• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

December Ratings

Yes, because of what I mentioned... peer group influence at school.

Back when Don Kelly consulted KKFR in the late 80s, the plan was to superserve Hispanic females to take advantage of diary weighting. So in the late 80's, we played a lot of freestyle records... but we would also find rock/pop records that did well in weekly callout research with Hispanic women and played them during the day alongside Mellow Man Ace and Sweet Sensation to broaden the station's appeal. And yes, you could find Phil Collins records that tested well with Latinas back in the day. Sometimes it led to train wrecks, but we played the hits.

Might as well throw in a word or two about the decline of KSWG. Two likely factors might be their power decrease which may be temporary. Also the fact that they no longer play classics by such artists as Haggard and Jones and they seem to be more and more like KNIX and KMLE.

If Hispanics were the dominant factor it would seem that most of the top rated stations would be programmed in Spanish. Tucson has an even higher percentage of Mexican-Americans and only one Spanish station is anywhere near the top.

Despite them not showing up in the Nielsen 6+ numbers for various reasons (most likely not wanting to pay $$$), we always forget that KRDE 94.1 exists, and boasts their "added coverage" to the East Valley. Now, it sounds like an old-fashioned small-town radio station (they still have Fox News at the top of the hour, when KSWG got rid of ABC a few years back) and their website looks like they haven't updated it since 1999 (no streaming!), but they still seem to be the closest thing to KSWG the East Valley has (there's also KVIT 90.7). They're definitely not looking for national agency buys, but I wonder what that station's numbers are if they have a PPM encoder.

Despite them not showing up in the Nielsen 6+ numbers for various reasons (most likely not wanting to pay $$$), we always forget that KRDE 94.1 exists, and boasts their "added coverage" to the East Valley. Now, it sounds like an old-fashioned small-town radio station (they still have Fox News at the top of the hour, when KSWG got rid of ABC a few years back) and their website looks like they haven't updated it since 1999 (no streaming!), but they still seem to be the closest thing to KSWG the East Valley has (there's also KVIT 90.7). They're definitely not looking for national agency buys, but I wonder what that station's numbers are if they have a PPM encoder.

KRDE got a zip in December, but usually has a 0.1 to a 0.2 12+ share.

Modern Country sucks just as badly as does modern Pop.

I ran into a 13-year old girl yesterday who was listening to her phone. I asked who she was listening to. Her answer? FRANK SINATRA! MIGOD....there IS hope!!!!

Ran across an eighteen year old Saturday in a second hand store in Tempe going through vinyl records looking for the same type music.

Ran across an eighteen year old Saturday in a second hand store in Tempe going through vinyl records looking for the same type music.

There will always be outliers. Teens generally follow current musical trends like sheep, but yes, there are always exceptions, just not enough of them to bring down the average age of listeners to radio stations that play oldies or standards.

In fact most teens I know listen to no radio at all, just internet-based music.

Must teens we know think the Media Hut is a knock-off of Pizza Hut! However, the Nurse and I find a lot of adults listening to their music on smartphones vs terrestrial radio. Get exactly what you want, when you want it.

In fact most teens I know listen to no radio at all, just internet-based music.

Me too. In fact the ONLY time I listen to radio is when I am driving my Genesis (it is 5 years old and has 17,000 miles on it so you can see I don't drive it much).

Must teens we know think the Media Hut is a knock-off of Pizza Hut! However, the Nurse and I find a lot of adults listening to their music on smartphones vs terrestrial radio. Get exactly what you want, when you want it.

I have a ton of music on my smartphone but don't listen to it there. I much prefer my Sansa Clip which is much smaller and much lighter.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom