Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CHR Kiss FM pulled, 107.3 gets "The Beat" to challenge WBLX on both AL/FL coasts

Quote Originally Posted by seedless View Post
    I was just thinking that Tuesday, January 2nd, is the perfect day to debut a new format.

Is there any chance that simulcasting The Beat on 107.3 was "the stunt" and a new format will debut on 107.3 with 100.3 remaining The Beat?

If I'm overthinking this then I believe the new format of 100.3 will be WNTM, ALT, or Classic Hip Hop. I'm leaning toward Classic Hip Hop as it will draw listeners from WBLX,WDLT and WABD which will only help The Beat.
    Doubt it. I think it's going to be an ALT format. I think Cumulus would do a Classic Hip Hop format. Putting the Beat on 107.3 was a great move. It's too bad Kiss Fm didn't succeed the way other CHR's have been.

The demographics don't really support a ALT format. Classic Hip Hop will or could further erode the competitions numbers. N/T is also a possibility. The signal is so poor that is could be used as a testing ground for another proposed format.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

ALT is the trend right now but I don't think 100.3's signal covers the right demographics for the format. I have to assume it'll be an Urban format. If not Classic Hip Hop maybe a Hallelujah Gospel format?

Edit: Looks like I stepped on Groovy with my post. Sorry.
    Poledo

Have any of you actually hard real world in-person experience with 100.3's signal since it's been on the air? I don't get north of Prichard or west of about McGregor Ave these days, so I have never been able to see how it does outside the city. The exception is the eastern shore. I've listened during the day in Daphne and Fairhope south towards Point Clear and it's held up pretty solidly there. It seems to outperform the mapped contours.

It's never been a problem at night the few times I've been up in Fairhope, either. But then I always hear how most listening is done in the day or evenings, so nighttime tropo shouldn't matter. I figure if it reaches Saraland and out towards Schillinger Road to the west, it's probably a big enough signal to do any format, not just inner city urban ones. I just have never had the opportunity to see for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by seedless View Post
    ALT is the trend right now but I don't think 100.3's signal covers the right demographics for the format. I have to assume it'll be an Urban format. If not Classic Hip Hop maybe a Hallelujah Gospel format?

Edit: Looks like I stepped on Groovy with my post. Sorry.
    Two urban formats run by the same company? In the same market? Hmm...I don't see it happening! IMO

Cumulus Mobile runs 93BLX, WDLT and WGOK. Until The Beat came along Cumulus had a monopoly on Urban Radio dating back over 10 years and only a couple small stations had (briefly) tried to compete with Cumulus before that.
    Poledo

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_0490 View Post
    Two urban formats run by the same company? In the same market? Hmm...I don't see it happening! IMO
    Cumulus WBLX, WGOK, WDLT They have three.
    WLYB FM
    96.3 Demopolis AL.
    100.5 Meridian Mississippi.

WRYC FM
    92.5 Frisco City/Monroeville

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123