• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Seattle LPFM roundup

If you notice Lake wood to Tillicum along I5 is adjacent to McChord AFB. Then right on to JBLM. Not pointing fingers but would be surprised if it came from there. Fading swishing sound makes me think radar noise.

If you notice Lake wood to Tillicum along I5 is adjacent to McChord AFB. Then right on to JBLM. Not pointing fingers but would be surprised if it came from there. Fading swishing sound makes me think radar noise.

That might very well explain it! Strangely, the noise can be heard as far north as Auburn, and even further south than Tillicum. However, it seems like McChord would be the most likely cause of the interference.

That could be, but what about that 101.1 that was running Super CFL programming some years ago? I think that was a pirate if remember correctly, and that's the right area.

Not necisarily, but I'd say the ones that aren't religious do seem to have problems. I can though think f several, most in Portland.

Lots of LPFMs set themselves up for failure. When you reach such a limited number of people, opting for a format that attracts a .1 at best is not the way to go. Too many LPFMs are not just niche but ultra niche formats without the expertise to even execute the format to maximize the audience. I have a friend with a LPFM in Texas that runs a classic rock format, but only the heavy side of classic rock, yet the audience is about 600, mostly farmers. He can't understand why he has to open his wallet monthly to cover most of the bills.

Some LPFMs do quite well. Most of these are run by folks who worked radio for years and actually know how to market the station to underwriters and the audience at large

I can only think of a few limited scenarios where LPFM would actually be a good idea, and a good investment of time and money. Unfortunately, we have seen a TON of these things get "hacked" over the past few years, usually the result of poor construction from the beginning (such was the case for a 101.9 signal in Bellevue). I suppose that some natural selection and survival of the fittest is needed to keep the LP market fair for newcomers with a realistic plan.

KVRU 105.7 "Rainier Valley Radio" still makes it down towards my QTH in South King County.... I see their website is updated, and it looks like they have a wide variety of programming, including African and Latino music. They seem to be trying to serve African American and immigrant communities in the South End. I first heard them a year and a half ago playing old school R&B. Nice to see a small station soldier on...

Lots of LPFMs found out things like leased towers really increase the monthly operating expense. For many, they were lured by misinformation on the low start-up cost only to find it can easily be double the original figure. Many thought $15,000 would do it. Most all have no plan on they will get the funding they need. Some do not understand you generally need underwriting or tons of listeners to get the needed dollars. Lots of LPFM stations bring in under $5,000 a year.

I can only think of a few limited scenarios where LPFM would actually be a good idea, and a good investment of time and money. Unfortunately, we have seen a TON of these things get "hacked" over the past few years, usually the result of poor construction from the beginning (such was the case for a 101.9 signal in Bellevue). I suppose that some natural selection and survival of the fittest is needed to keep the LP market fair for newcomers with a realistic plan.

I feel like LPFM has always gotten the short end of the stick. I don't have anything o back this up, but I heard somewhere that the original proposal for LPFM was to allow stations up to 3 KW, and to even allow individuals to own stations maybe even commercially? Now though we have it limited to 100 watts and only non-commercial opperations by non-profits, and who knows whether there will even be a third window with all the translators coming on?

The original LPFM proposal was for 1,000 watts at 100 meters and commercial. It was intended to diversify ownership by allowing new entrants in radio ownership. I personally cannot say why the original proposal was whittled down to 100 watts at 30 meters, non-commercial and limited to non-profits without other media properties where they make 'ownership' decisions. I was told many commercial broadcasters disliked the idea because they won auctions or had big investments in their properties and these 'new' entrants would not be subject to the same investment to earn the right to a spot on the FM dial. A radio station owner I worked for at the time thought the NAB came to the FCC with a list of stations willing to fight the FCC tooth and nail (essentially blowing through the FCC's legal department budget) unless LPFM was made a 'non-competitor'. I knew another station owner who told me "if one comes on in my town and takes just one listener from me, they'll have hell to pay".

I can understand the ire of a broadcaster that spends a bundle to win an FM frequency, spends another fortune building it out and years of working for the bank to pay it off. Here comes a station on a frequency they didn't have to earn at auction and has less investment, becoming their competitor. On the other hand, the cost of entry is prohibitive for virtually everyone. Something had to give. And LPFM as is, was a gift, just not one that is of much value.

In certain small towns, a LPFM could do quite well if programmed mass appeal with local news, information, weather, high school sports and such as the typical small town station.

The original LPFM proposal was for 1,000 watts at 100 meters and commercial. It was intended to diversify ownership by allowing new entrants in radio ownership. I personally cannot say why the original proposal was whittled down to 100 watts at 30 meters, non-commercial and limited to non-profits without other media properties where they make 'ownership' decisions. I was told many commercial broadcasters disliked the idea because they won auctions or had big investments in their properties and these 'new' entrants would not be subject to the same investment to earn the right to a spot on the FM dial. A radio station owner I worked for at the time thought the NAB came to the FCC with a list of stations willing to fight the FCC tooth and nail (essentially blowing through the FCC's legal department budget) unless LPFM was made a 'non-competitor'. I knew another station owner who told me "if one comes on in my town and takes just one listener from me, they'll have hell to pay".

There was more than one proposal that hit the FCC at the around the same time -- but I think that the proposal you're referring to is actually the one that I was involved with (from the "Community Radio Coalition"), and our proposal would have allowed 1 kw at 60 meters, with commercial operation. The other proposals that the FCC received were for lower power and were (I think) non-commercial only. The Community Radio Coalition was definitely the most "commercial" of the proposals, and I think that had it been accepted the result would have been a service that would have been much more viable than what actually was passed.

I think that was the proposal I was thinking of: 1,000 watts at 60 meters. 60 meters makes more sense because towers under 200 feet typically don't have to be painted and lit.

I recall there was the Amherst proposal for minimal wattage and, I think, non-commercial status that was around about the same time.

I personally would like to see a LPFM version at decent wattage and HAAT specifically for rural areas where the cost of a full class A might be too much investment for the potential return. It could be restricted to communities without another station assigned to the community (of license). I'd even be okay if it was for new radio entrants. I think commercial would be the way to go. I'm envisioning the station having the role of the typical small town station.

I think that was the proposal I was thinking of: 1,000 watts at 60 meters. 60 meters makes more sense because towers under 200 feet typically don't have to be painted and lit.

Very few LPFMs would be able to afford a real tower with what amounts to a Class A signal. Look at the numbers who can't make 100W work.

I recall there was the Amherst proposal for minimal wattage and, I think, non-commercial status that was around about the same time.

I personally would like to see a LPFM version at decent wattage and HAAT specifically for rural areas where the cost of a full class A might be too much investment for the potential return. It could be restricted to communities without another station assigned to the community (of license). I'd even be okay if it was for new radio entrants. I think commercial would be the way to go. I'm envisioning the station having the role of the typical small town station.

Or, even better, assuming these rural radio wiz's can pony-up the money, go out an purchase a real radio station, rather than expecting the government to give them one. They can buy the radio station they could afford. Even commercial!

BTW; given the tight advertising climate, when do you have time to actually sell for KGAF? Seems like you're writing a lot of long opinions on Radio-discussions, particularly about something so inane as LPFM.

I actually do pretty well with KGAF. It's tough to see business owners at night and on weekends. Yep, I'm writing about a business I'm passionate about and I spend about 7 or 8 hours on the street each day selling. I do have a spot re-write to do this evening and I have to write a $1,200 order, but that's just a few minutes.

There are many communities that do not have stations that could have a successful station if they didn't have to do a full class A. There are several spots where there is no station to buy.

Comparing 100 watts at 30 meters as a non-profit is about like comparing a bicycle to a car. 1,000 watts at 60 meters as a commercial outlet is a whole different animal.

Very few LPFMs would be able to afford a real tower with what amounts to a Class A signal. Look at the numbers who can't make 100W work.

Or, even better, assuming these rural radio wiz's can pony-up the money, go out an purchase a real radio station, rather than expecting the government to give them one. They can buy the radio station they could afford. Even commercial!

BTW; given the tight advertising climate, when do you have time to actually sell for KGAF? Seems like you're writing a lot of long opinions on Radio-discussions, particularly about something so inane as LPFM.

I've known Bill for qutie a few years now.. one of the few sales people who was also on air and can understand both. He's been involved in LPFM stuff before as I recall too

KGAF is a great station BTW. Hometown radio at its finest; and having a voice like Steve Eberhart helps too! (He used to be on the ABC Hits & Favorites network when KSWW was still taking that feed.)

I actually do pretty well with KGAF. It's tough to see business owners at night and on weekends. Yep, I'm writing about a business I'm passionate about and I spend about 7 or 8 hours on the street each day selling. I do have a spot re-write to do this evening and I have to write a $1,200 order, but that's just a few minutes.

Between spending 7-8 hours a day out on the street selling, then another 8+ hours monitoring Radio-Discussions, you must not sleep or eat much. I've seen your posts just as much on the weekend, as during the weekdays. So, given this situation, do you find yourself concentrating just on renewals, or actually trying to drum-up new business?

There are many communities that do not have stations that could have a successful station if they didn't have to do a full class A. There are several spots where there is no station to buy.

There are a lot of rural stations on the market or in the process of filing for bankruptcy. If someone was serious, this is a buyers market for any station. They could probably find a full-class station who's existing owner would carry the paper just to get out from under it.

Comparing 100 watts at 30 meters as a non-profit is about like comparing a bicycle to a car. 1,000 watts at 60 meters as a commercial outlet is a whole different animal.

To use that comparison; both are forms of transportation. Most all learn how to ride a bicycle before driving a car. I've known of no, non-religious LPFM licensees who have transitioned to full-class stations. The track record so far, is keeping their heads above water, to sinking, to never even getting on the air. My point is: If they want to actually get into the radio business, then get funds or funding together, and buy an actual commercial station. Stop expecting the Government to give you one.

If I still owned small market stations, I would be uber-pissed if the FCC passed rules that allowed someone that hasn't assumed the same level of financial commitment and risk that I had to secure funding to purchase one or more stations. That, and giving amateur operators the ability to fast-track into full Class A stations, would not only create even more band congestion, but would devalue existing stations. Not that radio properties needs more devaluing. Ask your owner's of KGAF on how they would feel about LPFM's being granted Class A status. I'm sure they would be thrilled.

I don't know why you choose to start something with me but I prefer to deal with positive subjects that can yield something. I see nothing positive from your posts aimed at me.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom