KVIL Audio Qualtiy - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: KVIL Audio Qualtiy

Liberty, it sounded like they might defaulted their audio processor or more than likely, restored a setup from another market that didnít use pre emphasis on the box.

Quote Originally Posted by gettinbyagain View Post
    Liberty, it sounded like they might defaulted their audio processor or more than likely, restored a setup from another market that didn’t use pre emphasis on the box.
    Why would any station not use pre-emph? I've heard what that sounds like and it's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Bass View Post
    Why would any station not use pre-emph? I've heard what that sounds like and it's horrible.
    Easy to simulate. Just turn the treble on your receiver all the way down and maybe switch in a high filter to get a 13+ dB treble cut at 10 kHz, equivalent to no 75 uS emphasis.
    Alumnus 1970 - Elkins Institute of Radio Licensing and Broadcasting

Quote Originally Posted by Megapsycle View Post
    Easy to simulate. Just turn the treble on your receiver all the way down and maybe switch in a high filter to get a 13+ dB treble cut at 10 kHz, equivalent to no 75 uS emphasis.
    Umm, OK.... Still doesn't answer my question though. :-)

From my experience processors seem like they default with Pre-emphasis on.
    Based on what I heard KVIL always had it on but had the processing set too aggressively if anything.

Umm, OK.... Still doesn't answer my question though. :-)
    I figured that was one of those rhetorical questions. I would speculate it was done unknowingly, due to incompetence, and not bothering to actually listen to the on-air audio... who knows other than the people in charge.

And from Liberty's comment that's how I always heard KVIL.. processed and bright if anything, didn't catch it with the pre-emphasis off while I was searching for an FM station with an accurate RDS clock setting. (My radios usually stay on stations below 92 mHz.) Maybe it was defaulted to the Euro 50 uS emphasis, half the treble loss, only slightly muddy, and no one noticed.
    Alumnus 1970 - Elkins Institute of Radio Licensing and Broadcasting

For giggles I've switched the preemphasis between 75us 50us and none at all on our FM exciter on more than one occasion. The difference is immediately apparent between 75 and 50 and especially noticeable with pre-emp completely off. 50us is better than nothing but only a step-up from AM quality, no pre-emp is very close to the sound of AM. (at least to my ears)

I really seriously doubt that the pre-emphasis was turned off at any time since Alt Flipped. Its more likely that a staff member switched presets or manually adjusted the settings to something more aggressive for the Rock format and overdid it. In my ears it sounded as if the processor was being over-driven, I can get similar results by running our Audimax and Optimod too hot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12