AMP??? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AMP???

Quote Originally Posted by DavidEduardo View Post

The issue is that LA is not a good all news market and has not been for several decades.

While LA could support two newsers back in the 70's and 80's, changes in the market demographics plus the general rejection of AM by younger demos gave us two stations that by 2000 got less than three shares.

AM news stations that added FM have done it for reasons that don't exist in LA. KCBS added FM due to competition by KQED; LA has not hugely popular NPR station. WBBM added FM to protect against Merlin's all-news FM; LA has not competitor to KNX on any band.

Adding FM is not going to help in a market that is 42% Hispanic, 12% Asian, 8% Black and 10% composed of immigrants from Persia, Russia and other Middle Eastern or Eastern European nations.

Amp bills about as much as KNX. The news format is not a young format on any band. Adding FM will not increase ratings much. Total revenue will drop.
    You make good points about KNX. However, my question is if Entercom plans to bring some of their other all news stations to the FM dial, whether they acquire an FM translator or flip one of their FM stations to simulcast the all news format.

Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    You make good points about KNX. However, my question is if Entercom plans to bring some of their other all news stations to the FM dial, whether they acquire an FM translator or flip one of their FM stations to simulcast the all news format.
    The big issue in almost all of the markets where they own all-news is the lack of translator frequencies. So I don't think translators are an option. And the jury is out as far as if the all-news commitment from Entercom is as strong as it was at CBS. I'm not convinced that it is right now.

Adding FM is not going to help in a market that is 42% Hispanic, 12% Asian, 8% Black and 10% composed of immigrants from Persia, Russia and other Middle Eastern or Eastern European nations.
    Although there is certainly plenty of news these days relevant to African-Americans, Hispanics (especially of Mexican origin), Russians and various Middle Easterners!

I can understand all-news underperforming with the immigrant demos not yet English-dominant, but it's sad if an English-language all-news station would realize no benefit from getting on FM among black listeners and those of foreign origin who are comfortable with English or even communicate in it exclusively.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by miketheradioguy View Post
    Nobody has suggested that they want to put any of the news stations on FM.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Moderator/Co-Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by CTListener View Post
    Although there is certainly plenty of news these days relevant to African-Americans, Hispanics (especially of Mexican origin), Russians and various Middle Easterners!

I can understand all-news underperforming with the immigrant demos not yet English-dominant, but it's sad if an English-language all-news station would realize no benefit from getting on FM among black listeners and those of foreign origin who are comfortable with English or even communicate in it exclusively.
    For the Hispanic population in LA which is predominantly Mexican and Mexican American, there is another issue. About half are Spanish dominant. And the other half comes from a heritage that does not include news stations... the only all news station in Mexico City recently "merged" with a talk station because the format, even in a city of 23 million, was not sustainable.

Culturally, what drives most all news stations is not universally in tune with the differing interests of Hispanics, and, to a great extent, other ethnic and cultural groups. Add in the fact that both the Hispanic and African American communities in LA are much younger, you have groups that are not in the 45+ and 50+ demos that news appeals to, mostly, today. That's one of the reasons the format has not done well in Sunbelt markets...Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc.
    www.americanradiohistory.com
    Broadcasting Magazine and Yearbooks, RCA Broadcast News, Television Magazine, Radio Annual, Radio News, Sponsor, Television/Radio Age, R&R, Duncan's American Radio, M Street Directory, Broadcast Engineering, db, and more.

Nobody has suggested that they want to put any of the news stations on FM.
    I read on another thread that suggested Entercom would flip 96.5 in Philadelphia to a simulcast of KYW 1060.

Suggested or, better answer, speculated?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12