• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classix 102.9 is Here

Classix 102.9, "Atlanta's Classic R&B," launched this morning on Radio One's 102.9 FM translator.

D.L. Hughley debuts on January 3 from 3-7PM. Tom Joyner starts on January 16.

Wow! Rip BOOM 102.9. An urban station that actually played good classic hip hop. OG 97.9 is more Rhythmic in my opinion. So.... what will MAJIC 107.5/97.5 play? I forget MAJIC had 2 signals.

Last edited:
At its peak R1 had six throwback stations, so the only one left in its roster is Boom in Indianapolis. R1 tended to favor a deeper urban-ish playlist than many other throwback stations elsewhere. As for the new Classix 102.9, they are taking shots at Mix (former Old School 87.7) for dumping 70s soul and Kiss for speeding up the tempo in their playlist. But hopefully it does well for awhile since Atlanta seems to be inconsistent with the urban AC programming.

Radio One will definitely dominate morning drive with Tom Joyner, Steve Harvey and Rickey Smiley. I would assume MAJIC 107.5/97.5 will add classic hip hop and newer R&B to the playlist now.

102.9 is still too slow tunes skewed (BORING). They play a rhythmic tune about every 7th song. That's why I hardly ever listen to them anymore. The "sleep" radio format!

Then, they try to GET DOWN with their 5 PM Jams..............they need to put more of those songs on at other times.

And the Classix name. What 8th grade kid gave them that bright idea?

Last edited:
I agree. I miss BOOM 102.9!!! They did the Classic Hip Hop format the right way. It was definitely true to Atlanta and remined me of the old HOT 97.5.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom