• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CHR Kiss FM pulled, 107.3 gets "The Beat" to challenge WBLX on both AL/FL coasts

CHR Kiss FM pulled, 107.3 gets "The Beat" to challenge WBLX on both AL/FL coasts

Sometime today at or around 5pm, iHeartRadio Mobile/Pensacola pulled the plug on CHR "107.3 Kiss FM" It gave the upgrade to hip-hop "The Beat" which was formerly on WMXC-HD2/W262BL 100.3. The announcement was apparently made on air (simulcast of 100.3/99.9HD2/107.3) and streamed live
on The Beat of Mobile (Soon to be 'Gulf Coast'?) Facebook page.

That was certainly unexpected. I believe K104 was the only other radio station to ever compete with WBLX.

Not surprising. Looks like the numbers on the translator are good. 107.3 as a top 40 never got traction (even after rebranding). It was a smart move. After the transition, expect to see something new on the translator.

A shame about Kiss FM, but not surprising. Not that I'm much of a CHR fan but I did think iHeart's presentation was better and more, I dunno, hip, than WABD's.

Ditto their Beat urban format versus BLX. Beat just sounds like it's more aggressive, more current and more youthful despite being a totally canned iHeart website sounding deal. It'll be interesting to see how the "little" 50 kW competitor fares against BLX's much bigger signal. It doesn't have the reach or punch of the bigger 100 kW signals, but it does at least reach all corners of the coastal radio markets of Mobile and Pensacola. Just not FWB or Pascagoula. Not that those matter to advertisers.

Could they change the COL and officially make 107.3 part of the Mobile market and iHeart Mobile cluster?
Pensacola based studios would hasten the Beat's ability to compete with BLX.
Ya know, P'cola homies aren't hard enough to compete with the Big Boys on the Bay.

Ween the iHeart Pensacola cluster down to only TK101 and sell it to pay off some of that bankruptcy debt.

Interesting move yet I’m not surprised IMO. What will they put on 100.3? News/Talk (WNTM) Alternative or a Hot AC? Or will Mix 99.9 go more Hot AC? I’ll be curious to see what iHeart will do. This could leave some competition for WABD if not management will be feeling a bit lonely over there lol

A shame about Kiss FM, but not surprising. Not that I'm much of a CHR fan but I did think iHeart's presentation was better and more, I dunno, hip, than WABD's.

Ditto their Beat urban format versus BLX. Beat just sounds like it's more aggressive, more current and more youthful despite being a totally canned iHeart website sounding deal. It'll be interesting to see how the "little" 50 kW competitor fares against BLX's much bigger signal. It doesn't have the reach or punch of the bigger 100 kW signals, but it does at least reach all corners of the coastal radio markets of Mobile and Pensacola. Just not FWB or Pascagoula. Not that those matter to advertisers.

FWB and Pascagoula is not a factor for agency buys. They want the big markets.

Could they change the COL and officially make 107.3 part of the Mobile market and iHeart Mobile cluster?
Ya know, P'cola homies aren't hard enough to compete with the Big Boys on the Bay.

Ween the iHeart Pensacola cluster down to only TK101 and sell it to pay off some of that bankruptcy debt.

The station was downgraded A few years back to allow another situation happen (can't remember why) Not going to happen. If the station is successful, the COL won't matter. Listeners don't care.

A sale would not cover any debt. Better to keep the cluster together and continue to generate revenue.

Not sure about ownership limits there, but 107.3 is either on or adjacent to the main tower farm where most of the Mobile stations are. Of course, most of the Pensacola stations are in that same area. Just shifting its focus to Mobile should be easy enough and would probably be sufficient. Mobile and Pensacola listeners know which stations cater to them. Not sure if it's changed since, but WDLT 104.1 and WRRX 106.1 had the exact same programming in morning and afternoon drive, and the Pensacola listeners knew exactly which station to tune in despite 104.1 covering both cities well.

If 107.3 gets good or even better ratings in Mobile than Pensacola, do they ask Nielsen to move 107.3 from the Pensacola market to the Mobile market?

I'm guessing 100.3 in Mobile flips to Classic Hip Hop soon.

Any chance iHeart could buy a Pensacola translator for a Classic Hip Hop simulcast?

And what will come of the iHeart Mobile-Pensacola Smooth Jazz fetish?

And what's Zew-HD up to? And ADX?

Will anybody buy a Wilkins station?

What will happen in 2018???

Tonight's beverage is Tito's.

I think that "Mobile listens the Mobile based stations, P'cola listens to the P'cola ones" (only considering class C's easily heard on both days)...that made more hard sense when you had locally based shows being hyper-local to their cities. Pensacolans always knew to keep 94.9 as a #2 preset for country if they didn't like what 102.7 has at the time (#3 now, figuring 98.7?)

With suburbs and the changing way we absorb or are exposed to music beyond the radio, I think it's just about who's got the mix to keep you listening longer, knowing you will push another preset eventually. And hip-hop on WBLX has the default option on both for sooooooooo long--someone is right that WYOK "K-104.1" (itself moved from a then rimshot 104.9) was their last big signaled competitor taken out in 2000[?] only because Cumulus ended up owning both stations, chasing WABB and WKSJ on 104.1.

Once people get used to having a second choice in 107.3, BLX's numbers will probably fall. And perhaps amongst young people, using The Breakfast Club. That show has gained a relevance for viral videos based upon interviews and host rants--and I'm not expecting Steve Harvey to keep them laughing/reacting in the same way.

If 107.3 gets good or even better ratings in Mobile than Pensacola, do they ask Nielsen to move 107.3 from the Pensacola market to the Mobile market?

I'm guessing 100.3 in Mobile flips to Classic Hip Hop soon.

Any chance iHeart could buy a Pensacola translator for a Classic Hip Hop simulcast?

And what will come of the iHeart Mobile-Pensacola Smooth Jazz fetish?

And what's Zew-HD up to? And ADX?

Will anybody buy a Wilkins station?

What will happen in 2018???

Tonight's beverage is Tito's.

Why Classic Hip Hop? I was guessing Alternative or NewsTalk WNTM

Why Classic Hip Hop? I was guessing Alternative or NewsTalk WNTM

Classic Hip Hop would also pull a 1-2 share from 93BLX. Assuming iHeart wants to start an Urban War.

Otherwise, based on recent national trends, I'd guess the second option is ALT 100.3. Testing to see if they can create a complementary Alt Rock format to sell with TK101. It might be more profitable than competing with the king, WBLX.

This would be an interesting situation because right now a Destin Alt Rocker is targeting DX and cell phone listeners in Pensacola and has some shows originating from leased Pensacola studios.

Classic Hip Hop would also pull a 1-2 share from 93BLX. Assuming iHeart wants to start an Urban War.

Otherwise, based on recent national trends, I'd guess the second option is ALT 100.3. Testing to see if they can create a complementary Alt Rock format to sell with TK101. It might be more profitable than competing with the king, WBLX.

This would be an interesting situation because right now a Destin Alt Rocker is targeting DX and cell phone listeners in Pensacola and has some shows originating from leased Pensacola studios.

Classic Hip Hop started strong in many markets, but has since fallen and or leveled off. ALT is now back in another cycle and probably would not do well in Mobile. N/T would likely be a possible choice. Any format change will be down the road. It will be a few months before the 100.3 listeners make the full transition to 107.3.

Don't forget about the Zew.

I enjoyed popping over their Zewy Christmas HD2 channel while in Mobile the other day. Listening on a car radio, I was able to get nearly zero dropouts from Foley up to I-10, then it was in from I-10 all the way to the Bayway without a single dropout. Pretty impressive considering their less than ideal tower location and power.

WZEW is already listed as the parent to the 50 watt translator on 96.5; it's even listed as being on their tower south of I-10. But it only covers pelicans and industrial wasteland from what I can tell, so it will need an upgrade if they are to do anything with it.

I could see 100.3 going classic hip hop just long enough to capture that boom effect the format has, but longer term I was thinking some type of adult urban or alt rock. Both formats would nibble at competitors (urban to WDLT, alt to WZEW) and flank a co-owned station (urban to WRGV and alt to TK 101).

What's surprised me is the lack of getting WNTM on FM. I thought for sure it'd wind up on 99.5, then 92.5 or 101.1 but they went to other formats. I guess the lack of reach to the Eastern Shore and western white suburbs is a factor, as is WBUV carrying basically the same thing and being a rimshot to most of Mobile.

I enjoyed popping over their Zewy Christmas HD2 channel while in Mobile the other day. Listening on a car radio, I was able to get nearly zero dropouts from Foley up to I-10, then it was in from I-10 all the way to the Bayway without a single dropout. Pretty impressive considering their less than ideal tower location and power.

WZEW is already listed as the parent to the 50 watt translator on 96.5; it's even listed as being on their tower south of I-10. But it only covers pelicans and industrial wasteland from what I can tell, so it will need an upgrade if they are to do anything with it.

I could see 100.3 going classic hip hop just long enough to capture that boom effect the format has, but longer term I was thinking some type of adult urban or alt rock. Both formats would nibble at competitors (urban to WDLT, alt to WZEW) and flank a co-owned station (urban to WRGV and alt to TK 101).

What's surprised me is the lack of getting WNTM on FM. I thought for sure it'd wind up on 99.5, then 92.5 or 101.1 but they went to other formats. I guess the lack of reach to the Eastern Shore and western white suburbs is a factor, as is WBUV carrying basically the same thing and being a rimshot to most of Mobile.

Per RadioInsight.com, apparently a lot of domains (ALT) are being or have been purchased after the holidays...which could very well mean that Alt1003 or something or that nature could perhaps be the next station to replace The Beat on 100.3. I think this is a direct compeition for 92 Zew as they proclaim "Mobile's Only True Alternative" in the listening area. 92 Zew doesn't even reach P'cola only and the coverage that 100.3 has for the Mobile and Eastern Shore isn't all that strong. It would make the most sense on iHeart's part and probably be the most affordable on their part. We'll see though, I think if iHeart wants to direct compete with WDLT, they would've done it already, IMO.

On the other hand, wouldn't be nice if Entercom bought the Cumulus stations in the area. Listening to WEZB in New Orleans, they sound amazing! I think they are a better run and equipped company.

Last edited:
I was just thinking that Tuesday, January 2nd, is the perfect day to debut a new format.

Is there any chance that simulcasting The Beat on 107.3 was "the stunt" and a new format will debut on 107.3 with 100.3 remaining The Beat?

If I'm overthinking this then I believe the new format of 100.3 will be WNTM, ALT, or Classic Hip Hop. I'm leaning toward Classic Hip Hop as it will draw listeners from WBLX,WDLT and WABD which will only help The Beat.

Doubt it. I think it's going to be an ALT format. I think Cumulus would do a Classic Hip Hop format. Putting the Beat on 107.3 was a great move. It's too bad Kiss Fm didn't succeed the way other CHR's have been.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom