• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBOQ to AC?

WBOQ 104.9 Gloucester may have shifted from classic hits to Adult Contemporary--–on their site under Recently Played, Naked Eyes, Michael Buble, Gavin DeGraw, The Outfield

The live stream features the slogan "Playing the hits from the 80s, 90s and today." So yes, they have flipped. And this, from the Facebook page "about" section: "North Shore 104.9 plays an upbeat mix of 80’s, 90’s, and 00’s. Tune in for local news, weather, and sports from the North Shore, Merrimack Valley, and Southern New Hampshire." Youth must be served, I guess. Goodbye, unsellable 55+ demos!

Last edited:
New logo says Keep It Local Radio.As in, we ain't iHeart?Previously made pitches to advertisers, "fish where the fishes are" (advertise on a N Shore station)

I just inquired on FB—I guess they made the tweak at noon (I presume that is when they dropped the X-mas fest.

well between all the HD shuffles that happened in the last 2 weeks, and now this, I am going to have a blast re-programming all the presets on my car and bike radios when I get home this weekend

New logo says Keep It Local Radio.As in, we ain't iHeart?Previously made pitches to advertisers, "fish where the fishes are" (advertise on a N Shore station)

As it was, their only live, local music show hosts are on from 6 AM-12 noon weekdays. The DJ's on from 12 noon through 6 AM the next day, and during all weekend music programming, have all been piped in on a national satellite music service. They appear on the "hosts" page of the website, but they're not here!

According to the story posted on Radio Insight, at least the current late morning host Catherine Browne will be going live in the afternoons. Don't know if that means they will hire a new mid-day host, or use satellite delivered hosts in the mid-day.

Last edited:
The reaction on Facebook appears unanimously positive, at least in the comments, although there are some angry faces among the "likes" icons. Maybe they're deleting the negative comments. Generally, oldies/classic hits stations that ditch the baby boomer years get quite a few angry posts afterward.

Supposedly 80s, 90s and Today but I heard Hotel California from 77..so, not exact.Tunes by Pink, Spandau Ballet, etc

Here's what I wrote as a response to a reply on a Facebook post I made about the change.Someone didn't like the new music mix.

"The idea is to go younger because they figure a younger "demo(graphic)" is more attractive to advertisers.In the first episode of "WKRP in Cincinnati" Andy changes the format from elevator music to rock."But there are already a lot of rock and roll stations in Cincy," says Les. Andy points out "rock and roll is where the money is".Similarly, Greater Media/Beasley was doing great with country on 102.5 so iHeart changed their 101.7 to country to get some of the audience...I am soon to be 56.Advertisers and many radio owners feel we are less desirable targets because they want to reach younger folks.

"In 2012, Oldies 103 changed to Amp with top 40.On the last day of Oldies, I heard them play I Wanna Hold Your Hand.That came out in 64.Someone who was 12 back then would have been 60 in 2012.CBS figured they wanted a younger audience.I do know what you mean and we baby boomers etc are losing oldies stations...There are some oldies on WJIB 740 AM and 101.3 FM.Some classic hits on WROR 105.7...also satellite radio, HD radio (WODS 103.3 has oldies on the HD2 signal but you need an HD radio).

"Anyway, WBOQ's owners are accenting their being a local, North Shore station and now they have shifted to "80s, 90s, and today".That is the business part of it...they want to appeal to a younger 'demo' at the risk of alienating some listeners.The restaurants in Gloucester, car dealers in Beverly, and markets in Ipswich who advertise on 104.9 want to reach younger listeners."

That’s a shame and it’s another station that I will most likely be avoiding.

Wonder why the switch was made all of a sudden.

That’s a shame and it’s another station that I will most likely be avoiding.

Wonder why the switch was made all of a sudden.

Let me guess...you just discovered your an older male, who is discovering your demographic is not what advertisers are trying to reach. ;-)

Surprise! lol

Don't know; he had said it would be tomorrow. They do some syndie from Westwood One middays--if you tuned in after 10a
maybe that was what you heard.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom