• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOGL: Did the '90s ever even happen?

Saw a story yesterday where sister WOMC-FM in Detroit has also dropped the 90's. Both Philadelphia and Detroit have sister AC's for the 90's.

Now nobody plays more 80's than WOGL. I guess this was an Entercom decision? No more '60'-'80's hits. Then again, they just about dropped the '60's.
WOGL is most likely trying to reinvent themselves. Breakfast club is awful!

That would seem to indicate it's going to be very difficult to move the Classic Hits/Classic Rock format forward past the 80s

Classic hits stations should remain 60's, 70's and 80's, period. No need for 90's tunes at all. While the 90's are 25 years ago, they sound to "modern" to be considered music that would fit a classic hits format. KRTH made the mistake of venturing into that territory. There are way too many genres in the 90's to make it a viable choice for classic hits stations. And on top of that, stations are making the moves to "newer" classics too fast. Years ago, it took oldies stations many years (even a decade or two) to move beyond the 50's, 60's and 70's. What's the rush today?? There are still plenty of 70's and 80's left to play!

Classic hits stations should remain 60's, 70's and 80's, period. No need for 90's tunes at all. While the 90's are 25 years ago, they sound to "modern" to be considered music that would fit a classic hits format. KRTH made the mistake of venturing into that territory. There are way too many genres in the 90's to make it a viable choice for classic hits stations. And on top of that, stations are making the moves to "newer" classics too fast. Years ago, it took oldies stations many years (even a decade or two) to move beyond the 50's, 60's and 70's. What's the rush today?? There are still plenty of 70's and 80's left to play!

I $u$pect many rea$on$ to $neak in $ome 90$ tune$ i$ to lure in $ome of the younger money demographic$. It'$ ea$ier to $ell.

K-Earth was Oldies in 1972, making the oldest songs 17 years old. By that reasoning, the oldest songs now should be from 2001!

There are still plenty of 70's and 80's left to play!

The 20-year-old CHR listener in 1988 is 50 years old now, only five years away from becoming poison to advertisers. Not only is '60s and '70s music becoming increasingly unplayable, '80s music is getting pretty long in the tooth, too. At some point, classic hits stations are going to have to find a way to get the '90s into the format, or just chuck everything before 1990 and go whole-hog '90s/'00s. Even that may not work because of the animosity between the rhythmic/hip-hop and rock/pop camps. The musical middle ground has disappeared.

90s Classic Hip Hop has been a flash in the pan, 80s/90s country is doing OK in some markets but not others, and 90s pop? Good luck on finding enough titles folks can agree on.

90s Classic Hip Hop has been a flash in the pan, 80s/90s country is doing OK in some markets but not others, and 90s pop? Good luck on finding enough titles folks can agree on.

It's a huge problem. People who grew up on '60s Top 40 could accept "Respect" and "Get Off My Cloud" on the same station 20 years later. People who grew up on '90s CHR, because they had a choice back then when CHR split into rock and rhythmic, most likely won't stand for "When I Come Around" and "Baby Got Back" on the same station today. But is the answer to just simply keep playing the '70s and '80s? Sooner or later, both types of '90s music fans will desire their own classic hits stations (and advertisers will want to keep reaching them) and they're not going to accept their parents' and grandparents' music as a substitute.

Because you may or may not be representative of the larger audience. You need a bigger view.

What represents a bigger view than history? There's never been a generation that has abandoned the popular music of its teens/twenties en masse for the popular music of a past generation.

Yes, some baby boomers, with advancing age, have developed an appreciation for '40s Big Band music or even non-popular genres like classical, but they are nonpersons to radio and its advertisers. Same goes for people who had '70s music as the soundtrack of their late teens/early 20s preferring doo-wop 30 years later. It happens, but not to anywhere close to a majority of them, and not to people who matter to commercial radio.

Point taken. The response about tastes was intended--and wrongly not quoted, for which I apologize--about accepting two types/genres from the '90s. The statement about multiple eras was indeed part of the same prior post...live and learn when it comes to not checking to verify the intended sentence was included.

What represents a bigger view than history? There's never been a generation that has abandoned the popular music of its teens/twenties en masse for the popular music of a past generation.

Yes, some baby boomers, with advancing age, have developed an appreciation for '40s Big Band music or even non-popular genres like classical, but they are nonpersons to radio and its advertisers. Same goes for people who had '70s music as the soundtrack of their late teens/early 20s preferring doo-wop 30 years later. It happens, but not to anywhere close to a majority of them, and not to people who matter to commercial radio.

Strictly speaking, everything before the late 1970s should be gone by now. The only reason it isn't is that younger people like some of the music well enough for it to be part of their regular musical diet, despite not being there for the songs original popularity. There is a time limit on that however and we are quickly approaching it.

Strictly speaking, everything before the late 1970s should be gone by now. The only reason it isn't is that younger people like some of the music well enough for it to be part of their regular musical diet, despite not being there for the songs original popularity.

I think you're making an assumption about that. The reason they might play certain songs is because they test well with the target demo. The specifics about why it tests well isn't actually known. It's not like they ask the "why" question in music tests.

I think you're making an assumption about that. The reason they might play certain songs is because they test well with the target demo. The specifics about why it tests well isn't actually known. It's not like they ask the "why" question in music tests.

Yes, the assumption is that as time goes by, fewer and fewer songs that people don't remember the first time out, will test well.

K-Earth was Oldies in 1972, making the oldest songs 17 years old. By that reasoning, the oldest songs now should be from 2001!

In theory yes, but.....the choice of good songs is less than the older decades due to, too many songs that simply will not fit on the classic hits format. I mean, do we really want to hear "Mo Money Mo Problems", "Stutter" or "Lose Yourself" on a classic hits station? The 90's and 00's are really filled with unplayables, which lessens the choices for overall good songs. And it's not just Rap. You've got grunge, hair bands, metal, hard alternative, sappy R&B...etc...

In theory yes, but.....the choice of good songs is less than the older decades due to, too many songs that simply will not fit on the classic hits format. I mean, do we really want to hear "Mo Money Mo Problems", "Stutter" or "Lose Yourself" on a classic hits station? The 90's and 00's are really filled with unplayables, which lessens the choices for overall good songs. And it's not just Rap. You've got grunge, hair bands, metal, hard alternative, sappy R&B...etc...

When you say, "we", do you mean people over 55, because that isn't the target audience? People under 55 may very well find those songs not to be unplayable. What I expect to happen to the playlists is for 90s songs to stop being compatible with 80s songs and for 80s songs to become compatible with 90s songs ie. more Hip-hop and less Rock.

When you say, "we", do you mean people over 55, because that isn't the target audience? People under 55 may very well find those songs not to be unplayable. What I expect to happen to the playlists is for 90s songs to stop being compatible with 80s songs and for 80s songs to become compatible with 90s songs ie. more Hip-hop and less Rock.

Their listeners in general, their audience. It's just that the selection of quality, classic hits format music is less from the 90's and 00's, then from prior decades. There are some really good songs from the 90's and 00's (don't get me wrong), but it may be far and few between. And the ones that actually test well for airplay may be even less than that. I just have a hard time imagining a classic hits station, playing strictly 90's and 00's down the road, based on the limitations.

Strictly speaking, everything before the late 1970s should be gone by now. The only reason it isn't is that younger people like some of the music well enough for it to be part of their regular musical diet, despite not being there for the songs original popularity. There is a time limit on that however and we are quickly approaching it.

Yeah, K-Earth 101 is still playing "Rocket Man" last I checked, but their early -mid 70's is very, very scare now. For them, it's all about getting into the 90's it seems.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom