• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Univision Closes on Sale of KKMR/Arizona City

This station has a bizarre history. It started as a local Arizona City station, the studio shared a building with a laundromat, the tower was at ground level east of I-10 (there is a CP for the mountain west of I-10 & I think the old tower is gone). It started at 106.3, the same frequency assigned to Sun City. At one time, KONC in Sun City bought it from an out-of-state car dealer and changed the call letters to KONZ, hoping it would help with some south and east coverage problems. The program feed was a pair of 15-point loops from Maryvale to the studio, then an STL to the tower. It was then moved to 106.5 and put on a bigger tower southwest of the original site, but that didn't get the hoped-for Tucson coverage. That tower came down so fast, the county never assessed it, and the steel was stored at the 1360 site on Camelback Rd. for a time. Other sites have speculated that EMF has been buying up commercial frequencies to move Air-1 or K-Love to a commercial operation. With the changes in main studio and public file rules, that will be a lot easier.

This station has a bizarre history. It started as a local Arizona City station, the studio shared a building with a laundromat, the tower was at ground level east of I-10 (there is a CP for the mountain west of I-10 & I think the old tower is gone). It started at 106.3, the same frequency assigned to Sun City. At one time, KONC in Sun City bought it from an out-of-state car dealer and changed the call letters to KONZ, hoping it would help with some south and east coverage problems. The program feed was a pair of 15-point loops from Maryvale to the studio, then an STL to the tower. It was then moved to 106.5 and put on a bigger tower southwest of the original site, but that didn't get the hoped-for Tucson coverage. That tower came down so fast, the county never assessed it, and the steel was stored at the 1360 site on Camelback Rd. for a time. Other sites have speculated that EMF has been buying up commercial frequencies to move Air-1 or K-Love to a commercial operation. With the changes in main studio and public file rules, that will be a lot easier.

I don't see the point of EMF changing their business model and turning their stations into commercial enterprises. What they're doing now is working. The only thing that changes for them with the removal of the main studio rule is they don't need to apply for a waiver anymore.

Univision Radio has closed on its sale of 6kW KKMR-FM (106.5)/Arizona City, AZ (serving Phoenix)...

The 60 dbu of that signal does not even come close to touching Maricopa County. It serves Casa Grand and Eloy and points in between.

Univision owns three other FM signals in Phoenix.

Actually, four. KHOV, KHOT, KOMR and KQMR.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom