La Grande to...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: La Grande to...

La Grande to...

Rumor has it that KMCQ Oak Harbor has been sold to Bustos Media Holdings. Looks like La Grande is coming to Mt. Vernon.

Not a great move IMO, but the Spanish population is growing up there. I bet there were quite a few listeners to KMCQ Country in Oak Harbor, Mt. Vernon, Burlington, etc. Guess more were listening to an AM with a Camano Island translator for their country music fix...or even JR-FM! I don't think KMCQ ever had any personalities...and this may be why.
    749 AM's in the log, 615 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 102.3 KWRL La Grande, OR; 10/23/17
    Last New AM Log: 780 KCEG Fountain, CO 11/19/17

I was told the station was likely to be sold when it signed on a year ago. They weren't selling any spots at all, and the only thing I ever heard resembling a spot was an add counsel PSA at the top of the hour.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by crainbebo View Post
    Not a great move IMO, but the Spanish population is growing up there.
    To some, it may be nit picking... but to others the distinction is really significant:

The "Spanish" are people from Spain. "Hispanics" are the Spanish speaking people who live in the United States. Calling US Hispanics "Spanish" is rather like calling African Americans "Negroes".
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

To some, it may be nit picking... but to others the distinction is really significant:

The "Spanish" are people from Spain. "Hispanics" are the Spanish speaking people who live in the United States. Calling US Hispanics "Spanish" is rather like calling African Americans "Negroes".
    I'm not sure I get the connection. Most Hispanics speak Spanish, and of course most also English. The comparison with African Americans is off base IMO. The two are not related in any way or form when discussing language. When describing radio stations, the term "Spanish" is acceptable, if that is the language being used. I think at times we get too politically correct for our own good.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by seatownmedia View Post
    I'm not sure I get the connection. Most Hispanics speak Spanish, and of course most also English.
    The way persons we now call, in the US, "Hispanic" was a common, and often derogatory and generally ignorant way of referring to people who were actually nearly all from Latin America.

The term was not used by the people themselves, just as Americans don't call themselves "English" based on the language most people in the USA speak. It was, and is, considered offensive.

This is a case of people of one group addressing those of another by a term that was broadly rejected by those being addressed.

And, for accuracy, "most" Hispanics don't speak Spanish. A large percentage do, but in many places, the Hispanic population includes many, like Jerry Garcia, who are of Hispanic heritage but who can barely read the menu at Taco Bell.

The comparison with African Americans is off base IMO. The two are not related in any way or form when discussing language. When describing radio stations, the term "Spanish" is acceptable, if that is the language being used. I think at times we get too politically correct for our own good.
    The poster referred to a growth of "the Spanish population". Not "the Spanish speaking population". Just "Spanish". Just as it would be improper to call folks from the USA "English" as I just said, it is improper and considered by many to be offensive to call Hispanics "Spanish".

This is not about political correctness. It's about a term that many Hispanics consider offensive. While not as despicable as the "N-word" it is considered demeaning and is well disliked. Just as, today, calling African Americans "negroes" is broadly rejected and, to many, offensive (although groups like the UNCF continue to use it).

In fact, "Spanish radio stations" are in Spain. They should, for accuracy, be called "Spanish language" stations... but I agree that many who are not close to that segment of the industry do indeed use the imprecise "Spanish" term for them. To me, it's like calling KIRO an English station; imprecise and uninformed.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

I couldn't think of a more perfect area for it. I've been saying for years Skagit County needed a Hispanic station.
    “The truth is incontrovertible. Malice may attack it. Ignorance may deride it. But in the end, there it is.” - Winston Churchill

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="3"]

This is a case of people of one group addressing those of another by a term that was broadly rejected by those being addressed.
    So true. My wife is Japanese and I find myself cringing when I hear someone call Asian people 'Orientals'.

like Jerry Garcia, who are of Hispanic heritage but who can barely read the menu at Taco Bell.
    Currently Jerry can't read the menu at Taco Bell at all.

Wow...this thread got derailed quick.

Back on topic. This is a good move for Bustos, so that they can fill in the 'north end' where KDDS is non-existent, and gets stomped on by CFOX.

The new KSWD facebook page is littered with horrible comments from ex-KMPS fans...and a lot of them will be 'switching to 103.3'. Not for long!
    749 AM's in the log, 615 FMs (250 from Western WA), That's a DXer!
    FM, AM and SW DXer of Yakima, WA! God Bless America!
    Last New FM Log: 102.3 KWRL La Grande, OR; 10/23/17
    Last New AM Log: 780 KCEG Fountain, CO 11/19/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast