• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What’s going on with KYND?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Nash, call me. I'll lease you the station.

If you've got something, based on your comments, you've heard the 90 second loop and if you heard the loop 5 minutes, the phone number in stuck in your head. The best way to answer your questions is to call.

I'm waiting by the phone.
Mr. Turner the problem is I do not have the money to lease the station...yes I have heard your repeated announcement about leasing the station...I do not understand why the owner prefers dead air and chances of loosing station license as to program it with listening worth music and give it a shot to be self sustained...I don't know how many watts you may be able to transmit..but I live in the Heights and barely hear it when you put something on the air...your announcement says 25k watts..but your real broadcast power is less than a 5K radio station,,am puzzled.. thanks for your reply... Nash

Nash, what transmitter are you looking at? You say we're running at less than 5k is a falsehood. I suppose you might have tuned in the very moment we were doing work at the tower site but I doubt it. I guess you understand AM signals are subject to outside interference. I drive the signal from time to time and your statement does not hold water.

KYND does not exist as your personal entertainment and amusement. How about you invest in the equipment, music library and payroll to put that music on KYND? Oh, you don't have the money as you explained. Guess what? KYND has been digging in to savings and beyond to keep the station going with ZERO revenue since Hurricane Harvey. I could rattle off many of the bills and amounts of money that fly out of the bank account each month but the point is when there is nothing going in that bank account the account runs out of money and that includes paying me. I could mention the total amount (at least ballpark it) and it would astound you as it does me. Let's just say you could buy a couple of average homes for that amount of cash and not carry a mortgage. And we almost have house #3 by now.

Instead of criticizing us, why aren't you seeking an investor or two and building a business plan, studying radio and trying to lease KYND? My Dad said there are two types of people: those that complain about it and those that change the situation. I'm working on changing the KYND situation. Might I suggest you try this route. You might just learn there is a path to doing what you never thought was possible. For many of us, me included, our biggest enemy is our own doubt. That applies to not only KYND but any goals or dreams you might have. I didn't just wind up in radio or running a station. I had to create that path to do so. I'm not preaching to you but saying thinking this way really changes things.

Leasing a station to a client is no picnic. You get tons of people that think you'll take anything. You get people who haven't the knowledge or desire to learn but the money. And you have people who want you to take all the risk. In all of that is the group that is perfect.

For example, let's say you own a home you are paying for and you rent it. Every month you write out a $1,000 check to cover everything. Somebody says, "Hey, the house is empty, so I'll pay you $250 a month on a one year lease". They're shocked you say no but when you ask them using this example, they say "No way,I'd be losing $750 a month every month".

Then you get the folks that say I have a killer format that will take the city by storm. I have to have the 'reality' talk with them: "We need money. We really don't care how many will listen. We don't care if we're a top station. We care about paying the bills each month." Listeners don't mean revenue until somebody sells the commercial and collects the payment. In summary, if you don't have the money to pay for the broadcast hours the value of your killer format is zero to us. The art of radio is creating programming that you can sell to business owner who get a return on their commercial investment. In other words, for radio to work, you have to monetize the programming. Programming can do nothing without sales and sales has nothing to sell without programming.

It is easy to blow through a million or two before you get to where you want to be with a format and then you build more to pay off the investment hoping nobody on the dial figures out they could do what you did, only better.

KYND is the venue looking for someone to take the stage. Those that take the stage have to fill the seats by selling tickets.

KYND isn't a group owner. We can't divert money from that station to this one.

There you have it, right from the guy that reports directly to the owners. I continue to search and follow up on leads looking for that right group we can work with for their success in Houston.

Nash, what transmitter are you looking at? You say we're running at less than 5k is a falsehood. I suppose you might have tuned in the very moment we were doing work at the tower site but I doubt it. I guess you understand AM signals are subject to outside interference. I drive the signal from time to time and your statement does not hold water.

KYND does not exist as your personal entertainment and amusement. How about you invest in the equipment, music library and payroll to put that music on KYND? Oh, you don't have the money as you explained. Guess what? KYND has been digging in to savings and beyond to keep the station going with ZERO revenue since Hurricane Harvey. I could rattle off many of the bills and amounts of money that fly out of the bank account each month but the point is when there is nothing going in that bank account the account runs out of money and that includes paying me. I could mention the total amount (at least ballpark it) and it would astound you as it does me. Let's just say you could buy a couple of average homes for that amount of cash and not carry a mortgage. And we almost have house #3 by now.

Instead of criticizing us, why aren't you seeking an investor or two and building a business plan, studying radio and trying to lease KYND? My Dad said there are two types of people: those that complain about it and those that change the situation. I'm working on changing the KYND situation. Might I suggest you try this route. You might just learn there is a path to doing what you never thought was possible. For many of us, me included, our biggest enemy is our own doubt. That applies to not only KYND but any goals or dreams you might have. I didn't just wind up in radio or running a station. I had to create that path to do so. I'm not preaching to you but saying thinking this way really changes things.

Leasing a station to a client is no picnic. You get tons of people that think you'll take anything. You get people who haven't the knowledge or desire to learn but the money. And you have people who want you to take all the risk. In all of that is the group that is perfect.

For example, let's say you own a home you are paying for and you rent it. Every month you write out a $1,000 check to cover everything. Somebody says, "Hey, the house is empty, so I'll pay you $250 a month on a one year lease". They're shocked you say no but when you ask them using this example, they say "No way,I'd be losing $750 a month every month".

Then you get the folks that say I have a killer format that will take the city by storm. I have to have the 'reality' talk with them: "We need money. We really don't care how many will listen. We don't care if we're a top station. We care about paying the bills each month." Listeners don't mean revenue until somebody sells the commercial and collects the payment. In summary, if you don't have the money to pay for the broadcast hours the value of your killer format is zero to us. The art of radio is creating programming that you can sell to business owner who get a return on their commercial investment. In other words, for radio to work, you have to monetize the programming. Programming can do nothing without sales and sales has nothing to sell without programming.

It is easy to blow through a million or two before you get to where you want to be with a format and then you build more to pay off the investment hoping nobody on the dial figures out they could do what you did, only better.

KYND is the venue looking for someone to take the stage. Those that take the stage have to fill the seats by selling tickets.

KYND isn't a group owner. We can't divert money from that station to this one.

There you have it, right from the guy that reports directly to the owners. I continue to search and follow up on leads looking for that right group we can work with for their success in Houston.

Mr. Turner... Owning a radio station license is not about an owner avoiding financial responsibility waiting on some party to come along and risk their money trying a format that may or may not fail. The licensee has a legal duty to operate that station in a manner that serves the public interest, convenience, and necessity. Playing an endless loop of -- "please lease me" -- garbage is NOT operating in the public interest. If your owner/licensee can't find someone to pay to LMA the station, then your owner/licensee needs to run the station himself. If he can't afford to do so, then he needs to sell or surrender it. What your owner is doing is no different than the antics of another infamous broadcaster on this discussion board. The only difference is he has enough sense to not wastefully burn electricity when there's no revenue...

Last edited:
Mr. Turner... Owning a radio station license is not about an owner avoiding financial responsibility waiting on some party to come along and risk their money trying a format that may or may not fail. The licensee has a legal duty to operate that station in a manner that serves the public interest, convenience, and necessity. Playing an endless loop of -- "please lease me" -- garbage is NOT operating in the public interest. If your owner/licensee can't find someone to pay to LMA the station, then your owner/licensee needs to run the station himself. If he can't afford to do so, then he needs to sell or surrender it. What your owner is doing is no different than the antics of another infamous broadcaster on this discussion board. The only difference is he has enough sense to not wastefully burn electricity when there's no revenue...

I don't think the FCC actually cares what you put on a radio station, aside from the usual public service stuff that is in reality more of a tune-out for the average listener than anything, and you properly document it for the public file.

You could literally air a loop of fart noises for 167 hours per week, and a PSA show for 1 hour per week and nobody in Washington would care.

The Commission has a long-standing policy of not determining what constitutes acceptable programming.

The FCC is well aware of the challenges facing AM stations, particularly those that are daytime or highly directional. I don't think that they will find anything wrong with the business model that KYND has established, and they are sure to take into account the hardships in the market following the hurricane.

Many brokered or leased stations actually provide a service to special audiences or minority communities. Leasing is a way to serve such groups which may not have among them someone with the money to actually buy a station.

There is nothing wrong with what they are doing now at KYND, and the community has plenty of other voices doing a lot of different kinds of programming.

And I assume you think you write FCC Rules and Regulations. Your ignorance abounds. You haven't a clue.

I assume you were referring to Uknowit wrote.

You have to bear in mind, he was running a pirate radio station until very recently. He convinced himself, but nobody else apparently, that a failed LMA for a deleted LPTV station on channel 5 somehow gave him authorization to broadcast at 87.9 FM.

If you can come up with something that ridiculous, and convince yourself that it's legitimate, reality is really whatever you choose to make of it.

Thanks for the comments. Knowing who the poster is, I get it. I know much more than I said here. I just can't reveal everything going on behind the scenes at the moment. The cat will have to stay in the bag for now.

I assume you were referring to Uknowit wrote.

You have to bear in mind, he was running a pirate radio station until very recently. He convinced himself, but nobody else apparently, that a failed LMA for a deleted LPTV station on channel 5 somehow gave him authorization to broadcast at 87.9 FM.

If you can come up with something that ridiculous, and convince yourself that it's legitimate, reality is really whatever you choose to make of it.

I'm not who you think I am.

Thanks to both b-turner and Uknowit as both state valid claims and interesting opinions about how to operate a radio station. I hope that KYND can find a paying lease partner - it's hard to figure why other leased programmers on lower power stations here wouldn't want to step up to a bigger daytime signal that clearly covers more of the Houston market. (2Speakers: You made the allegation, so post the screenshot.)

(2Speakers: You made the allegation, so post the screenshot.)

Really, no point in doing so. Apparently, someone with the banhammer figured it out.

They basically detailed the extremely tortured logic by which his "church" had authority to operate on 87.9, and the tacit approval of the FCC. Obviously, given the recent enforcement action against the 87.9 pirate, the Commission hadn't given their approval to anything. It had apparently just never been brought to their attention before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom