• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Smooth Jazz Returns to Seattle

discjockeyj1964

New Participating Member
KFNY 102.9 is now the South Sounds' Smooth Jazz station. ALT 102.9 segued out at 12:01 pm playing the theme from The Golden Girls, "Thank you for being a friend." Smooth Jazz finally returns to the market after a seven to eight year absence. Last heard on 98.9 KWJZ, though Entercom did play the Northwest's Smooth Rhythms on 100.7 HD2 for about a year before moving to Delta Blues.

KFNY 102.9 is now the South Sounds' Smooth Jazz station. ALT 102.9 segued out at 12:01 pm playing the theme from The Golden Girls, "Thank you for being a friend." Smooth Jazz finally returns to the market after a seven to eight year absence. Last heard on 98.9 KWJZ, though Entercom did play the Northwest's Smooth Rhythms on 100.7 HD2 for about a year before moving to Delta Blues.

99% chance that this is just a place holder format until the station is sold. Don't get your hopes up.

As much as I like the format, I think it is. Even the ID sweepers sound 'temporary' to me. The only way to keep the format going is to push for advertisers from the Coast and the luxury car dealers/high-end restaurants and boutiques (since 102.9 is easily heard out to Ocean Shores/Aberdeen/Westport) but I don't think it'll happen in this large of a market. A majority of the first ad break was national advertisers - DirecTV/AT&T was one of them. This is unlike WSBZ's advantages of a small market, lots of retirees, plenty of luxury cars driving around, etc.

As much as I like the format, I think it is. Even the ID sweepers sound 'temporary' to me. The only way to keep the format going is to push for advertisers from the Coast and the luxury car dealers/high-end restaurants and boutiques (since 102.9 is easily heard out to Ocean Shores/Aberdeen/Westport) but I don't think it'll happen in this large of a market. A majority of the first ad break was national advertisers - DirecTV/AT&T was one of them. This is unlike WSBZ's advantages of a small market, lots of retirees, plenty of luxury cars driving around, etc.
Well, they could easily serve not only the South Sound, but also the Twin Cities, Aberdeen, etc.

Pretty interesting that you would bring up WSBZ (for those who have not heard of this station - it is literally a 6kw station located a stones throw from Seaside, FL and other resort/retirement areas wedged between Panama City Beach and Fort Walton Beach/Destin, FL. The signal literally perfectly covers a swatch of land that is surrounded by virtually no real population or salt water and the jazz/adult standards format is indeed one of the most professional sounding small markets stations in the United States. A stand-alone station that is family-owned.) I think you are pretty much spot on that it is just a protectionary, filler format.

Switched the PR-D5 to the FM side for the first time since 98.9 went off Rock -- and voila! Smoooooove groooves. I suppose I'll listen while it lasts.

Which brings up the question... Have "Filler formats" ever gained enough listeners, for the operators of a station to actually decide to keep the format?

Which brings up the question... Have "Filler formats" ever gained enough listeners, for the operators of a station to actually decide to keep the format?

I'd think not, because while the placeholder format is running, the groundwork is being laid for a thoroughly researched permanent format (hiring, imaging, lining up advertisers, etc.) that will appeal to a more lucrative demo that whatever one the placeholder might attract.

I can think of one example, there was a station I believe it was in western NC that decided to dao all bluegrass about a year ago. The station actually did relatively well from what I understand.

Why do you think this is a “placeholder” format?

Why do you think this is a “placeholder” format?

Because of the Radio Insight article I posted earlier that clearly said so. Unfortunately, it appears that they have a time limit on their articles and it is no longer available.

Last edited:

In diary based markets, the data arrives well after the fill format has fulfilled its purpose, and a new format has already been launched. In PPM markets, initial data can be gotten within a couple of weeks, but even then the new format is probably too far advanced in the planning stage to be changed; it's unlikely anyone would change course based on one or two week's data.

This now has better ratings than it did in its last month as an alt-rocker. Amazing.

Is it being advertised or otherwise promoted at all? Why would any new format take more than 3 months to incubate? As they say, it's not rocket science. Or is the station still in ownership limbo?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom