• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KNX 10.70 is now on KCBS 93.1 HD2

I noticed it earlier today, while listening to KNX 10.70 HD they did the TOH including KCBS-HD2 and KAMP-HD2. I believe KNX will soon leave 97.1 HD2 and be exclusively on 93.1 HD2. What could come on 97.1 HD2 is a mystery. I always believed KNX Newsradio should be on 93.1 FM/HD subchannel as it's the former CBS O&O KNX/FM 'Mellow Rock' which I loved as a cub. Joe G

I noticed it earlier today, while listening to KNX 10.70 HD they did the TOH including KCBS-HD2 and KAMP-HD2. I believe KNX will soon leave 97.1 HD2 and be exclusively on 93.1 HD2. What could come on 97.1 HD2 is a mystery. I always believed KNX Newsradio should be on 93.1 FM/HD subchannel as it's the former CBS O&O KNX/FM 'Mellow Rock' which I loved as a cub. Joe G

Been gone from LA for many years, except for occasional visits. Do they still do that weird "10.70" branding and logo? Never understood that. I get that "Ten seven-0h news radi-Oh" rhymes, but they can do that without the odd FM like 'point.' C'mon, it's 1070 AM.

I listen to the stream of KNX and had noticed recently that CBS has changed their news sounder, using the sounder from the World News Roundup.

Been gone from LA for many years, except for occasional visits. Do they still do that weird "10.70" branding and logo? Never understood that. I get that "Ten seven-0h news radi-Oh" rhymes, but they can do that without the odd FM like 'point.' C'mon, it's 1070 AM.

Llew: They've made the carrot smaller, but it's still there. I think it's to make the brain read it as "ten-seventy" rather than "ten-seven-oh" or "one-oh-seven-oh".

I noticed it earlier today, while listening to KNX 10.70 HD they did the TOH including KCBS-HD2 and KAMP-HD2.

Here in the Chicago market, co-owned, similarly-formatted, WBBM (AM 780) has been branding for the past couple of years as "WBBM Newsradio and 105.9FM". The all-news format includes a simulcast on WCFS-FM's main channel. The only split is during live broadcasts of Chicago Bears games. Football on FM, news continues on AM.

KNX 1070 moving to more of an FM presence is not unexpected. This has been happening all around the country in the last decade. I do wonder why they still are not on a major FM frequency however. My complaint with KNX is they dropped their traffic sounder a couple of years ago, and when driving in LA it was an important sounder to alert you to traffic if that was what you were listening for. At last check, their traffic reports just blend into the regular rote of news and can easily be missed. (If this has changed recently, I stand corrected).l

Here in the Chicago market, co-owned, similarly-formatted, WBBM (AM 780) has been branding for the past couple of years as "WBBM Newsradio and 105.9FM". The all-news format includes a simulcast on WCFS-FM's main channel. The only split is during live broadcasts of Chicago Bears games. Football on FM, news continues on AM.

Are you sure they break the simulcast? Nielsen does not do Total Line Reporting for stations that break simulcast, even for short periods of time. Nielsen lists WBBM and WCFS as 100% simulcast.

Shouldn't "back" be in the subject line? I recall that KNX was simulcasted on KCBS-FM HD-2 until 5-6 years ago, when it was switched to KAMP-FM HD-2.

I had a rental car with HD built-in and the HD signal would fade in-and-out driving on the 5 towards Burbank. At that point, it was better to switch to the main AM signal.

The KCBS-FM signal is more reliable in most of Greater L.A. than KAMP-FM. If I lived there, I would listen to KNX over the HD-2 signal over the scratchy AM once the signal issue is fixed.

Shouldn't "back" be in the subject line? I recall that KNX was simulcasted on KCBS-FM HD-2 until 5-6 years ago, when it was switched to KAMP-FM HD-2.

I had a rental car with HD built-in and the HD signal would fade in-and-out driving on the 5 towards Burbank. At that point, it was better to switch to the main AM signal.

The KCBS-FM signal is more reliable in most of Greater L.A. than KAMP-FM. If I lived there, I would listen to KNX over the HD-2 signal over the scratchy AM once the signal issue is fixed.

This is similar in San Francisco, too - with KCBS-AM (blame CBS for the call letter confusion). 740 AM is a blowtorch, and their simulcast on 106.9 (KFRC...told you it was confusing) is kind of spotty. Nevertheless, I've been told (by Michael Hagerty, IIRC), that the majority of the listening is now on 106.9.

This is similar in San Francisco, too - with KCBS-AM (blame CBS for the call letter confusion). 740 AM is a blowtorch, and their simulcast on 106.9 (KFRC...told you it was confusing) is kind of spotty. Nevertheless, I've been told (by Michael Hagerty, IIRC), that the majority of the listening is now on 106.9.

Ah, but not confusing for the typical listener...it's just "All News 106.9 and AM 740, KCBS". The legal ID "KCBS-AM, KFRC-FM and HD-1" flies right past most folks.

Ah, but not confusing for the typical listener...it's just "All News 106.9 and AM 740, KCBS". The legal ID "KCBS-AM, KFRC-FM and HD-1" flies right past most folks.

KCBS's slogan in the 80s was "News and More on Seventy-Four." Damn digital radio dials and FM "points" have screwed everything up!

Yup. And KFI used to be "Sixty-Four KFI!"

Looks like posts from yesterday have vanished. KFI was only "64KFI" for about five years (1977-82). Before that, it was KFI 640, and after, it became KFI AM 640. KMPC was 710 except in 1971, when they decided to brand themselves as "Radio 71"...but their jingles still said "seven-ten".

Do they still do that weird "10.70" branding and logo? Never understood that.
Never noticed the little triangle. To me it says 1070 without any points. It might be stylistic since analog tuners were still common in the '90s but the radios started having indicators with all 3-4 digits on AM and digital tuning started to become popular.

Here in the Chicago market, co-owned, similarly-formatted, WBBM (AM 780) has been branding for the past couple of years as "WBBM Newsradio and 105.9FM".
I've heard reporters just end their stories with "Now on 105.9 FM."

...despite the mountainous terrain out West. Might make sense here in flat Houston and especially during a hurricane with the lightning inside making AM signals unlistenable on every other word--but we lost News 92 FM a few years ago.

(Teletype) WBBM AM/HD Chicago, WCFS-FM/HD-1 Elmwood Park (Gong) - Chicago. The teletype is interesting because the teletype background is instantly associated with Group W's all-news stations, but it has always been a CBS all-news station

Never noticed the little triangle. To me it says 1070 without any points. It might be stylistic since analog tuners were still common in the '90s but the radios started having indicators with all 3-4 digits on AM and digital tuning started to become popular.

I've heard reporters just end their stories with "Now on 105.9 FM."

...despite the mountainous terrain out West. Might make sense here in flat Houston and especially during a hurricane with the lightning inside making AM signals unlistenable on every other word--but we lost News 92 FM a few years ago.

(Teletype) WBBM AM/HD Chicago, WCFS-FM/HD-1 Elmwood Park (Gong) - Chicago. The teletype is interesting because the teletype background is instantly associated with Group W's all-news stations, but it has always been a CBS all-news station

KNX is still doing the teleype? Wow. I know it has that "newsy" sound, but it's kind of analogous to a current day film about a current day newsroom with IBM Selectrics at everybody's work station. Back in the day, the teletype sound FX was prevalent on Top 40 stations too, like KHJ 20/20 News. You know, dramatic news sounder, followed by teletype FX, and Jaaaaaaaay Pauulllllll Huddleston.

I've heard that at KFWB, the teletype was in a closet, and they just kept a microphone in there to pick up the sound 24/7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cHZJEEi95I

Bet you haven't thought of Sirhan Sirhan or "Governor" Ronald Reagan in a while.

KNX is still doing the teleype? Wow. I know it has that "newsy" sound, but it's kind of analogous to a current day film about a current day newsroom with IBM Selectrics at everybody's work station. Back in the day, the teletype sound FX was prevalent on Top 40 stations too, like KHJ 20/20 News. You know, dramatic news sounder, followed by teletype FX, and Jaaaaaaaay Pauulllllll Huddleston.

I've heard that at KFWB, the teletype was in a closet, and they just kept a microphone in there to pick up the sound 24/7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cHZJEEi95I

Bet you haven't thought of Sirhan Sirhan or "Governor" Ronald Reagan in a while.

KNX is not running a teletype sound.

In the early days, they used to hang a mic in the teletype closet, which was great until things got slow and the machine stopped clacking (or someone opened the door, saw the paper had jammed and swore). By the mid-60s, most stations had the teletype sound effect on either a cart with no cue tone or a cart slightly longer than a typical newscast...and the smart engineers rigged it so that it went on and off with the newsman's microphone.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom