• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wheatstone Vorsis M-1 Mic Processor

I just received my first Wheatstone Vorsis M-1. This one was purchased used. Not sure if this one is operating correctly. Would like to use mainly in Local Mode (front panel controls then work). From what I've read in the manual, one needs to push the LOCAL button, and hold it in, to put it in Local mode. Did that. OK, now I have front panel control. I also see that one of the dipswitches on the back panel can lock out the front panel control, if LOCK is ON (this #4 dipswitch is in the OFF position). My question is, if the unit loses power, it does not reboot back up in the Local mode, in which it powered down in. Is this normal?

Figured it out (I think). Looks like when it reboots, front panel controls are active (if rear panel LOCK dipswitch is in OFF position) , and my settings remain as part of the processing structure. I was confused there for a moment, because the panel buttons that were lit, when it powered down, did not re-light, when power was restored, even though the processor sections that were enabled before the power loss, remained active when power was restored. Make sense? I think the manual is lacking in describing the operation of this unit, when power is lost and restored. I'm pretty sure momentary electrical power outages are common almost everywhere in the US. Another concern is the reboot process, which seems to take about 15 seconds, and during that time, there are numerous pops and clicks coming out of the analog output of this unit. Not having one, do the current crop of digital consoles take some time to reboot, after losing power?

I agree. That's why I've thought that the only way I'd purchase them, is probably used. One popped up, and I'm giving it a try. I'm a little surprised that it only offers a mic input, compared to a selectable line/mic level input (it does offer a selectable mic/line level output). That's one thing I like about the 528e's, because, whenever I can, I prefer to use an external mic pre, with them. Good thing the M-1 has a very quiet (with plenty of gain) internal mic pre. I haven't put it on the air yet, and due to the holidays, only played around with it for about an hour.

We use a number of M1 processors. Right out of the box, I tried dialing in all the settings from the front panel, in local mode (as OP wants to do) and then locked the front panel. The mics would sound fine for awhile, then suddenly we would get complaints that they sounded "flat" or worse.

My guess is that the front panel settings are not always retained through a power cycle, and the units were reverting to default settings.

My advice is to create presets using the M1 GUI setup software, which you can download from the Wheatstone site. We have had a lot less trouble with the M1s since we did that.

As to the question about digital consoles and reboot times: don't know about other products, but depending on circumstances there is going to be a one or two minute reboot time associated with Wheatstone digital consoles, if you are rebooting the associated "console Blade" that handles all the audio routing. If you are power cycling the control surface only, that usually takes less than 20-30 seconds and the audio routing is not interrupted.

I talked to Wheatstone today, and they inform me that if the M-1 loses power, it should reboot with all of the front panel buttons lit again, that were lit prior to the unit losing power. Mine does not do that. Not sure why yet.

I wonder if they're using a watch battery inside to hold the memory? Since you got this thing used, who knows what the condition of the battery is, especially if it had been sitting on a shelf unplugged for a while before you powering it up again.

Hi All - The M1 has a series of dip switches on the rear panel. Switch #7 needs to be in the down position during the boot process for the front panel to come up and recognize the last state it was in. If the switch is in the up position, the front panel will not complete booting and the settings will not load properly if used in the local mode.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom