a format is like deciding to play video games all day instead of looking for a job. What would you be doing?

Why don't we make the station work for us? Not sure what that means. I field calls every day. Nobody has signed on the dotted line yet. It will work for us once we find that next qualified client.

If we're not interested broadcasters, sell the station. You have no clue. I took your comment to be rather mean spirited and written by someone who does not understand our situation. If you did, I doubt you would have written that. It usually takes a couple of years to sell a station from the time the decision is made to sell it. That's not always the case. It could be less time or more time. I've known of stations selling in months and some that have been trying to find a buyer for years.

We were intended to 'entertain' the public? What? To quote a friend, "Are you high?" There's no rule a station has to entertain. The FCC makes no rules about programming in general. Not every station is an entertainment station.

I'm still waiting for you call to lease the station to you so you can run the format that will make us worth listening to. Just pick up the phone. I suspect since you posted this you might not have your ducks in a row to sign a contract. The person that typically does says nothing about their plans publicly, fearing someone might one up them but calls the station they want to lease. Confidentiality is part of what I do, so I won't say what's coming or who I'm talking to. I could be very wrong about you. Nobody is doing a Texas oriented format in Houston. I've wondered why.

So, if you'd been sustaining a radio station for about 5 months, watching the bank account bleed dry, just what investment would you make with the remaining few dollars? A format, additional payroll and a good 2 or 3 years more of losing money before you can break even? Or would you keep saying you are for lease and fielding calls spending as little as you can? We run through the average Houston annual per capita income in about 4 weeks. And that's bare bones. Imagine how much fun that is.

KYND has a great signal, with it's 25KW which covers Houston and it's surrounding areas, very well. If you have the means, it would be money well spent. Remember, if you do, you have to promote it. It takes more than the rent to make it successful. Rent it and promote it. How? Billboards come to mind, a Facebook page, cable TV ads if you can afford it. Of course, it goes without saying, you need an aggressive sales person.

Thank you for the kind words Chuck. I believe we do have a good signal, nice facility and best of all, a low overhead.

When a station like ours is available it is almost as if the stars have to align to find the next client. A group looking for a Houston signal is part of a very small number nationwide. This small group is typically not saying they need a station. Typically you find the client through a broker or via an introduction. Unlike advertising sales where you can target the business and visit them, a client leasing a station is not known. In addition, if they were looking 6 months ago, they're likely not looking today. It can take a long time for everything to fall together. In fact, even once you find that client, you still might be 60 to 90 days out while they prepare to enter the market. If you do it right, you find that sweet spot or win-win situation where the client and station become like a cohesive team for the client's success. A true pro knows the station wants the client's success because that success means the station's success. Likewise the station knows creating the environment or situation where the client flourishes is the goal. It's certainly not an us and them but an us and us.

Hey B-Turner. I called the 281 number you listed on your station and I believe I spoke with you. I am a member of the LSU Alumni in Houston and was hoping to add KYND as an affiliate with help from other members. You said you aren't set up to retransmit an LSU Football broadcast. You sounded busy, so I ended the call.

My question to you is, "Why?"

Also, I enjoyed the work you did over the Christmas Holidays that spoke about the birth of Jesus and the stories about the census that took place, as well as the shepherds reaction to the birth. Kudos to you on that. I wish there really were an, "American Spiritual Network" affiliate I could listen to.

Thank you for the kind words about the Christmas Story. Man, was that a project! The American Spirit Network was envisioned to be a talk format of short programs, generally in the 3 to 5 minute range, with trivia and a subject matter of 'God, Family and Country'. The objective on the 'God' topic was to approach it from a cultural and historical aspect. While I secured some material others provided, such as authors and the like, most content needed to be written and produced. With two part-timers at best and mostly just me, we never realized the format idea. We would up being so overwhelmed it became so hard to get anything done we would up with little to show for it.

We had created a sample hour: top and bottom of the hour: a historical or religious event as reported as a news story as it would be presented today, a chapter from both the Old and New Testament in a everyday English translation, dramatized and orchestrated by a group of voices. We had segments rewritten from books on history to authors voicing a segment from their book (usually inspirational, motivational or dealing with some aspect of family) which was easy thanks to audio books. We did a trivia question each half hour and we had an 'out of left field' minute each half hour such as the law in Boston that forbade bathing on Saturday with a fine if caught. The emphasis was to be fast paced and lite versus scholarly and boring. If anyone had some really deep pockets to shell out for development, I think it would be something some folks would listen to. We even tossed around a possible setting of recurring characters as if it originated in a small town where some folks, like real life, were good and bad. The characters would share conversations dispensing the information. Each segment had it's place on a hot clock that repeated every 30 minutes.

I remember speaking with you. I apologize if you got the impression I was busy. That is rare but I'll tell you and phone you back just as soon as I get free. There are a couple of rules of thumb, however: to make the phone ring, go to the bathroom or be about to enter a school zone while driving.

My owners and family are U of H and LSU alumni. So, they'd love it.

Let me explain how KYND works: we lease all of our broadcast day, 365 days a year, to a client or perhaps a couple of clients that provide the programming and pay us to air it. Imagine if you will that you have purchased a building on a busy street corner that is zoned commercial by the city or county. You put a for rent sign out. You don't know who might want to rent. One person might rent the whole building. Maybe 2. Maybe there might me more tenants than that. I don't know the business they will conduct in that space they lease. That tenant will decide what that business will be. KYND operates like that building. At this point I cannot add any inventory because I don't know who will release the whole building.

KYND now has it's studio in it's transmitter room and it is the most bare bones it can be. We're talking a Behringer mixer (sounds great on AM), a CD deck, minidisc unit and a microphone setting on the tool/spare parts table. We hope to never use it because the noise in that tiny little building is pretty substantial, not to mention the RF. There's no phone there. It's just a building in a field under some towers. Most alumni that get an affiliate need to air local commercials to offset the cost of airtime. As it is right now, that's not easy.

To say now I'd do LSU, we're talking committing to something that might be contrary to what a future client wants on the station. And the contract for LSU sports would not be accepted unless it paid our year-long operating expenses. I'm not saying no but I sure cannot say yes right now. And the price I'd need with nobody buying my broadcast day would be so astronomical for a 'per game' price, it's absurd. Literally I'd have to charge you what it costs us to be on the air 365 days a year with a little for emergencies.

The way I see it, the one making the decision of whether or not to become an LSU affiliate will be the client that leases the station.

If you are still thinking we might be a good candidate or whether you might be calling plenty of stations, consider the times the games will air. On the AM dial, there are stations like KYND that are only allowed to operate sunrise to sunset. There are stations that must reduce power at sunset or change the direction where that power goes once sunset occurs. A 24/7 station might had the right coverage or maybe not. I can help you figure out a good station.

As you look for a station, even if it is not KYND, I'll always be willing to help and answer any questions you might have. Feel free to call any time. The important thing is you get a good deal and the right station. By the way, this is not a bad time to be looking. There are typically fewer stations than games to be aired. The early bird gets the better station at the better price.

I got a call a few minutes ago and the guy said at the rate we wanted he could buy a station. He's right. The problem is he'd have the note payment and all the costs of operation. He simply didn't get that. That's why he didn't think I was being truthful when I said you can lease a station for less than you can buy one. My owners have zero debt and our price reflects that. And they don't think KYND should be a cash cow. There's much more to it than the electric bill. Funny, it's not that anything is so very expensive but when you add up all the entities taking a bit of money each month, man does it add up. My advice is to consider leasing a couple of years or more before you buy. You want your expenses as low as you can get until the advertising catches up.

I would move KYND's studio out of it's transmitter building and run it remotely through Internet. Does the field it's in have Internet set up?
You could get a spare computer to run audio to it's transmitter and broadcast from home or something. That way, it's easier to change programming as you see fit.

All of that takes money and payroll. I have neither. And where would we move it? Rack up rent somewhere? A group leasing the station needs no studio. They have their own. It might be a pain going out there especially after my salary cut, but that's just part of the job. What you mention is fine for a station doing its own format. We're not that sort of station. We lease to a single client. Back when we had an owned building with studio, production studio and such our clients never used it even back when their direct line went down. They stayed at their offices/studios and waited on the phone company to fix it.

I am a member of the LSU Alumni in Houston and was hoping to add KYND as an affiliate with help from other members.
Have you tried approaching one of the Spanish stations? Texas Tech found a comfy home on ESPN Deportes for Football/Basketball. Daytime signal used to be great on 1180 AM, but after they moved to 1230, it's only useful inside the city limits.

Good luck. It's been a while since LSU football has been heard in Houston.

Good luck. It's been a while since LSU football has been heard in Houston.

They were on KGOW 1560 for a while. While I don't know the reason they dropped it, one would think they would have kept the affiliation had it been a money maker. Although not an LSU alumni, I do listen to LSU games.

Most college game hear on radio here in Houston are aired because either the alumni or other entity purchased the time on the station airing the games. The money for the station doesn't come from the commercials sold but the buyer of the time. Generally the alumni sell the spots to recover the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom