• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What’s going on with KYND?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would be fine but I don't have what I need to do that. And why do so? That will not be the format. We will have a client that has no use for anything I would set up at my expense and labor. I just can't see the point. I have to ask myself how that finds me billing.

KYND-AM is now for sale. I now have a listing to sell KYND-AM from the licensee. If you are a serious buyer with the financial resources to pay cash please contact me. Dave Garland Media Brokerage [email protected]. This is the first time this station has ever been on the market. There are no studios, you will have to build and equip your own.

KYND-AM is now for sale.

Asking a particular selling price? Or whatever they can get?

Not a surprise given the lack of a programming client the past five months.

KYND has been on the air for about 30 years now. If I am not mistaken it was the last "totally new" AM station to sign on in the Houston market; that is, not an upgrade or a move-in.

Will be interesting to see who eventually gets it. Spanish language religion the most likely future programming.

No way aleluya already covers the market and they are trying to get rid of stations (letting la calle) use the 880 signal or espn using the 1230 station. Wish the 1520 signal was a bit more solid. I live in Pearland and the signa is not as clear as I would expect with the amount of power the station has.

Aleluya is not 'letting' them use stations, they are leasing them. It is part of their business model. A nice portfolio of assets and a certain income level that allows the ministry to do more without paying to lease stations. A little profit off each lease can go to finance their radio ministry, lowering their actual cost of their stations carrying the ministry.

KYND has been on the air for about 30 years now. If I am not mistaken it was the last "totally new" AM station to sign on in the Houston market; that is, not an upgrade or a move-in.

Close, KYND came on in November 1987, but KSEV signed on in October 1988, so AM 700 KSEVen wins by a year as most recent AM startup.

Close, KYND came on in November 1987, but KSEV signed on in October 1988, so AM 700 KSEVen wins by a year as most recent AM startup.

The call KYND was originally on 92.5 which moved to 92.9 and later became KKBQ-FM..KYND is a heritage/legacy call in Houston.
The 1520 signal I think was something else before KYND...Have to check the archives

The call KYND was originally on 92.5 which moved to 92.9 and later became KKBQ-FM..KYND is a heritage/legacy call in Houston.
The 1520 signal I think was something else before KYND...Have to check the archives

Per FCCdata.org that's the only callsign they have ever had.

You are forgetting KSEV’s predecessor, KTBT, which signed on before KYND. October 1988 would have been the sale and flip to KSEV, which started with an all-business format.

The KYND call was also on 92.1 for a short time in the mid-1980’s, in between KZRQ and the second incarnation of KLEF, which later became KRTS (now KROI.)

Back in the 1960’s I recall the KYND call was on 1580 in the Phoenix market.

David is correct, the current KYND 1520 signed on with that call.

That is correct. The only calls 1520 has had is KYND, handpicked by the owner when he found the calls were available. He had been a listener of KYND FM and liked the call letters.

Actually KYND signed on in 1991, not 1987.

I recall it being the late 80's. However KYND in its early years operated very sporadically--being on for a few days, then disappearing for weeks or months. Almost as if it was in extended testing mode. 1991 might have been when "regular" broadcasting began, thus the discrepancy in when KYND actually "signed on."

AM stations have been in decline a very long time. What kept them going were all the pay broadcasters leasing time. But the pendulum has swung. Now most of the would be leasees have migrated their programming to FM translators. AM stations like KYND, KLVL, KGOL, and KGBC sit unleased, while those willing to take a lot less cash KCOH, KMIC are simply used to meet the legal requirements of having an FM translator on the air.

Yes, KYND is for sale, and its owners are asking for more than its worth now, and far more than what it will be worth in a few years.

Just like the owner of KLLS-AM, who was quoted as asking for $250,000 for a worthless station he paid $100 for. Is it on the air? Hardly. He promises it will be when he gets a translator... Most likely it will be...but just the light bulb power FM translator without the AM. The cost in electricity to run the old AM transmitter is more than his station can make in that market.

In Marshal, an AM was recently sold for $35K. In Longview, the legendary KFRO recently sold for $5K.

5G wireless towers are popping up all over Houston, and 5G is about the blanket this country, with unlimited data and download speeds up to 1 gig a second. All media is going to be distributed through these towers, making terrestrial broadcast TV, radio, and especially AM totally obsolete.

So, in my humble opinion, KYND is worth about $200K right now. In five years it will be worth half that. Probably a lot less!

Last edited:
KYND never applied for a license until 1991. It might have been Mike Vendetti doing some work on building and then testing. From the paperwork I saw, KYND was still trying to win the grant at that time. Back then it took years to get a station. You had to get the FCC to allocate a frequency. Then they issued a public notice allowing anyone to apply for that frequency. My owner was one of seven applicants fighting it out to be the last man standing in order to be awarded the Construction Permit. There's a very interesting story of how my owner got one applicant to back down and drop their application. I started talking to the owner in February 1993 and started at the station in July 1993. The delay was in waiting for everything to be in place to go to 3,000 watts from the applied for power of 500 watts.

When the station went on, a manager was hired and worked the station the first year. In the beginning the manager ran the board for the first 5 or 6 hours, recording the programming on a VCR tape. That tape was rewound as a 12:30 pm program played. At 1 pm the VCR was started repeated the morning programs as the manager went out to sell.

When I arrived, there were two announcers working workdays, one part-time. One guy worked sign on to sign off on Saturday. A retired engineer pulled Sunday morning and did a little engineering during the shift. Sunday afternoon was run by a guy who got to play 70s oldies after the paid programming on Sunday afternoon if he'd work the shift. I was hired to do sales. I recall the station has under $6,000 a month in revenue when I arrived. In addition the directional was not too stable.

Until I arrived, the owner only checked in with the station about once a week. After I started everybody saw him almost daily. It might have had something I said in my interview. I shared with him that the last station I worked had an owner that would just disappear for days. When something needed to be done, there was nobody left in charge. I'd make a decision and I always got called in to his office and reamed for overstepping my authority. For example when the high school baseball team went to state and won the first game, they were to play again later that day but the owner wasn't there to okay us carrying the second game, so I stepped up to the plate and we got it on the air. When the owner finally reappeared I was yelled at for authorizing that. The truth be told, if he had been around he would have done the same thing I did. I hated being in that position. The morale at KYND changed to positive when the owner came in almost daily. They had been without a GM for a good 6 to 8 months before I showed up. There was nobody even doing sales.

In fact, we'd start making inroads and signing up new clients only to have the directional go out and by the time it was brought back in we lost all the gains we made. Finally after a couple of years we took a direct lightning strike and pretty much had to replace the transmitter and phasing cabinet. It took months of the owner doing extra work to pay for it and we lost about 60% of our billing by the time the work was completed.

With the new phasor and transmitter things turned around for us and we evolved from a preaching/teaching format to mostly foreign language. In fact, we had a foreign language broadcaster that bought our unsold afternoon hours (I think it was 3 to 5) on weekdays. As the national ministries we had on didn't like that, they dropped one by one and this successful foreign language broadcaster bought the hours until the point he had every weekday hour but one.

Even at that point, it was 'take what you could get' on rates. If a nation ministry would only pay you $20 for a half hour but they attracted the right bunch of folks for the station, we took the deal. The exception was those local ministries that paid from their pocket and were just plain nice folks. I charged them only what they could comfortably spend. I'd give that break to those that we all enjoyed visiting with and always paid us in advance if they didn't have anything more than what was in their wallet for a cash reserve (ie: a fellow that was a small church pastor that got gas money versus a salary to pastor the tiny church).

Then about 16 years ago or so, a client wanted 100% of our airtime and we went for it. KYND has been purely brokered time since then. When KYND upgraded to 25,000 watts at a different location, the staff was let go and it was just me. This was after Matt, the original owner, passed and the station went to his son and daughter.

While up for sale, we are still looking for a client to lease the station. I can tell a potential client how that can work but shouldn't share details here.

By the way, the first paid program KYND had was Julius Tupa's Polka Express, airing 9 to 11 Saturday morning. I recall he paid $150 for the two hours. Amid all the problems the station had, Julius never complained, so his rate never went up because he stuck with us through thick and thin. Anyway, he did the program from his own pocket, never really making any money off the program and we always enjoyed a visit from Julius.

Thanks Bill, we appreciate your truly classic look back through the rear view mirror - best of luck finding new connections.

5G wireless towers are popping up all over Houston, and 5G is about the blanket this country, with unlimited data and download speeds up to 1 gig a second. All media is going to be distributed through these towers, making terrestrial broadcast TV, radio, and especially AM totally obsolete.

There is no such thing as "5G towers". What you are referring to is likely small cells being erected in ROW property. These small cells are not exclusive to "5G". They are currently being used for LTE services (and in some cases UMTS and CDMA).

Also, 5G won't be as widespread as you think. Some wireless carriers are actually considering using 5G exclusively as a fixed wireless internet solution. The high band frequencies (15 Ghz, 28 Ghz, 37-40 Ghz, etc) At&t and Verizon plan to use will make it very hard for "5G" to work on mobile devices. These frequencies are susceptible to high interference and cannot penetrate walls like the Cellular and PCS bands.

If 5G ever does arrive to mobile phones, it'll have to be through the 3.5 Ghz band that T-Mobile is pushing the FCC to put up for auction (and even then, it'll be hard to get indoors)
So, in my humble opinion, KYND is worth about $200K right now. In five years it will be worth half that. Probably a lot less!
I don't know how much it's worth, but I do know that it has to be one of the stations in Houston with the lowest value due to it's daytimer status.

Last edited:
Just like the owner of KLLS-AM, who was quoted as asking for $250,000 for a worthless station he paid $100 for. Is it on the air? Hardly. He promises it will be when he gets a translator... Most likely it will be...but just the light bulb power FM translator without the AM. The cost in electricity to run the old AM transmitter is more than his station can make in that market.

Well, Well, MR N5TZQ, you dont know me or my station....OR what I paid for the station....(the license was $100...but the land and equipment was not)...
As for my transmitter, its a DAX 3 solid state, NOT an "old" AM transmitter.....once the FETs arrive it will return to the air...and I follow the rules...the translator can only stay on 24 hrs past the AM signal going off.....UNLIKE others, I follow the the rules......so keep your incorrect info to yourself.....

(and I AM WB5ITT, NON Vanity.......Advanced Class since 1974!! Asst Chief Engineer of KLVI at age 18...YEAH I KNOW MY BUSINESS...now keep to your own)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom