• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Entercom has renamed Live 105 to Alt 105

Michael: Yes - IIRC, KFRC was voted "America's Best Radio Station" a few years in a row, though I don't remember by who. I became a Bay Area resident in '73, and KFRC was certainly my go-to station. I have many memories, such as the first morning I heard Dr. Don Rose, and was actually POed that a ridiculous goofball had replaced Beau Weaver. Within a few days, I was a fan. And Bill Lee, John Mack Flanagan, etc. Definitely the best.

When I think of the longevity of radio formats, I try to allow for natural evolution. So when I say KIIS-FM has about 40 years, I do realize that their format evolved from CHR to dance, to kind of urban, etc., but I still think of it as appealing to the same audience, which of course, has also evolved in their musical tastes. On the other hand, I don't include KMEL - even though they flipped from album rock to a hit format about 34 years ago now - because their evolution from CHR into rap and hip-hop was a bit more extreme. In that case, I think of "Wild" and "Now" in the Bay Area as being the evolution of what KMEL was in 1978.

Your thoughts, Professor?

Llew: It was Billboard Magazine's "Station of the Year". Six or seven years in a row, if I recall correctly.

I spent so much time out of Northern California that I'll confess to a bit of a blind spot from the mid-80s until I came back in 2013.

I agree that KIIS is still what it was in 1982---a CHR. And I think that the argument has to be made that KIIS is better at meeting audience expectations than KHJ, KRLA and KFWB were. Each were big, number one stations, but KFWB kept the crown for all of five years and was out of the format entirely in ten. KRLA got two years at number one and 14 years in the format. KHJ...nine years in the top two, 14 years before it was beaten by an in-format competitor, and out of the format in 15.

Today's programmers seem to have a much better handle on how to evolve their stations and keep them vibrant.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom