• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Brother Stair, longtime overnight radio preacher, arrested for sexual assault

I'm surprised that there are as many domestic SW stations as there are. The audience is definitely different than AM/FM. Although I think WWRB is going to call it quits. I'm surprised that they haven't been fined for the owner's, often obscene, rants.
Weiner has an announcement where he is seeking donation$ in order to keep free speech alive.
You could have a good lightning strike and you're looking at $10K in parts just to get back on the air.
I suspect Stair will return much as he did before after his previous incarceration.

Herein lies the folly of over-reliance on just ONE broadcaster to keep you on the air. If that "ministry" folds, you are sunk. But it appears to me (from reading the earlier link) that the Overcomer Ministry is dropping broadcasting, not the other way around. This would then take it out of the stations' hands. Then you will be able to listen to Stair's rants (solely) online, where you could probably hear him berating all the stations that have "dropped" him, although the reverse would actually be true.

Stair still on WBCQ, WWCR, & WWRB as of last night. WRMI broadcasting oldies in Stair's time slot.

WWCR will probably milk as much money as possible from Stair for as long as they can.

I know some SW fans won't like this, but any station that can't do any better than nuts like Stair or Alex Jones, whether they claim to be "Christian" stations or not, deserve to be off the air, and that applies to AM stations that carry Stair or Jones as well. I'd like to see them clean up their act and come up with better programming, but I doubt if that will happen as long as they're more interested in the almighty dollar.

Dang transmitter 4 specifically is dependent on Brother Stair. But Stair's spokesperson said the radio broadcasts will end soon.
He was on xmitter #4 24/7, but that was about 15 years or so ago. Transmitter #2 was once entirely the University Network, but that seems to have changed as well.

Keep us up to date, and let us know whatever you find out.

WWCR will probably milk as much money as possible from Stair for as long as they can.
I know some SW fans won't like this, but any station that can't do any better than nuts like Stair or Alex Jones, whether they claim to be "Christian" stations or not, deserve to be off the air, and that applies to AM stations that carry Stair or Jones as well. I'd like to see them clean up their act and come up with better programming, but I doubt if that will happen as long as they're more interested in the almighty dollar.
Seems like an easy fix would be for AM stations to just sign off at night, rather than carry Stair. Most AM is terrible (signal-wise) at night, anyway. But apparently Stair's ministry pays them at least enough to cover the cost of electricity to keep them on at night, so apparently they can justify having him on (even if no one is listening!), if it pays the bills.

My last station carried Stair at night back while I was there, but we never once got a local complaint about having him on. I believe that they now actually carry Dr. Scott at night, but I cannot verify that.

Whether one likes it or not, all radio stations depend on the almighty dollar.

As for "better" programming, some SW stations have come up with great programming. And then sunk. There was a SW station (or program) that started up a year ago, playing jazz and other forms of music, and it sank quite quickly. It didn't apparently have enough advertisers. "Good" programming doesn't necessarily pay the bills.

Either way, the combination of less-than-spectacular propagation and this Stair issue will cause changes in US domestic SW broadcasting, that's for certain.

Brother Stair Update

He is out of jail after 31 days. He has to wear an ankle monitor, avoid contact with anyone under 18, and must surrender his passport.
He has returned to the air on WWCR (3215) overnights and is on WBCQ 6-7PM Eastern.
Allan Weiner (WBCQ) once remarked he would carry Stair "even if he didn't have any money." (Now, there's a sweet deal!)

My guess is Stair was driving all the jailhouse personnel crazy with his preaching, they couldn't take it anymore. Besides his preaching could be considered cruel and unusual punishment by the other inmates.

Maybe not. While he was incarcerated, I heard guest preachers on there. Most likely they still had the satellite link so they used it to fill time that was already bought.

WWCR has dropped him. Most likely due to non-payment- which is about the only way you can get dropped from SW.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom