• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

If iHeart fails, what will over 800 radio stations do?

iHeart over the last few years was in a rush to buy up stations and monitize the heck out of their streams, encoding those streams and packaging them in "iHR containers"....basically video streams...so they could have exclusive access to those streams. They were effectively also doing something else. They were sticking a finger in the eye of Internet Wi-Fi radio manufacturers and owners by not allowing Reciva or Frontier Silicon and other stream aggregators to have license to decode those streams. I firmly believe that Logitech saw this coming and dumped the Logitech Touch and other Squeezebox radios, and stopped updating the popular media server software. iHeart and their "partners-in-crime," Tune-In, either refuse to allow their proprietary decoding software to be used in these radios, or they refuse to negotiate with aggregators, especially off-shore ones like Reciva and Frontier Silicon for the sake of we radio owners.

Now, iHeart is fianancially sick. So if and when they file Chapter 7, 11, or 13, what will over 800 stations do? Some of my favorite stations have gone the way of iHeart...WOR-710 radio in NYC, the WLW "blowtorch" in Ohio, KFYI in Phoenix, and KOGO in San Diego. I have spent virtually hours attempting to determine URLs with both URL Snooper and Wireshark on Windows and Linux, respectively with poor results. iHeart has Cloudflare blocking queries and connections to their TLD octets, resulting in no connection. The stream for WOR 710 out of NYC looks like this:

as previously noted in October 2017 within this forum. Somehow, the stream jumps from one IP address to another every minute or two, seemingly with the very intention of preventing anyone from using the stream in a radio.

But enter this URL into your Station list at Reciva or Frontier Silicon and your radio will not decode it, as it has intentionally been made a video stream in order to force you to listen to the station on PC, Mac, phone rather than the radio for which you paid good cash. (And in some cases, has superior audio fidelity to your PC speakers). Stereophile Magazine gave the Logitech Touch with it's great D/A converter a glowing review a few years back, and then iHeart ruined everything by encoding the streams to monitize them.

This is my first post on this forum, and I'm glad I found this forum. I suspect that if there are any software developers here who know C++ or Python, etc., and can create a decoder that could be used to flash something like the Logitech Touch, that would be great. Much of the current development going on with the Touch is open source...and much of it doesn't work. If I wasn't so involved with hardware, I'd be better at coding...but that's not my forte'.

Of course, I am not suggesting that anyone do anything that isn't completely legal. But I am just lamenting the fact that there is no reason these iHeart stations, or stations that use the iHeart model, can't release a singular stream for people who moved away from a terrestrial station and may not be comfortable with using a PC to listen. In particular, the transplanted elderly and/or disabled who have visual limitations or are not computer savvy, who rely upon a Wi-Fi radio to listen to the station they grew up listening to...like WOR-710 in NYC....are skunked out of tuning in on an ergonomic radio.

I try to stay within "forum rules of good conduct" and hope that I'm abiding. If I've said anything even remotely objectional, please PM me and I'll edit or delete. I am a supermod at another well-known forum and I realize how important it is to stay within the rules of the forum. Again, thanks for letting me sign up here.

Last edited:
So if and when they file Chapter 7, 11, or 13, what will over 800 stations do?

The streaming platform known at iheartradio.com is an asset. In any bankruptcy, the assets will be owned by whatever entity wins out in the end. Just like the radio stations the company currently owns. They're all assets and they each have financial value..

I've seen the iheartradio.com platform valued anywhere between $1 and $2 billion alone. It could get spun off and run as its own company. Lots of options once they get beyond the current situation. But the client stations don't have anything to worry about.

Thanks for your response.

I do wonder whether they wound up in the red or close to it... because of bad management or because the model they are using to monetize their streams is faulty. I don't know about their "competition," Tune-In, but looking at their fianancial statement would be interesting.

I do wonder whether they wound up in the red or close to it... because of bad management or because the model they are using to monetize their streams is faulty.

About ten years ago, they decided to go private. That meant buying back all of their public shares. They did it at the top of the market before the recession, and it cost about $20 billion. They've been dealing with that debt ever since.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/2006/1...nnel-to-be-taken-private-for-187-billion.html

if IheartMedia goes Bankrupt like Cumulus just did recently, i can see a major shake up in the radio industy with both companies being sold to big media companies that don't own TV networks, i can't see CBS buying IHM as they just spun off their entire radio division via merging with Entercom, i don't really see Disney wanting back into Radio nor NBC. and Fox just got split into two half with the original 21st Century Fox being sold to Disney while "New Fox" will remain under Murdoch family control and i doubt they want to be in the radio business. and recently, TEGNA just bought a couple of radio stations as part of a deal to buy out a TV station, maybe that might lay the ground work for TEGNA to buy out either IHM or Cumulus. i also wouldn't be surprise if Sinclair Broadcasting Group wants to get in on Radio too to grow their rising empire even more so then ever with their soon to be completed Merger of Tribune Media and already having the biggest total of TV stations on by them as well as the wrestling promotion Ring Of Honor Wrestling.

No company is big enough to swallow iHeart. Most content companies have no reason to buy transmitters and towers. It should be pointed out that Chapter 11 is reorganization, not liquidation.

if IheartMedia goes Bankrupt like Cumulus just did recently, i can see a major shake up in the radio industy with both companies being sold to big media companies that don't own TV networks, i can't see CBS buying IHM as they just spun off their entire radio division via merging with Entercom, i don't really see Disney wanting back into Radio nor NBC. and Fox just got split into two half with the original 21st Century Fox being sold to Disney while "New Fox" will remain under Murdoch family control and i doubt they want to be in the radio business. and recently, TEGNA just bought a couple of radio stations as part of a deal to buy out a TV station, maybe that might lay the ground work for TEGNA to buy out either IHM or Cumulus. i also wouldn't be surprise if Sinclair Broadcasting Group wants to get in on Radio too to grow their rising empire even more so then ever with their soon to be completed Merger of Tribune Media and already having the biggest total of TV stations on by them as well as the wrestling promotion Ring Of Honor Wrestling.

I can't see Sinclair wanting radio given the Tribune negotiations though. But I'm not sure who would want OTA radio though.

That, and iHeart in it's former incarnation Clear Channel, bought several (now) expensive AM stations during their growing frenzy. All AM station values went, and are going further under water. The debt accordingly, remains.

One solution to relatively unhindered streaming of iHeart and Tune-in streams that most current
Wi-Fi radios cannot decode was to have owned and used an Amazon Echo device. The "skills" available to "Alexa" permit easy access to these streams, unless you are concerned about Echo privacy issues. But now there is another issue...

Amazon is in negotiations with advertisers to push ads through the Echo devices.
For many, and for me, that is a "red line" that will have some abandoning the Echo devices. My kids got me the cheap Echo Dot for Christmas, but I'm not really interested in having a live mic on 24/7 in my home, nor would I tolerate having push notifications of advertisements announce themselves from those devices....back to Amazon it goes today.

Last edited:
] I'm not really interested in having a live mic on 24/7 in my home, nor would I tolerate having push notifications of advertisements announce themselves from those devices....back to Amazon it goes today.

Nothing is free. Everyone wants to make money. Now that the FCC has killed net neutrality, there will be more ways companies can make money from online devices.

Nothing is free. Everyone wants to make money. Now that the FCC has killed net neutrality, there will be more ways companies can make money from online devices.

If "making money" involves more and more advertising I suspect there will be, very shortly, less and less of an audience.

Now that stations are beginning to promo the Alexa thing, what happens when the promo instructs the listener to say, "Alexa, enable WXYZ skill." Does Alexa hear it and obey the command?

I have the same issue. Some older Grace Digital Radios can no longer stream any IHeart stations because IHeart upgraded to AAC+ which older radios do not support, and cannot take any of the alternate streams. Also many other internet radio brands cannot stream IHeart's streaming format.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom