• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

1 World Trade Center FM

Didn't know it expired last month. Interesting. I knew Cumulus got the license at a reduced rate because of the limitations.

Having said that, I'm not sure Cumulus feels the revenue upside for moving the tower is worth it right now.

Just one of the many things readers of my column get to know ;)

(I don't think any other trade publication noted the expiration of that clause...)

And I quite agree: the upside of moving that signal across the river probably doesn't outweigh the expenses. Especially with no FM infrastructure built out at all yet at 1WTC.

Because WWSK is 62 km away from 1WTC and second-adjacent full-spacing from an A to a second-adjacent B is 69 km, is how. Under the short-spacing provisions of 73.215, it's possible to show the existence of a fully-spaced allocation site and then operate WWSK short-spaced from its current site - but there are then spacing issues between WWSK's proposed allotment coordinates, co-channel WYBC-FM in Connecticut and an as-yet-vacant 94.5 allocation on the East End.

The other ongoing issue is the severe short to WMAS-FM Enfield CT, which is 195 km away from 1 WTC and needs 241 km for full B-to-B co-channel spacing (and even 211 km for B1-to-B full spacing.) WMAS-FM is also owned by Cumulus, so any realistic solution to WNSH's spacing issues in New York would have to involve a downgrade of WMAS-FM. And THAT brings in even more complications - WMAS-FM changed COL from Springfield MA to Enfield CT some years back (it was part of a deal with Clear Channel that was a trade for use of a generator in another market - really!), and so a downgraded WMAS-FM would still have to be able to provide COL coverage of Enfield, which might be challenging from its transmitter site in downtown Springfield.

Until just very recently, there was also the matter of the contractual provision in the sale of WNSH that obliged Cumulus to pay additional money to Family Stations if it moved 94.7 to Manhattan within a certain number of years, but that provision quietly expired last month.

So, "nope" is an overly simplistic answer. It's possible, but complicated.

Also, WJLK 94.3 is 10 km closer than WWSK. It would definitely hurt coverage in their own market of Monmouth

Another very important fact that hasn't been mentioned until now.

It's an obstacle, but not an insurmountable one. There's space on the mast for a master FM antenna, and plenty of room on the transmitter floor set aside for FM transmitters and a combiner (something else readers of my column learned a few weeks ago). If and when it makes economic and technical sense for any FMs to make the move downtown, it's probably a matter of high six figures (maybe low seven) to build that out. Most of the hard work has already been done for the TVs. The price tag would be prohibitively high in most markets, but New York City isn't most markets.

Most of the hard work has already been done for the TVs. The price tag would be prohibitively high in most markets, but New York City isn't most markets.

Still, this thread was started asking about non-commercial FMs WQXR and WNYC. My view is that $1 million is a bigger number for non-com, even in NYC. That's why I expect those stations to stay where they are.

Still, this thread was started asking about non-commercial FMs WQXR and WNYC. My view is that $1 million is a bigger number for non-com, even in NYC. That's why I expect those stations to stay where they are.

That's the total cost for the project. It would be shared by whatever other stations join in the group, and would be offset down the road by buy-ins from any new additions, most likely. (And that's not factoring in whatever incentives Durst could theoretically want to offer to get more business for both 1WTC and 4TS).

But 105.9 is much better off at Empire than it would be downtown. It would have absolutely no building penetration in mid-Manhattan from the 400 watts or so it would be able to run from 1WTC - assuming the spacings there would even work against WBLI, WCHR-FM down the shore, and so on. (I haven't run the study.) And 93.9 went through plenty of gyrations to be able to become fully licensed as a short-spaced B at Empire. No compelling reason I can see for them to think about moving.

It's WPAT-FM in particular that's still struggling with spacing issues from midtown, but SBS has a lot of other problems on its plate. Becoming the only FM to move downtown doesn't seem at all likely.

That's the total cost for the project. It would be shared by whatever other stations join in the group, and would be offset down the road by buy-ins from any new additions, most likely. (And that's not factoring in whatever incentives Durst could theoretically want to offer to get more business for both 1WTC and 4TS).

My $1 million was the estimated annual rent. That was the figure given back a few years ago when the building opened. I don't know what the rent is now. As compared to $500K for ESB and $250K for 4TS.

https://news.radio-online.com/cgi-bin/rol.exe/headline_id=b15564

Here is an update on that 104.7 is transmitting from World Trade Center.

With an increasing number of FM translator licenses being assigned by the FCC, GeoBroadcast Solutions is finding new ways to help broadcasters launch FM radio services in populated areas with crowded spectrum. This is the case with 104.7 FM in New York City, which has become the first FM radio broadcaster to transmit programming from One World Trade Center.
Several New York City TV broadcasters returned to One World Trade Center earlier this year, thanks to a joint effort between The Durst Organization and the Port Authority. This marked the first time that broadcasters had a presence in the World Trade Center since the events of 9/11. The GBS team, who's developed FM spectrum and site infrastructure for broadcasters in Chicago, Las Vegas and other cities, worked with station owner Rahul Walia to find spectrum in the crowded New York City market.
Upon establishing spectrum and an RF infrastructure at One World Trade Center, GBS relocated the station's 99-watt FM translator, Ethnic W284BW-FM (104.7), from its Perth Amboy, NJ location. Since re-launching from One World Trade Center, Walia reports a significant increase in audience share.
"The previous limitations of our Perth Amboy signal have been eliminated since relocated to New York City, which has enabled us to reach an essential part of the New York City market. The signal is now heard from lower Manhattan, Brooklyn and Staten Island to North and Central New Jersey," said Walia. "GBS has a wealth of experience with translator move-ins, and their guidance will be key in identifying and leveraging the right format for 104.7 FM moving forward."
To support the 104.7 FM broadcast, the GBS team struck a deal with WPAT-FM to lease its HD2 sub-channel. Walia, who owns two other FM translators broadcasting from central New Jersey on 92.7 and 100.7, expects that a new format for 104.7 FM will launch in the coming weeks.

I tuned in this evening and it's just dead air.

The station is highly directional. It sends essentially no signal to the north towards Midtown. It's service area is most of Kings, some of Queens and NJ in an arc from Bayonne to Elizabeth to Harrison but nothing at all north of that.

The station is highly directional. It sends essentially no signal to the north towards Midtown. It's service area is most of Kings, some of Queens and NJ in an arc from Bayonne to Elizabeth to Harrison but nothing at all north of that.

Right, I tuned in from NJ. I was getting a "tuned stereo" signal but nothing was on.
This morning I have no signal at all. I'm just west of Newark.

Last edited:
A check of the FCC listings online indicate that the owners of the translator applied in August for it to remain silent for a while. They cite interference from a pirate on the frequency, and indicate they are waiting for this to be addressed by the FCC's Enforcement Bureau. I've never seen this reason given for a station to stay silent. WPAT HD2, which will feed the translator, is broadcasting an open carrier.

Request for Silent STA: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101790063&formid=910&fac_num=143664

A check of the FCC listings online indicate that the owners of the translator applied in August for it to remain silent for a while. They cite interference from a pirate on the frequency, and indicate they are waiting for this to be addressed by the FCC's Enforcement Bureau. I've never seen this reason given for a station to stay silent. WPAT HD2, which will feed the translator, is broadcasting an open carrier.

Request for Silent STA: https://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/w...t=25&appn=101790063&formid=910&fac_num=143664

I think by remaining silent this station is actually hurting itself. Pirates look for open frequencies. Even if the existing pirate on 104.7 gets shut down, if another pirate sees this frequency is silent they will just pop up on 104.7 and the problem will continue.

WPAT HD2 just started broadcasting, identifying itself as 104.7 FM. Perhaps the new station took Ansky's advice (above post) ;).
They are apparently testing/stunting. First song was New York, New York by Frank Sinatra. Also heard (in a repeating loop) were Spanish Harlem, by Ben E. King, and Empire State of Mind, by Alicia Keys.
Can anyone confirm whether the new 104.7 translator is now on the air, carrying this programming?

WPAT HD2 just started broadcasting, identifying itself as 104.7 FM. Perhaps the new station took Ansky's advice (above post) ;).
They are apparently testing/stunting. First song was New York, New York by Frank Sinatra. Also heard (in a repeating loop) were Spanish Harlem, by Ben E. King, and Empire State of Mind, by Alicia Keys.
Can anyone confirm whether the new 104.7 translator is now on the air, carrying this programming?

Yes they are on the air playing "The Rising" by Bruce Springsteen and Harlem Blues by Nat King Cole. At the top of the hour they made mention of "From high atop the World Trade Center".

I'm located about 5 miles west of Newark, facing NYC. I can see the WTC out my window. The station is a little scratchy but I can pull in a stereo signal.

Last edited:
yes it signed on this afternoon to test signal. any word on what the final format will be? i can hear it in woodbridge, nj but not south of edison.

When it was in Perth Amboy, the only thing 104.7 W284BW ever did was simulcast the main FM audio of 93.1 WPAT-FM. What was the point of that?

And now W284BW is licensed to translate 930 WPAT (AM), but it's translating WPAT-FM-HD2 instead.

Right now they're playing both the Drifters' and George Benson's versions of "On Broadway" over and over again.

Audio is unprocessed I presume. It sounds a bit overmodulated. Good signal. Curious which station/format coming on this frequency.

Audio is unprocessed I presume. It sounds a bit overmodulated. Good signal. Curious which station/format coming on this frequency.

Yep; checked through Audition when I recorded 104.7 from my Sony XDR. The audio itself is MP3 though (cutoff around 14/15K). WPAT HD2 super compressed/modulated. Comes in 90% like a local from inside buildings and outside in Central & Southern Brooklyn. Heard reports that it was loud and clear in the JFK area as well.

They look to be running a loop that runs a little over two hours long. All the IDs and V/Os, song fades, etc, are at the exact same time.

I would personally love a format not on any other station. Two that scream to me are smooth jazz or soft AC. Would love a 2.0 of CD 101.9 or an "Easy"/WAVV type of format. But those aren't gonna happen.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom