• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WBZ Network News Shuffle/Adjustment Has Begun?

However, they are not "required to do so".

There is an affiliation contract that specifies the details. When there's a contract, there's a requirement. It's not voluntary.

From what I've read they're also going to be sharing some space. That too won't be voluntary.

When you work for a big company, you don't always get to do whatever you want.

There is an affiliation contract that specifies the details. When there's a contract, there's a requirement. It's not voluntary.

Have you seen or know the details of the contract? It's rare that a contract requires them to run content.

And as pointed out....WBZ has never run a ton of network stuff.

When you work for a big company, you don't always get to do whatever you want..

I've worked for a number of the big companies, and even dabbled in ownership....but I appreciate you explain to me how things really are. ;-)

Have you seen or know the details of the contract?

I have seen network news affiliation contracts before. There is an expectation that some content will air. NBC News did this deal with iHeart in part to promote their name. When you have one of their reporters creating a custom report, there is an expectation that it will air.

And as pointed out....WBZ has never run a ton of network stuff.

What WBZ did under previous ownership and management doesn't matter.

I have seen network news affiliation contracts before. There is an expectation that some content will air.

The expectation is that the programming is available to the affiliate.....not that they are required to run it.

NBC News did this deal with iHeart in part to promote their name.

No, they did this deal to get spots on the air.

When you have one of their reporters creating a custom report, there is an expectation that it will air.

Using an actuality, or a quick report is not an indication that they are running a lot of network content...nor that they have to.

What WBZ did under previous ownership and management doesn't matter.

They still don't...under a NEW owner.

(BTW...wasn't it you that said they are doing the same things, contract, blah, blah, blah....as they old owner....but that doesn't matter.) ;-)

The expectation is that the programming is available to the affiliate.....not that they are required to run it.

WBZ didn't carry NBC News before. iHeart told them to carry it. How many times do I have to say this?

No, they did this deal to get spots on the air.

NBC News doesn't sell the spots. They create the content. They want to have their brand name heard in Boston. This was a brand marketing deal from NBC News. iHeart sells the spots, and they want the spots to clear. Two different groups with different agendas.

I have never said that they will be "running a lot of network content." Just that they WILL run content. They will also run CBS content and ABC content.

]

(BTW...wasn't it you that said they are doing the same things, contract, blah, blah, blah....as they old owner....but that doesn't matter.) ;-)

They have a new PD too, right? They are doing the same things, except they're also using NBC News, because iHeart told them to. Not because they want to.

BigA, Wimmmex,

I appreciate the two of you getting all lathered up about this, but my only point was that I'm hearing news "voicers" from both NBC News Radio and ABC News on WBZ. I'm not bothered by this, just pointing out that these must be part of the changes inevitably coming to WBZ under new ownership.

I'm fully aware that iHeart has a deal - no idea what kind of deal, I'm not an insider, nor even a business major - to carry NBC News Radio voice reports. I've heard these on WRKO, which uses iHeart's TTN for their news coverage - they have zero news staff - so it was not a huge stretch to hear NBC News Radio voice reports on 'BZ. What WAS a stretch to me was that Mark Mayfield, the only NBC News Radio reporter I've heard on 'BZ so far, did not tag his report as being from "NBC News Radio", as he does for TTN, but as from "WBZ News Radio 1030". That is what I am curious about.

As far as ABC News Radio: this came as a complete surprise, seeing as how WBZ (even under CBS) carried ABC News voice reports between 1980 and 2015, when ABC News chose a different distributor, and ended the arrangement. This week, I've heard Aaron Katersky (twice) and today Alex Stone, both very fine reporters, BTW, on 'BZ. And in the past, the 'BZ morning news team would converse LIVE with Aaron Katersky on a big story, probably owing to the fact that Katersky is from the area originally.

Again, no objections (as if they'd matter anyway!), but while I did expect NBC News Radio voice reports, I expected the tag line to be "NBC News Radio", not "WBZ News Radio 1030". But I was not aware of any connection 'tween iHeart and ABC News Radio. I do hope the latter regains the prominence it once had on 'BZ before the ABC News Radio distribution change.

WBZ didn't carry NBC News before. iHeart told them to carry it. How many times do I have to say this?

You can say it as long as you want. What you need is to back up your point that they were told/required to carry it.

As I said, because they ran a voicer or actuality does not mean they were told they had to.

NBC News doesn't sell the spots. They create the content.

Content created to sell spots. The spots ruinning are more important than the content.

They want to have their brand name heard in Boston.

No, they want to have the spots run and cleared in Boston.

This was a brand marketing deal from NBC News.

No, it was a distribution and spot deal with NBC News

I have never said that they will be "running a lot of network content."

You said stations need the content. And that stations eat content.

They have a new PD too, right?

No they don't. You are making a lot of assumptions about a station you don't know much about.

because iHeart told them to.

You keep saying this without backing it up.

You can say it as long as you want. What you need is to back up your point that they were told/required to carry it.

Every iHeart news/talk station runs NBC Radio News. That's the deal they made with NBC. It's in the story I linked earlier.

Content created to sell spots. The spots ruinning are more important than the content.

Not to NBC. Didn't you read the story I linked earlier? NBC expects to hear its content on EVERY iHeart station.

You said stations need the content. And that stations eat content.

I did, and I said that in response to a general comment asking why do networks create content. This wasn't specifically about WBZ. It was about networks and radio stations.

No they don't. You are making a lot of assumptions about a station you don't know much about.

Actually that's correct. The previous PD of WBZ resigned a few weeks ago and he hasn't been replaced yet.

That's the deal they made with NBC.

No, the deal they made is to "provide access" to NBC Radio News.

It's in the story I linked earlier.

And I refuted that the article did not say what you think it says

I did, and I said that in response to a general comment asking why do networks create content. This wasn't specifically about WBZ. It was about networks and radio stations.

And I pointed out that WBZ doesn't "eat" network content. And somehow you had an issue with that. Do you refute that? Since you are not familiar with WBZ.

Actually that's correct. The previous PD of WBZ resigned a few weeks ago and he hasn't been replaced yet.

OH, thanks anyway...but I wasn't waiting for your confirmation.

(I was waiting for you to admit you were wrong...that they do not "have a new PD too, right?

No, the deal they made is to "provide access" to NBC Radio News.

You're parsing words again. The net result, no matter how you parse it, is that all iHeart owned stations air NBC Radio News in some way. That is a fact. They were required to affiliate with it and utilize it, and WBZ is doing that. I don't understand what your problem is here. They're not just running spots. They're running content. That is a confirmed fact. It wasn't on WBZ before, and now it's there. That's not a coincidence. It didn't just happen. It was required by iHeart when they bought the station. The amount of actual content may vary. It may not be every hour or even ever day. But it will be there, and it's because iHeart made it so. That's what I mean by required. They didn't have a choice to affiliate or not affiliate. You quoted "provide access," but it was a required access. Not optional access.

And I pointed out that WBZ doesn't "eat" network content. And somehow you had an issue with that. Do you refute that?

You're talking about WBZ under old ownership and management. Just go back to that post and read the context. You're talking specifically about WBZ, and I'm talking about news radio stations. That's why networks offer so much content. Because news stations eat up a lot of content. Maybe not WBZ under CBS. But those days are over. New management has a way of changing how things are done. There may come a day when there is more outside content than in-house content. They may add a talk show in mid-day. They've never done that before either.

You're parsing words again.

Nope...I'm saying what I'm meanin'.

ou're talking about WBZ under old ownership and management.

Nope...talking about the here and now.

You are making claims based on your say-so....and I am asking you to back it up.

I don't understand what your problem is here

I have no problem...except you insisting over and over that your limited perspective is the only valid one, and shouldn't be challenged.

It appears you've never been told you are wrong before.....and keep trying to change the argument so that you can somehow be right and won't have to see that there's another way of looking at things.

You must be fun in relationships! ;-)

Last edited:
I have no problem...except you insisting over and over that your limited perspective is the only valid one, and shouldn't be challenged.

What "limited perspective" are you talking about? I'm stating the obvious, and you can't see it. They are owned by iHeart, and they're carrying a network iHeart told them to carry.

It appears you've never been told you are wrong before.....and keep trying to change the argument so that you can somehow be right and won't have to see that there's another way of looking at things.

Nope, every time I get involved in a thread with you I get told I'm wrong. This isn't anything new to me. And I haven't changed my view in any way. They're running content from NBC News because they were told to. All iHeart stations do it. You think WBZ has some special arrangement. I have no reason to believe that's true.

There is none. ABC News Radio now markets itself internally, as they do with ESPN Radio.

I heard several ABC News Radio reports this morning on ‘BZ; happy with this, no matter how it happened. WRKO doesn’t seem to be using ABC as much in their TTN newscasts.

I listen daily to Rush on either WKOX or WGIR, whovever’s signal is quieter. Both air Fox News TOH. I have not heard any NBC News Radio reports in their local news inserts. My point: perhaps iHeart does not require its stations to carry reports from NBC News Radio.

I also noticed that some WBZ-TV people have been on air on WBZ radio again - in particular Barry Burbank last weekend with extra winter storm/snow coverage. They were still using Accuweather for the weather on the 3's he was just an extra weather story during the news. Heard Steve Burton doing some sports story as well.

I also noticed that some WBZ-TV people have been on air on WBZ radio again - in particular Barry Burbank last weekend with extra winter storm/snow coverage. They were still using Accuweather for the weather on the 3's he was just an extra weather story during the news. Heard Steve Burton doing some sports story as well.

And "Jon Keller, political analyst for WBZ NewsRadio and WBZ-TV" is still heard on 1030 - at least for now and I hope going forward, as well.

Yup - surprised as you probably were hearing Barry Burbank last weekend; but it was not an extended-length report by any means.

We'll know things have REALLY changed if we hear a WCVB or WHDH weather voice on 'BZ radio when a storm is upon us!

And "Jon Keller, political analyst for WBZ NewsRadio and WBZ-TV" is still heard on 1030 - at least for now and I hope going forward, as well.

For now, they're still in the same building. It may be a bit tougher once the radio station moves.

Movin on UP

For now, they're still in the same building. It may be a bit tougher once the radio station moves.

'OLE Man Rea was kissing up the other night (as usual with everyone he has on) this time ti EyeHart and their "wonderful people" and his future move to "Meffa" where he will be able to host a "studio audience"!

....."Insert Crickets Here!"

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom