• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Top 40/CHR is now “Hot” in San Jose!

San Jose is a market embedded in the San Francisco market. To be a "blowtorch" you have to have a signal that pretty much covers the entire overlay market, which runs from Santa Rosa to Campbell. By that standard, none of the San Jose stations are of "blowtorch" quality.

Agree with maybe KBRG as the exception to your statement.

Agree with maybe KBRG as the exception to your statement.

I'm "somewhat" familiar with KBRG, and there are no significant differences between the KVVF and KBRG signals in the San Francisco market, except that KVVF gets a little bit farther up the peninsula and is a bit weaker down around Campbell. Similarly, KBAY does a tiny bit better on the Penisnsula, but is similar to KBRG in the rest of the market. The really limited one is KRTY.

Does KVVZ do much for them? I know it's pretty limited but it seems to compliment the 60 of KVVF quite nicely.

The KVVZ signal adds a tiny bit, but it does not really cover any highly Hispanic areas.

In congested areas, it's really about the 65 dbu signal, not the 60. For example, the considerable majority of KBRG's AQH listening is by Santa Clara County residents.

That's a good point - KVVZ is essentially being wasted.

What would be awesome would be to see KVVZ sold to KRTY so that it could simulcast Country. Will probably never happen - but I can dream, right? :)

I'm "somewhat" familiar with KBRG, and there are no significant differences between the KVVF and KBRG signals in the San Francisco market, except that KVVF gets a little bit farther up the peninsula and is a bit weaker down around Campbell. Similarly, KBAY does a tiny bit better on the Penisnsula, but is similar to KBRG in the rest of the market. The really limited one is KRTY.

Worked for KBRG when they were KBAY, many moons ago. While similar signals, KBRG does considerably better around the Bay than KVVF. In this case, it's merely the location of the TX.

There's actually a fairly big difference in many places. KVVF's field strength in San Jose is quite a bit more than KBRG just because KBRG is farther away (Loma Prieta vs. Quimby Road) and KBRG runs a lower ERP, although much higher in elevation. Both sites are direct line-of-sight to most of the Santa Clara Valley, so in this case the elevation isn't a big factor. In contrast, KVVVF is pretty much non-existent in the East Bay from Fremont to the North. That area is in a deep shadow due to Monument Peak and the surrounding hills. With their grandfathered power on Loma Prieta, KBRG comes in about the same as the San Francisco stations as far North as Hayward.

Dave B.

There's actually a fairly big difference in many places. KVVF's field strength in San Jose is quite a bit more than KBRG just because KBRG is farther away (Loma Prieta vs. Quimby Road) and KBRG runs a lower ERP, although much higher in elevation. Both sites are direct line-of-sight to most of the Santa Clara Valley, so in this case the elevation isn't a big factor. In contrast, KVVVF is pretty much non-existent in the East Bay from Fremont to the North. That area is in a deep shadow due to Monument Peak and the surrounding hills. With their grandfathered power on Loma Prieta, KBRG comes in about the same as the San Francisco stations as far North as Hayward.

Dave B.

Until you get down to absurdly low power just to gain height, in most cases height is superior to raw power unless all your market lives very close to the transmitter.

Height allows shooting the signal from above the market, often eliminating small shadow areas caused by things like hills, freeway exchanges, taller buildings and such. A perfect example is New York City where every operator who can is on the ESB, even though that means a nominally 50 kw @500" Class B must run around 6 kw to be at just over 1300 feet. Same thing in Chicago with the Hancock and Willis towers, or Philly where B's look for height around 800' even though power must drop; market leader WBEB dropped from 50 kw to 14 kw to be at just over 900'.

Once above a certain field strength, there is not a huge advantage in having areas with near-saturation level signals.

KVVF, as I said, does a bit better up the peninsula, while KBRG does a little better going up the East Bay. KBRG gets a 65 dbu signal nearly to San Leandro, while KVVF does not quite reach Hayward (plus the terrain-induced null just SE of Hayward). Overall, in population reachedKBRG covers about a hundred fifty thousand less people in the SF market, but ads about 300,000 in the Moneterry/Salinaws market when compared to KVVF. So KVVF is actually just a little bit better in raw people covered than KBRG... but in the case of their current operations, the key is coverage of Hispanic populations, and, particularly, HDHAs. Since every county in the radio MSA has a HDHA, the location of those high density areas vs. signal is critical to any station that looks for Hispanic listening in any language.

Speaking of HOT 100.7 and 105.7. 100.7 signal is horrible in most parts of the city & county of San Francisco. 100.7 signal does well around Fishermen Wharf, Chinatown, North Beach, Richmond Neighborhood, anywhere north of Geary Blvd. I know 100.7 city grade goes covers San Francisco, but their signal almost no existent in southern part of the city limits. 105.7 is clear in my area of the city. part of the city.

I'm kind of surprised Univision has never shifted KVVZ to simulcast KBRG, the cluster top biller (that shows up in the SF book) could use a coverage boost to the North. That and "100.3 y 100.7 Mas Variedad" just fits branding wise owning the "100" dial position in the Bay Area.

I'm kind of surprised Univision has never shifted KVVZ to simulcast KBRG, the cluster top biller (that shows up in the SF book) could use a coverage boost to the North. That and "100.3 y 100.7 Mas Variedad" just fits branding wise owning the "100" dial position in the Bay Area.

... except that the billing leader is KSOL, not KBRG. In general, the demos for all the Spanish Adult Hits stations, no matter who owns them, tend to be older than regional Mexican and, thus, a more challenging selling proposition as Hispanic buys are seldom 25-54 and tend to be 18-49, 25-44, 25-49, 18-34, etc.

I know 100.7 city grade goes covers San Francisco, but their signal almost no existent in southern part of the city limits.

The KVVZ 70 dbu barely nips the northernmost sliver of San Francisco, pretty much limited to Presidio, Ghirardelli Square area and the western part of North Beach. By Presidio Heights and Embarcadero, it's outside the city grade.

Speaking of HOT 100.7 and 105.7. 100.7 signal is horrible in most parts of the city & county of San Francisco. 100.7 signal does well around Fishermen Wharf, Chinatown, North Beach, Richmond Neighborhood, anywhere north of Geary Blvd. I know 100.7 city grade goes covers San Francisco, but their signal almost no existent in southern part of the city limits. 105.7 is clear in my area of the city. part of the city.

Yeah, it's a Class A signal with a terrible TX location. Simply put, it's not meant to be a "Bay Area" station. A view from 101 in San Rafael. Thats the KVVZ tower. :)

Attachments

• kvvz.jpg
    kvvz.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 16
Yeah, it's a Class A signal with a terrible TX location. Simply put, it's not meant to be a "Bay Area" station. A view from 101 in San Rafael. Thats the KVVZ tower. :)

Are they still running that translator on 100.9 from Mt. Beacon? Seems to me they could move it to a better location and/or increase the power since it's a fill-in.

Dave B.

Are they still running that translator on 100.9 from Mt. Beacon? Seems to me they could move it to a better location and/or increase the power since it's a fill-in.

Dave B.

I'd completely forgotten that they'd moved that station. It used to BE 100.9!

Dave B.

According to the FCC, they are.

I had no idea they had a translator on 100.9. Does anyone listen to it? :)

Coverage looks like a smaller version of KVVZ's footprint. Seems a bit redundant but 100.9 has to translate 100.7 as they may bleed over each other, and COL's so close together correct?

The 100.9 translator doesn't do anything in San Francisco. When I was hiking in Angel Island, I can see the Mt. Beacon line of sight, but I picked up KSXY (Y100.9 FM) instead of HOT 100.7/105.7 repeater.

Why would a station targeting San Jose Hispanics that does not subscribe to the San Francisco Book need the small 100.7 San Rafael, and 100.9 Sausalito signals which don't even come in clear in all of SF much less the Southbay? As mentioned before seems like KBRG, or even KSOL would benefit more from these two signals, at least they show up in the SF Book.

Why would a station targeting San Jose Hispanics that does not subscribe to the San Francisco Book need the small 100.7 San Rafael, and 100.9 Sausalito signals which don't even come in clear in all of SF much less the Southbay? As mentioned before seems like KBRG, or even KSOL would benefit more from these two signals, at least they show up in the SF Book.

KVVZ is subscribed in SF, KVVF in San Jose. Since they are a simulcast, they have combined listings

Starting today, KBRG is now leaning towards what KLVE is exactly playing in LA. A refresh of newer latin pop music, format still remains as Spanish AC since it's still a combination of older and newer music.

Now this can be a chance for KVVF Hot 105.7 to focus on what KYLD, KMVQ, KEZR plays without mixing in spanish in their programming.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom