• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Wheel Of Fortune on NBC television affiliates

sross1800

New Participating Member
Just curious, since NBC is my all time favorite television network (I like ABC, CBS, FOX, and the other television networks as well, but NBC is my all time favorite), and since "Wheel Of Fortune" is one of my favorite game shows, and even though the daytime version of "Wheel Of Fortune" with Bob Goen and Vanna White was on CBS from July 1989 to January 1991, besides KSDK Channel 5 in St. Louis, what other NBC television affiliates have aired "Wheel Of Fortune" since around 1983-1985, including both the NBC daytime version with Pat Sajak, Rolf Benirschke, and Vanna White from September 1983 to June 1989 and with Bob Goen and Vanna White from January 1991 to September 1991, and the current syndicated version? :)
Thanks! :)
Sean

In San Francisco, 'Wheel' aired on KRON when it was an NBC affiliate, from day 1 of the syndicated run, until switching to KGO (ABC O & O) in February, 1992(due to KRON trying an 'early prime time' schedule, in which it aired network shows an hour earlier than normal).

WPBN (NBC) in Traverse City has aired Wheel and Jeopardy since the mid to late 1990s. Before then, they were on ABC affiliate (and now sister station) WGTU, which wasn't a full market ABC affiliate at the time

I remember Wheel on NBC in the 80's in daytime. Wheel has been on WWMT like forever since the fall of 93 at 7:00PM followed by Jeopardy at 7:30PM guessing before it was on WWMT was on WZZM. If I watched Wheel or Jeopardy in the late 80's I'd watch it on WSBT CBS TV station from south bend as the cable company I had at the time Adelphia had out of market stations had 2 NBC's, 2 Fox stations along with 2 CBS stations.

The syndicated evening version, along with Jeopardy!, has always been on WTNH-TV (ABC) channel 8 of New Haven. I think Portland/Poland Spring, ME has it on their CBS station.

Wheel was usually the only NBC game show that WMC 5 in Memphis carried regularly from the late 70's to the early 90's because of their pre-empting most of the rest for talk shows, and they have always carried Wheel in syndication since it started.

The NBC show aired first on WATL/36 (independent) in Atlanta in 1983 but wound up moving back to NBC affiliate WXIA/11. The syndicated show aired at the time on WXIA as well. Since then it bounced back and forth between it and WAGA/5 (CBS to 1994, Fox afterwards) before settling on WXIA. The weekend repeats air on WATL.

The daytime show was always on WYFF/4 in Greenville/Spartanburg/Asheville. The syndicated show aired first on channel 4, then switched to WLOS/13 of Asheville in 1985. If you deduct the 1983-84 and 1984-85 seasons, Wheel has been on 13 for 33 years.

KFYR (Bismarck, ND) and its satellites have aired Wheel of Fortune in the spot between the evening news and start of prime-time since around the 83-85 time frame. Not sure of the exact year, but it was one of those years. Before that, they aired Family Feud.

If remember correctly, when the nighttime Wheel was placed in syndication, I believe the NBC-owned stations had first dibs to sign-up to carry the series. Problem was, those stations were still carrying the nighttime Family Feud in the early prime (7:30pm ET/PT) slot, although WMAQ in Chicago downgraded nighttime Feud's time slot in its final season (and probably one other NBC O&O). Up the road in Milwaukee, WTMJ and WITI traded nighttime Feud and Wheel for each other, starting in the '84-85 TV season (the final season of the original Richard Dawson era). WITI placed Feud at 5pm weeknights as a lead-in to the CBS Evening News, while Wheel aired on WTMJ at 6:30pm (where it does still to this day, albeit now on WDJT). Jeopardy! aired on WTMJ in the afternoons right from the start, until it (and Wheel) moved to WDJT several years ago.

I believe the same offer was also extended to the NBC O&Os when Jeopardy! entered syndication in 1984, although one NBC O&O, to my knowledge, carried Jeopardy! at the start--WNBC. In Chicago, J! (and Wheel) have aired on ABC's WLS each since day one; in Los Angeles, Wheel has aired on KCOP, KCBS, and currently on KABC, while J! originally aired on KCBS, then moved to KCOP in season two, back to KCBS, and finally on KABC. In NBC's other O&O markets at the time, Cleveland (WKYC) and Washington, D.C. (WRC), both shows have aired on the competing ABC stations for a long time, although in Cleveland, both shows are currently on WOIO, and in Washington, WJLA has aired both shows since at least the very early 90s, after being on WUSA in the beginning.

There only NBC O&O that currently carries both shows--San Diego's KNSD, but their carriage of both goes back to when they were still owned by Storer Broadcasting.

I believe WBRE in Scranton/Wilks Barre has, or does, carry Wheel and Jeopardy. I seem to recall a switch with WYOU (CBS) at some point, but the memories are hazy.

As I heard the story, KYW, then NBC (though not an O and O) in Philadelphia originally got the Wheel syndicated rights, but didn’t offer an access slot. Enter WPVI and the opportunity for access (in place of Joker’s Wild). KYW still got Wheel in afternoons by moving some of the NBC games (Wheel, Super Password) and pairing them with syndicated fare (like Hollywood Squares, Name That Tune and Newlywed Game) in a counter-programming maneuver.

KYW did snag season one of Jeopardy, at something like 12:30 pm. WPVI grabbed it a year later to replace Tic Tac Dough, and voila....30 plus years of a stable lineup.

WBTV and WSOC-TV aired "Jeopardy" but I don't know about "Wheel". Actually, I do remember "Wheel" on WSOC but they pre-empted a dumb blonde joke by Vanna that did air on another ABC station I turned over to which Didn't air the network news bulletin. WCNC-TV, Charlotte's NBC affiliate, has aired both shows for years. During The Olympics I'm not sure what happens to "Wheel". Same for Thursday Night Football.

The one move that affected the Greenville/Spartinburg/Asheville market- was when Wheel(and Jeopardy) moved to WLOS/13 on 1985. I don't think WYFF/4 has recovered from that move.

From former markets where I've lived:
WAND in Decatur, Ill., has had Wheel since the mid-'90s.
KWQC in Davenport, Iowa, has, I believe, shown it since the beginning.
KSNW in Wichita, judging from TV Guides of the past, has shown it at least 30 years

Clarifying Wheel's tenure in Atlanta: WSB carried the daytime show at the start all the way up to summer of 1980 when they carried ABC's morning shows and NBC's afternoon shows (a prelude to their affiliation switch on Labor Day--WXIA ran NBC in the morning and ABC in the afternoon). WXIA ran Wheel mornings till early 1983 when they bumped it and WATL picked it up. WXIA got it back it ran ran there to its original finale (June 30, 1989). The CBS edition never cleared here; independent WTLK (now WPXA) ran the second NBC run.

Not sure why WXIA dropped it but it was quite brief. They probably got it back because the syndicated nighttime show got off to a hot start. WATL was known to get discarded network games. At the time they aired The $25,000 Pyramid and Tattletales from CBS plus Sale Of The Century, Just Men!, New Battlestars and Go! from NBC. In their previous incarnation, WATL picked up The Who, What or Where Game and You're Putting Me On from NBC, which then affiliate WSB passed up (Jeopardy! at 12 Noon aired on WJRJ/WTCG).

Something about Wheel's success- when it started, The King brothers of King World could only find around 50 stations around the country willing to give a syndicated version of Wheel a chance- and that included WYFF, WXIA and WPVI(those are the only 3 i can remember). It took off in these smaller markets, and by early 1984, the rollout expanded across the country. I think a lot of stations really wanted Wheel after what happened in those smaller markets.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom