• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Star 94.1 is now “Today’s Hits”

Looks like Star 94.1 is now Today’s Hits. If I had to pick one station in Atlanta that’s changed their slogan more times than any other station, it would be Star 94.1. Today’s Best Mix lasted about 6 months. Used by Entercom at many Hot AC stations across the country. I wonder why they changed again? If I recall correctly, they were “A Better Variety of Today’s Hit Music” and “Today’s Hit Music” back in the 90s. I also remember...

Today Hits Without the Rap
90s to now

Any other slogans anyone remembers?

Looks like Star 94.1 is now Today’s Hits. If I had to pick one station in Atlanta that’s changed their slogan more times than any other station, it would be Star 94.1. Today’s Best Mix lasted about 6 months. Used by Entercom at many Hot AC stations across the country. I wonder why they changed again? If I recall correctly, they were “A Better Variety of Today’s Hit Music” and “Today’s Hit Music” back in the 90s. I also remember...

90s to now

Your life and your music are on Star 94.

90s to now

"No heavy metal...No rap...And the music only stops twice per hour." (1990-91)
"Atlanta's Best Music" (1991)
"We used to be 94Q" (1989...OK I'm kidding on this one)

For some reason, whoever owns this station doesn't believe in keeping it pointed in any particular direction for more than four months. I thought Entercom would be more thoughtful in their approach than LFM, but they've already tweaked and re-tweaked so many things in the time they've owned the station. They're proving to be just as bad as the previous ownership. When does Entercom give up and flip it?

I would think since Star 94.1 is doing decent enough in the ratings that if they did flip, someone like 105.7, 106.7, or maybe even one of the translators would jump on the Hot AC bandwagon to snatch up that piece of the ratings pie.

And nobody is listening to TODAY'S HITS..........that's why they are #15 out of 37 stations (ratings). TODAY'S HITS isn't working!

And nobody is listening to TODAY'S HITS..........that's why they are #15 out of 37 stations (ratings). TODAY'S HITS isn't working!

That was the Holiday book. Stations that play Christmas music take big chunks of audience from other female targeted stations in that book every year.

It’s definitely still Hot AC. However, they are going back to where they were back in 2010 when they first segued to Hot AC. They played everything off the current Hot AC chart back then and very few recurrents. Since this time and up until before now, they have played only the big hits on the Hot AC chart and played hits from 90s to now. More recently 2000s to now. Star has always had some kind of identity crisis when it comes to CHR and Hot AC. I honestly think the only time they were full blown CHR under the Star branding was the short time after Power 99 flipped to 99X in 1992 to about the summer of 1994. After this time they leaned adult CHR playing all hits with no rap. Then in 2002-2003, they flirted with Hot AC and then went back to being adult leaning CHR until fall of 2007 when they decided to go mainstream but still were adult leaning. Then in fall of 2010, they kind of quietly slid into Hot AC almost the same way 95-5 the Beat slid quietly from CHR/POP to CHR/Rhythmic in 2001. RDS still shows “Today’s Best Mix.” They need to fix this.

RadioDoogie knows his radio history. Spot on.

The Star 94 CHR era started in December 1992 after Power crapped out and Star's ratings went down instead of up. It was a last-ditch attempt to do something, anything, to try and revive the station's fortunes. They cut back on the Elton, Celine, Rod, and Mairah and threw in a lot of upbeat pop and dance, and that was all it took. By mid-1994, though, the research showed that the Steve & Vikki demos were aging so they adjusted the mix and segued back a bit toward AC, and stayed on the fence for the rest of S&V's tenure there.

It’s definitely still Hot AC. However, they are going back to where they were back in 2010 when they first segued to Hot AC. They played everything off the current Hot AC chart back then and very few recurrents. Since this time and up until before now, they have played only the big hits on the Hot AC chart and played hits from 90s to now. More recently 2000s to now. Star has always had some kind of identity crisis when it comes to CHR and Hot AC. I honestly think the only time they were full blown CHR under the Star branding was the short time after Power 99 flipped to 99X in 1992 to about the summer of 1994. After this time they leaned adult CHR playing all hits with no rap. Then in 2002-2003, they flirted with Hot AC and then went back to being adult leaning CHR until fall of 2007 when they decided to go mainstream but still were adult leaning. Then in fall of 2010, they kind of quietly slid into Hot AC almost the same way 95-5 the Beat slid quietly from CHR/POP to CHR/Rhythmic in 2001. RDS still shows “Today’s Best Mix.” They need to fix this.

RadioDoogie knows his radio history. Spot on.

The Star 94 CHR era started in December 1992 after Power crapped out and Star's ratings went down instead of up. It was a last-ditch attempt to do something, anything, to try and revive the station's fortunes. They cut back on the Elton, Celine, Rod, and Mairah and threw in a lot of upbeat pop and dance, and that was all it took. By mid-1994, though, the research showed that the Steve & Vikki demos were aging so they adjusted the mix and segued back a bit toward AC, and stayed on the fence for the rest of S&V's tenure there.

The Star 94 era post Q100 was a weird one. I remember in early 2002, they would play the Hot AC version of the Weekly Top 40 one week then the CHR version the next. The CHR version always had Dees interrupt the rap songs with “a special request.” When they took over AT40 in January 2004, it played the CHR version on Saturday nights 8-12 and you would hear the Hot AC version of Dees on Sunday night 8-12. So confusing. However, they played the WT40 CHR version shortly after this going forward until giving it the axe in October 2007 with the replacement of Dawson McCallister on Sunday nights. AT40 went Hot AC in fall 2010 until it handed off to Power 96-1 in September 2012.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom