The 12 Days of Depends
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The 12 Days of Depends

The 12 Days of Depends

Nurse Jeff and I wuz thinking about what's goin' happen when listeners of KAHM tune to their favorite station one day and think it's been hijacked to Hermosillo. The sale to KNAI will probably be approved this month. Imagine the rush on the local Safeway for more Depends...or Prescott paramedics being swamped by resuscitation calls. YIKES!
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    The Middle Eastern Men of the Media
    Buckeye, AZ

Hiring us is a no brainer. In fact, it's a double no brainer!

The transfer to CCF was approved Monday (12/04)...just waiting for the consumation, then the consternation. Nurse Jeff and I predict Depends will soon fly off the shelves in Press-kit. YIKES!!
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    Buckeye, AZ

Looks like CCF has closed on the sale of the 101.9 translator:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/mill...723fa778d.html

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    Looks like CCF has closed on the sale of the 101.9 translator:

http://www.insideradio.com/free/mill...723fa778d.html
    I can’t believe the money being exchanged for these translators. $1.1 million by Farmworker Educational Radio for K270BZ 101.9 FM is crazy. It’s also very interesting that the two largest translator transactions in the country are right here in Phoenix with Mother Hubbard’s $1.8 million dollar acquisition of K224CJ 92.7 FM taking the cake. Don’t know if they are actually worth that kind of money considering the coverage limitations of these translators. I also find it interesting that in the article they say how Phoenix is “one of the rare cities surrounded by mountains where actual propagation often exceeds FCC contours—the reverse of most markets.” I would why that is the case? Irregardless, this fact must contribute to the high dollar amount being exchanged for these translators!

Quote Originally Posted by asugeorge1 View Post
    I can’t believe the money being exchanged for these translators. $1.1 million by Farmworker Educational Radio for K270BZ 101.9 FM is crazy. It’s also very interesting that the two largest translator transactions in the country are right here in Phoenix with Mother Hubbard’s $1.8 million dollar acquisition of K224CJ 92.7 FM taking the cake.
    In the case of Farmworker Educational (CCF), they had to get off non-comm 88~Three for two reasons: 1) they were running commercials on a non-comm, and 2) they shared the frequency with a true non-comm who has no incentive to leave. 101~Nine has pretty good coverage in areas where their newest purchase, KAHM 102~One, misses due to its rimshot status. Now they can run as many commercials as they like 24/7 without worrying about some miscreant ratting them out to the FCC. CCF has sunk $4.2m into their Phoenix operation ($.6m for 8~Sixty, $1.1 for 101~Nine, $1.7 for 102~One AND its translator, and $.8 for KYCA 14~Ninety AND its translator. They may get some of that back by spinning KYCA and its translator, and possibly a plate of cookies for leaving 88~Three.

In the case of Mother Hubbard, 92~Seven gives them skin in the game. Monetizing the worn-out oldies format of Lumberyard 14~Forty, or a future format from one of their HD~Too signals. Mom likes to own rock in the Valley, and 92~Seven has pretty good coverage.

I also find it interesting that in the article they say how Phoenix is “one of the rare cities surrounded by mountains where actual propagation often exceeds FCC contours—the reverse of most markets.” I would why that is the case? Irregardless, this fact must contribute to the high dollar amount being exchanged for these translators!
    That can be said about FM's from South Mtn, as most of the Valley is flatter than the right rear on our '76 Gremlin. But it can't be said about other xmttr sites and highly directional translators. The rimshots from Towers Mountain (KAHM, et al) have issues due to the terrain around north and northeast metro Phoenix. If you think about it, CCF's $4.2m purchase is very little compared to the cost of buying a full coverage South Mtn frequency. And good luck finding just one to buy!
    Last edited by DrAkbar; 12-07-2017 at 09:18 AM.
    Dr. Akbar 'n Nurse Jeff
    Buckeye, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by DrAkbar View Post
    That can be said about FM's from South Mtn, as most of the Valley is flatter than the right rear on our '76 Gremlin. But it can't be said about other xmttr sites and highly directional translators. The rimshots from Towers Mountain (KAHM, et al) have issues due to the terrain around north and northeast metro Phoenix. If you think about it, CCF's $4.2m purchase is very little compared to the cost of buying a full coverage South Mtn frequency. And good luck finding just one to buy!
    And that's pretty much what this is in a nutshell. South Mountain is the sweet spot for the Phoenix metro. In other cities things are more like Towers or Shaw Butte: the map looks good, but the signal has issues. 92.7 may be directional, but from South Mountain there are few obstructions that get in its way.

Agreed that CCF is spending wisely.

At some point, somebody is going to write Sierra H a very nice check. Those may not be South Mountain signals, but they're far more valuable now than they were when Jay started.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Quote Originally Posted by johndavis View Post
    And that's pretty much what this is in a nutshell. South Mountain is the sweet spot for the Phoenix metro. In other cities things are more like Towers or Shaw Butte: the map looks good, but the signal has issues. 92.7 may be directional, but from South Mountain there are few obstructions that get in its way.

Agreed that CCF is spending wisely.

At some point, somebody is going to write Sierra H a very nice check. Those may not be South Mountain signals, but they're far more valuable now than they were when Jay started.
    Surprisingly, the Bradshaw rimshots put a good signal into parts of the Far East Valley. It’s along the 51 and south of Camelback Mountain where they have major shielding problems. They’re have more value than a rimshot coming from Globe, as well as most AMs.

When will CCF move the 102.1 signal to Towers Mountain? Given that the weather is awful this time of year, I would place my bets on March. Will the “Beautiful Music” format completely go away? Not with the 101.7 translator in Prescott and an HD2 to feed it.

There's no official word on what will happen with the shared 88.3 frequency yet, although I do agree that it's possible that Family Stations would begin operating KPHF full time once La Campesina ceases broadcasting on 88.3.

Quote Originally Posted by EricStein View Post
    Will the “Beautiful Music” format completely go away? Not with the 101.7 translator in Prescott and an HD2 to feed it.
    This isn't like KHEP-FM where the buyer had to pledge to not change the format for a year. What's in it for Campesina to keep B/EZ alive? You have to be committed to chasing a lot of direct business in Prescott to do that.
    The opinions expressed are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers. Retweets are not endorsements.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    There's no official word on what will happen with the shared 88.3 frequency yet, although I do agree that it's possible that Family Stations would begin operating KPHF full time once La Campesina ceases broadcasting on 88.3.
    My assumption is that the Farm Workers would ask Family for payment for their 88.3 station.

The two stations, each separately licensed, share the frequency. The Farm Workers could actually sell their 88.3 operation to a third party.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast