• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KAHM Announcement

Prescott Joe

Leading Participant
KAHM's main transmitter, currently atop Mingus Mountain
will be going off the air temporarily. Listeners in the Prescott
area can continue to enjoy KAHM music via their full power
transmitter on Badger Mountain at 102.1 and translator
K269EE at 101.7, also on Badger Mountain.

I hate to be a nit-picker, but I was under the impression that there were no full power transmitters for KAHM on Badger Mountain, only a translator. As for the short loss of the signal from Mingus Mountain, it might and it might not have anything to do with the pending sale. We'll get full announcements before too long so get your bets placed for possible scenarios. (No. I am not taking bets myself, you guys will have to fight it out.) ;)

There has always been a full power transmitter atop Badger "P" Mountain.
That is the transmitter used from 1981 to 1987 at which time, a second
full power transmitter was added, atop Mingus Mtn. KAHM originally started
at 104.9 fm. The outtage on Mingus lasted only a short time.........

Oh. Okay.

In the times I was listening...not all the time....but, one night there was an announcement that the Mingus transmitter would be off air for while, but the local translator on Badger Mountain would be on. I must've been listening online, but that's where I got the idea of no full power xmtr on Badger.

For many years, every Sunday Night at 10pm:
"At this time, KAHM will be ending broadcast from our Mingus Mtn
transmitter. For those listening outside the Prescott Area, we
invite you to rejoin KAHM at 6 am. For those in the Prescott Area,
KAHM music will continue."

Yes, but were the Prescott area broadcasts on the translator xmtr or the full power xmtr? I would guess the translator because, unless the old 104.9 full power xmtr was used as a back up it would have to have been retuned to 102.1. I can't see any use on the old frequency would've been allowed by Fred's Cousin Charlie.

Every Sunday night, The Mingus transmitter shut down. The 3kw Badger Mtn
transmitter took over at 102.1 with K269EE at 101.7 also on the air. Really it
was a duplication of coverage.

Wow! Why would they do that?

I wonder if briefly turning off Mingus Mountain was done to reduce RF levels for TV repacking or cellular or some other tower work...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom