• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMPS is now 94.1 The Sound

As to there being a format hole for soft pop, the hole has existed for at leased a decade and I'm sure the audience went to listening on line a long time ago.

There's a reason why the hole has existed...the audience is hard to sell.

I always recommend against programming to format holes. This is one reason why.

Entercom has made a few similar moves in their first few weeks. I hope they're debt situation is solid.

"One Love" Bob Marley is now playing on 94.1.

KRWM and K-Lite NEVER played this (even when they should have)

Interesting

I knew that Entercom was going to flip one of the country stations post merger, although I would've expected Entercom to flip 100.7 The Wolf instead of KMPS.

Entercom has made a few similar moves in their first few weeks. I hope they're debt situation is solid.

Could this be a placeholder format like the AC format (The Harbor) iHeart put on 101.7 in Boston after acquiring the station? In a few months, their true intentions became clear with the debut of The Bull, a hit country format.

I knew that Entercom was going to flip one of the country stations post merger, although I would've expected Entercom to flip 100.7 The Wolf instead of KMPS.

KKWF is Entercom's country station. KMPS was in the way...therefore blow it up, even if its been around for 43 years.

I don't think 94.1 is going be anything close to what we're hearing today a year from now.

The Soft AC format is working in a number of markets...

KISQ San Francisco...#4

WFEZ Miami...#2

WDUV Tampa...#1

And Cox just moved WEZI Soft AC to a 100,000 watt signal in Jacksonville from a 6,000 watt signal. (It moved Alternative to the lesser signal.)

If programmed correctly, Soft AC can capture a significant chunk of the 25-54 audience. With KWRM doing so well in Seattle, it makes sense to go a bit softer and try to pick up some of its listeners. However, I am surprised the move was made today and not on December 26.

You weren't paying attention. They flipped KMPS to Christmas music and sent everyone to KKWF via promos. That meant they were going to do something to KMPS. Most of smelled it coming the day the deal went into effect (it's fun to speculate, but seriously, did you really think something WASN'T going to happen?)

At least they've kept the music more or less in the 80s-90s on this launch.

But there's a reason that AC radio has become synonymous with Bon Jovi in the last 10 years. Your average 30-40 year old female doesn't want her radio station to protect her sensitive ears, and the women who ate this stuff up in 1992 make you no money today.

I've yet to see a research product tell me otherwise in recent years. Most of the Soft AC launches in recent years have made major adjustments to their approach post-launch to survive or ditched it for something else.

It says "New Country 989" on the Station ID line, but looks like they have yet to tag to New Song library......Song ID hasn't changed since "Until It Sleeps" by Metalica

The Soft AC format is working in a number of markets...

KISQ San Francisco...#4

WFEZ Miami...#2

WDUV Tampa...#1

And Cox just moved WEZI Soft AC to a 100,000 watt signal in Jacksonville from a 6,000 watt signal. (It moved Alternative to the lesser signal.)

If programmed correctly, Soft AC can capture a significant chunk of the 25-54 audience. With KWRM doing so well in Seattle, it makes sense to go a bit softer and try to pick up some of its listeners. However, I am surprised the move was made today and not on December 26.

The Soft AC format is something I've once wondered about, seeing as it's a format FOUR stations in Seattle were once emulating in the late '80s/early '90s and it's the one younger Boomers/older GenXers miss. (We all secretly love that smooth, "yacht rock" stuff.)

But the suits up here weren't having it. Yet here it is. Someone was going to try it here somewhere.

But WHERE was kind of a shock....

As far as personalities, RadioInk says: "As part of the change, host Deanna Lee will be moving over to 100.7 The Wolf, Entercom’s country station in Seattle." No word on other employees.

It says "New Country 989" on the Station ID line, but looks like they have yet to tag to New Song library......Song ID hasn't changed since "Until It Sleeps" by Metalica

Because audio is coming from an entirely different source and RDS is not in chain.

As far as personalities, RadioInk says: "As part of the change, host Deanna Lee will be moving over to 100.7 The Wolf, Entercom’s country station in Seattle." No word on other employees.

KMPS morning show was let go.

KMPS reportedly outbilled KKWF by a very big margin. This strikes me as an incredibly stupid move. There is no reason both stations couldn't have been retained - just as Cumulus has done in Dallas with KSCS and KPLX for several years now.

KMPS has been a country station forever KMPS was higher rated than The Wolf yet they dumped KMPS for The Wolf

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom