Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: WZEW adds an HD subchannel

Yep. Meanwhile, Edgewater continues to list WZEW as the parent for the 101.1 translator in Mobile. It's still carrying Freedom Radio FM via WRHK-HD3 I believe. I'm interested to see if Dot Com Plus can move the 96.5 translator to a more favorable location like co-locating it with the 92.5 one on Shelton Beach Road. Where it is now, it mostly covers industrial wasteland and Mobile Bay.

Could Zew move 96.5 to the Eastern Shore and run 92.1 HD2 on both 92.5 and 96.5 while taking the Freedom Radio lease from iHeart and moving it to WZEW HD3?
    Poledo

Edgewater owns the translator and the Freedom Radio FM brand, so I don't expect it to go anywhere unless iHeart terminates the lease for some reason. But I don't see why 96.5 couldn't hop across the bay. I wouldn't go any further east than Fairhope though since Z 96.5 out of FWB booms in here during tropo, and is a decent easy catch even in normal conditions.

If Zew doesn't create an Eastern Shore-Mobile translator simulcast, the best format for 92.5 in Mobile is Classic Hip Hop.
    Poledo

I see Zew is making some changes.
    Has there been any indication that Zew may use 92.5 and 96.5 to simulcast on different sides of the bay or is it assumed 2 new translators and formats are coming to Mobile?
    Poledo

In the applications for the translators, one had been listed for an HD2 channel and one for an HD3 channel, but ZEW never added a third HD channel, so… They may wind up trying to do some sort of simulcast. I guess a 250 translator will make it across the bay alright until the atmosphere kicks into high gear.

I tried to get some info from the station but they are keeping mum. I caught a few minutes of the HD2 last night; it appears to be a loop of "Tarkus" by Emerson, Lake and Palmer, then a promo for "something coming soon up from the bay" or something to that effect. Then back into the ELP song.

Kind of surprised to hear that on the HD2, I thought for sure it'd be 92 Blues like it was after Christmas. Hard to believe that they'd relegate that format to online only when they have two translators to play with now.

Sounds interesting the way they are spinning this. What format could it end up on?

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_0490 View Post
    Sounds interesting the way they are spinning this. What format could it end up on?
    No idea. All I got from them was "keep listening" which is hard considering I'm way out of the range of their translator and on the fringe of the HD. I have to pretty much step outside with my portable to get a lock, but then it will stay locked in fairly decently even if I go back inside. But the least little bit of atmospheric voodoo and the HD goes completely away, same as WUWF. Therefore, I can't check it regularly. I don't have HD in my car. I'd love to get a replacement for my wonky and decatying OEM headunit but it's a double-din and finding something to replace that has gotten kind of hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_0490 View Post
    I'm guessing on two options.
    First would be Alternative with a Mobile - Eastern Shore simulcast.
    Second is Alternative and Classic Hip Hop on Mobile based translators.

When in doubt, go with the format of the month...
    Poledo

Quote Originally Posted by seedless View Post
    I'm guessing on two options.
    First would be Alternative with a Mobile - Eastern Shore simulcast.
    Second is Alternative and Classic Hip Hop on Mobile based translators.

When in doubt, go with the format of the month...
    Surely, not Country....
    Last edited by Alex_0490; 04-23-2018 at 03:35 PM.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast