1 World Trade Center FM
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1 World Trade Center FM

1 World Trade Center FM

Have any FM stations started transmitting from 1 WTC? Most likely WPAT and WNYC will move back there (does anyone have timeframes)? Perhaps WNYC will be able to bring WQXR to 1 WTC with the hope of a slight increase of coverage into Eastern Nassau County.

The best way for WQXR to increase their coverage in eastern Nassau county would be to pay WBLI to turn off their HD

WBLI's signal does not do very well in Eastern Nassau. They must also restrict their power so as to protect WQXR. So in that area (where I live), neither signal does very well. WQXR's power is limited to 610 watts to protect WBLI.

I was hoping that the increased height of 1WTC would give WQXR a few more miles of coverage.

We still do not know if any FM stations have moved to 1WTC or will be doing so in the near future.

The cost of such a location would be a factor for a non-commercial station such as WQXR. I've read reports that the rent on WTC is $1 million. That's a lot of tote bags and memberships. Unless there's a special rate for non-coms, I'd suggest it's a major consideration.

I figured they would move with WNYC as they will likely go back as they are not at full power at ESB. It would probably be cheaper to have both stations use 1WTC rather than pay for both sites.

Quote Originally Posted by djl View Post
    I figured they would move with WNYC as they will likely go back as they are not at full power at ESB. It would probably be cheaper to have both stations use 1WTC rather than pay for both sites.
    Not sure there's a discount for having two stations at WTC. Also not sure that WNYC intends to go to WTC. Once again, it's a huge expense that even network O&Os stations are balking at.

At one time, WNYC was owned by the city, and they may have negotiated a special rate for the old WTC. WNYC is no longer owned by the city.

Another non-com that formerly broadcast from the old WTC was WKCR. After 9-11, they moved to the Times Square tower were WBGO also operates.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigA View Post
    The cost of such a location would be a factor for a non-commercial station such as WQXR. I've read reports that the rent on WTC is $1 million. That's a lot of tote bags and memberships. Unless there's a special rate for non-coms, I'd suggest it's a major consideration.
    When I last checked ESB was $47K/mo. 4TS was approx 1/3 of that. What no one here has mentioned but is a concern for the Eng. community are the growing number of 'super tall" structures going up due to a rezoning of the area just south of Central Park (59th st).

I'm on Madison Ave and can see the ESB -yet OTA has already been noticeably affected by these 80+ story buildings.

Clearly, these buildings are going to affect the viability of both ESB and 4TS. WTC will be more desirable for points west of the city.

https://ny.curbed.com/maps/new-york-...ion-supertalls

LCG

Other than WPAT-FM and WNYC-FM, pretty much everyone would need to deal with short-spacing issues that would be caused by moving to WTC from Empire.

WQXR is more or less hemmed in where it is, and WBLI is already directional.

I read elsewhere that the NYC FMs just spent a bunch of money to improve the ESB facility, so my guess is that they're there to stay for the foreseeable future.

Isnít WKTU also at lower power. They had to strike a deal (WTFM did it) at 1WTC. They moved down there to get a better signal out over Long Island.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast