• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

actors who were most/least like the characters that they played

Michael J. Fox is one who comes to mind. He is actually quite liberal, and nothing like the character Alex P. Keaton who he portrayed on Family Ties. About the only thing that they had in common was the use of a middle initial.

Of course, Carroll O'Connor was nothing like Archie Bunker.

As for actors who played themselves in TV shows and movies, please don't include any of them, unless there is a glaring discrepancy between the two.

I'll start with the obvious, and yes, they played characters named after themselves with a gigantic discrepancy (read: polar opposites) between screen and life:

Jack Benny in real life was nothing like the cheap, vain, lousy-violin-playing egotist that he portrayed on radio and TV. He sometimes made a point of that by being an extravagant tipper in restaurants.

Moe Howard in real life was not the violent, abusive neer-do-well that was his character as a member of the Three Stooges. He actually was a refined gentleman who hung out with the wealthy crowd, and was not only not abusive to Larry, Curly, Shemp, and the two Joes in reality, but helped them out when needed.

And, unfortunately, Johnny Carson off-camera was a miserable human being, as opposed to his glib, funny stage persona on The Tonight Show.

after Kirk Cameron found Jesus when was on Growing Pains, he no longer wanted to play a slacker but a role model as Mike Seaver, or anyone else, and basically restricted himself to straight to video bible based flicks

after Kirk Cameron found Jesus when was on Growing Pains, he no longer wanted to play a slacker but a role model as Mike Seaver, or anyone else, and basically restricted himself to straight to video bible based flicks
Speaking of Bob Saget and Full House, Kirk's sister Candace attends a church here in San Francisco that friends of mine also attend; and is known for her rather un-San Francisco views - in other words, ultra-conservative. Here, even in Christian churches, people tend to be liberal-lefties.

I don't know how this differs from her Full/Fuller character though, because I tried to avoid both of those shows, my like for Saget and Stamos not withstanding, mostly because Dave Coulier made me want to shoot my TV. My kids loved that damned show in the 90s. <shudders violently>

Speaking of Bob Saget and Full House, Kirk's sister Candace attends a church here in San Francisco that friends of mine also attend; and is known for her rather un-San Francisco views - in other words, ultra-conservative. Here, even in Christian churches, people tend to be liberal-lefties.

I don't know how this differs from her Full/Fuller character though, because I tried to avoid both of those shows, my like for Saget and Stamos not withstanding, mostly because Dave Coulier made me want to shoot my TV. My kids loved that damned show in the 90s. <shudders violently>

we've never heard of her demanding script changes on her show like her brother did

Carroll O'Connor and Archie Bunker were political opposites, as were Ed Asner and Lou Grant (at least on The Mary Tyler Moore Show).

I've heard Lucile Ball was all business in real life, not Lucy Ricardo like at all.

Bronx

we've never heard of her demanding script changes on her show like her brother did

I've watched episodes of "Fuller House" on Netflix...Candace definitely cringes at the few gay innuendo jokes told on the show, and doesn't really hide it (although it's no real telling whether or not she's actually in on the jokes). You'll notice that she (nor the Olson Twins, which is a different matter) wasn't in the audience at Saget's Comedy Central roast in 2008, while Lori Loughlin, Jodie Sweetin, Stamos, and Coulier were in attendance.

Even though she was one of the people that pushed for the "Full(er) House" reunion, I'm not sure how much influence Candace has on the scripts, but the producers and writers made for damn sure to utilize her (and Sweetin's) Dancing with the Stars fame.

Carroll O'Connor and Archie Bunker were political opposites, as were Ed Asner and Lou Grant (at least on The Mary Tyler Moore Show).

I've heard Lucile Ball was all business in real life, not Lucy Ricardo like at all.

Bronx

If you ever saw Lucy interviewed, you could tell she was definitely not Lucy Ricardo or Lucy Cahhhhhhmichael (said in Gale Gordon's voice). She could be amusing, but also sardonic, and not prone to daffy behavior. Clearly a very intelligent person.

Even though Dan Blocker played dumb but lovable Hoss on Bonanza, he had an education degree. In addition, I wouldn't doubt that many people assume he was a Conservative, yet he was VERY liberal and strongly opposed the Vietnam War.

Jonathan Harris played effete Dr. Smith on Lost in Space and other upper-crust characters. In real life, he had a pretty pronounced Brooklyn accent.

Of course, there's plenty of examples of actors playing ladies' men who were gay in real life.

On 'Cheers', Ted Danson was about as 'non-sports guy' as someone could be and play an ex big-league pitcher.(The character eventually called 'Sam Malone' was supposed to be an ex-football player, but producers changed their minds when they saw he didn't have the physique for the character they had in mind.

Abe 'Fish' Vigoda was in his mid-50s when he got the part, despite Fish being roughly ten years older, and he was actually in very good physical condition for his age. Jack Soo, unfortunately, was just as run down as Yemana appeared to be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AlNVEKrMoOw

Robin Williams in front of the cameras he portrayed himself as a funny and wacky person. But as soon as he died everyone started talking about how depressed he was behind the scenes.

Note even Mork and Mindy even had an episode on how even 30 years earlier before he reached his peak fame that he was depressing or was forced to please a certain audience when he's doing his shows in San Francisco and on various movies he was in.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HzVbh4IULog

Basically Williams has just talked about the downside of fame in this Mork ending and sadly it's now true.

Last edited:
IIRC, Bob Barker was also quite demanding on TPIR behind the scenes, despite how he came across on screen.

Speaking of old man Barker...with everything going on with actors, news anchors, and sports analysts and scores of sexual allegations stories, I don't think he would survive this climate. With his episodes of sexual harassment coming to light over the years, I know CBS is glad they're not dealing with that, on top what happened with Jeremy Piven and Charlie Rose recently.

But back on topic...maybe of the most obvious ones here that hasn't been revealed--Henry Winkler and the Fonz. Winkler himself expressed many times that he wishes he had just "one ounce of Fonzie's coolness".

Abe 'Fish' Vigoda was in his mid-50s when he got the part, despite Fish being roughly ten years older, and he was actually in very good physical condition for his age. Jack Soo, unfortunately, was just as run down as Yemana appeared to be.

Yes, despite that droopy face and stooped physique, and getting killed in The Godfather :rolleyes:, Vigoda was quite fit. Conan O'Brien would do a running gags involving Vigoda on his shows, with Abe's cooperation. On one filmed segment, Vigoda runs across a field. I was impressed how fast he could run for a man in his mid 80s. He passed away in 2016 at age 94.

I looked for the Conan segment on You Tube and couldn't find it, but there are quite a few others he did with Conan, such as:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQ3NanMdA1U

Yes, despite that droopy face and stooped physique, and getting killed in The Godfather :rolleyes:, Vigoda was quite fit. Conan O'Brien would do a running gags involving Vigoda on his shows, with Abe's cooperation. On one filmed segment, Vigoda runs across a field. I was impressed how fast he could run for a man in his mid 80s. He passed away in 2016 at age 94.

Vigoda got the part of Tessio in The Godfather because, allegedly, somebody associated with the studio thought he was a real Mafiosi. He wasn't even Italian, let alone a member of the Mob.

Vigoda got the part of Tessio in The Godfather because, allegedly, somebody associated with the studio thought he was a real Mafiosi. He wasn't even Italian, let alone a member of the Mob.

Vigoda was a rare actor whose big break came later in life (he was around 50 when he appeared in The Godfather)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom