• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KMPS is now 94.1 The Sound

I noticed the Warm spots on KOMO a bit. They refer to themselves as the new or is it all-new Warm 106.9. How long have they been around? Seems like they're past the "new" phase. ;)

AQH has a way of not completely reading someone's post before getting up on the soapbox and pontificating their response.

Awwww, when are you going to PM me so we can have lunch?

I noticed the Warm spots on KOMO a bit. They refer to themselves as the new or is it all-new Warm 106.9. How long have they been around? Seems like they're past the "new" phase. ;)

Depends on who you ask what is the definition of new.

Depends on who you ask what is the definition of new.

Nobody is doing a female upper demo friendly station in the market. Perhaps that is the thinking, if so, they might indeed carve a nitch.

You could argue Star, still with a morning show predating the fall of the USSR, before The Simpsons debuted and when Lucy Rush was still doing Safeway commercials.

I think you misread my post. I said, "at first". I am not "thinking that way" today.

You are correct, I apologize for the error. Responding on Galaxy not same as on PC.

Was that post really necessary? Are things that boring in Portland?

Not sure I would have posted the post you quoted sure, but things are pretty boring in Portland, considering the last thing that happened anywhere close to a market shakeup down there happened in 2011, and it wasn't even that eventful as only three stations were affected, the biggest one being KUFO 101.1. Heck, 105.9 is long overdue for a format flip, as between 1999 and 2009, it had like 6 formats, but hasn't changed since.

Was that post really necessary? Are things that boring in Portland?

I have heard this complaint before. Is there something inherently wrong with posting on a board outside of one's own town? I felt that my comments were reasonable and fit in with the previous post. I wouldn't go as far as to say they were necessary but felt them to be in the public interest and convenience, so two out of three isn't bad. :) I don't look for other markets to check out. I click on "New Posts" at the top of the homepage and don't usually pay any attention to the name of the board.

Congrats John! He used to be on KRWM and KMTT, and I wish him well at 'The Sound'. I wonder if the morning show will have entertainment segments, or if they'll use the breaks to cover just weather and traffic. I don't think Kim Kardashian talk would fit well on a Soft AC, no thank you.

Congrats John! He used to be on KRWM and KMTT, and I wish him well at 'The Sound'. I wonder if the morning show will have entertainment segments, or if they'll use the breaks to cover just weather and traffic. I don't think Kim Kardashian talk would fit well on a Soft AC, no thank you.
Seriously you think that dude is going to talk about Kardashians, Halle Barry, and Hollywood Gossip, what's trending, etc. The only content that will matter will be the Merrill Gardens updates and the time the latest Dial-A-Ride to the Senior Center will be by for pickup. Possible endorsements already lined up: SHAG, Metamucil, Super Poly Grip and A Place For Mom.

Actually an update on Dial-A-Ride like that wouldn't be a bad idea once in a while. In reality though, I highly doubt either prediction is accurate based on what most AC stations do in mornings. That's personally why I like a lot of AC stations in mornings, I'm not in the mood for a phone tap as I'm getting ready for my day, though I can now go online later if I decide I want to hear one, or if there's one I know I'm going to miss.

Tuned in Friday morning 2/9 around 8am. John Fisher didn't sound like he's that comfortable in the air chair as he asked on are "are we on?" Then going into a contest the intro sharply stopped and he asked "what happened" then it restarted.
Perhaps he and his producer aren't n'sync.
And during a music sweep the Pentatonix cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" slipped inbetween the '80s retreads. Stuck out like a sore thumb. A holdover from the Christmas library? Or an automation coding error? You be the judge.

Tuned in Friday morning 2/9 around 8am. John Fisher didn't sound like he's that comfortable in the air chair as he asked on are "are we on?" Then going into a contest the intro sharply stopped and he asked "what happened" then it restarted.
Perhaps he and his producer aren't n'sync.
And during a music sweep the Pentatonix cover of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" slipped inbetween the '80s retreads. Stuck out like a sore thumb. A holdover from the Christmas library? Or an automation coding error? You be the judge.

How the heck do you not know if you are on? Duh it's the red button and you pot it up John. How long you been doing radio? Maybe he misses carts, cutting tape, and dials to pot up. Come on man you are supposed to be a pro in a major market and you sound like a noob from GRCC. I think all the other operators in town owe Entercom a big thank you for making it easier on them. Clearly NOT how you win in AM or any day part for that matter. I give it a year at the most and changes will be made what do you bet. Being boxed in and positioned as the old sleepy granny station is never a winning strategy.

Re: Pentatonix
I've never really thought of that as a Christmas song, I think it's fine any time of the year. I kind of wish they'd get more airplay outside of the few songs you hear on the radio in December, though the one mentioned above is the only one that would really fit on 94.1.

How the heck do you not know if you are on? Duh it's the red button and you pot it up John. How long you been doing radio? Maybe he misses carts, cutting tape, and dials to pot up. Come on man you are supposed to be a pro in a major market and you sound like a noob from GRCC. I think all the other operators in town owe Entercom a big thank you for making it easier on them. Clearly NOT how you win in AM or any day part for that matter. I give it a year at the most and changes will be made what do you bet. Being boxed in and positioned as the old sleepy granny station is never a winning strategy.

It used to be that talent in major markets were prohibited from operating any of the equipment because their union contracts wouldn't let them. There was always an engineer to do so and he was in a different union. Perhaps, it's something like that.

It used to be that talent in major markets were prohibited from operating any of the equipment because their union contracts wouldn't let them. There was always an engineer to do so and he was in a different union. Perhaps, it's something like that.

Yes, that's the way it was in the buggy whip days. With VERY few exceptions (i.e. Total Traffic) Seattle hasn't been a union shop for decades. Even if John has a producer he has control of his microphone.

Re: Pentatonix
I've never really thought of that as a Christmas song, I think it's fine any time of the year. I kind of wish they'd get more airplay outside of the few songs you hear on the radio in December, though the one mentioned above is the only one that would really fit on 94.1.

Agreed - it just seemed to come out of nowhere and stuck out like a sore thumb.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom