• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your least favorite Christmas song?

Maybe work it in after "Little Drummer Boy," "Do You Hear What I Hear" or any similar downtempo, non-novelty Christmas song you may have on your playist and make sure it runs at the end of the set so you don't have to worry about what to come out of that song with. That might be an even worse problem than leading into it, because you don't want two slow songs to kick off the set.

Yeah, that is a good strategy...until you end your set with a downer. This is perhaps where the jock (if applicable) will tease some uptempo Christmas tunes, but I digress. The Christmas format is becoming a very scientific format, and there are many do's and don'ts. Those who do it well succeed, but they do need to do it correctly.

The UK has a couple of Christmas radio perennials that hardly get any airplay here. One is the Pogues & Kirsty McCall's "Fairytale of New York," which starts with the killer line "It's Christmas Eve, babe, in the drunk tank," and goes on to tell the story of an Irish couple who came to New York and how their dreams went wrong. It is very Irish-sounding and, despite containing a word you don't hear much on American radio (a six-letter word for "homosexual"), gets played to death on the BBC regional stations and UK commercial stations. The other is Chris DeBurgh's "A Spaceman Came Travelling," which casts the Nativity as being the doings of people from another world -- the star that shone that night was a spaceship! American radio would, understandably, be reluctant to play this one, but the Brits seem to love it.

"Fairytale Of New York" gets a LOT of radio play in Canada. The Chris De Burg one, not so much but you'll probably hear it from time to time. Actually, the Pogue's song is one of only 3 Christmas songs I even like.

Eartha Kitt: Good. Madonna: Horrid, but completely in-character.

I've never cared for Eartha Kitt's version. Her 1954 "sexy" approach always seemed dated to me. On the other hand, Madonna's "Betty Boop" take is perfect! Taylor Swift sounds OK but doesn't seem to understand what makes the song special.

That isn’t particularly surprising. As millennials move into the money demo, more stations will play music mixes they prefer. That includes Christmas music.

Studies have also shown not many people really want to hear a full month (or more) of Christmas music, but those who do will go straight to it and will almost literally never turn it off.

I don't know about not many people wanting to hear a month or more of Christmas music. We get well over 20% in my city and that is not atypical!

I found one on some downloads that is really bad and I hope doesn't get any airplay called Mama, Daddy Please Don't Steal for Us this Christmas, about a kid that only gets presents that were stolen by the parents. :confused:

If you really want to get sad here's an album I found a while back called Bummed Out Christmas: https://www.amazon.com/Bummed-Out-C...11798918&sr=8-1&keywords=bummed+out+Christmas

Two songs that I think are hilarious on this album are Somebody Stole My Santa Claus Suit and Santa Got a DWI. Most of the rest are really depressing.

I don’t find the Jackson 5's version of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” to be that bad. I'd generally say I was a Mellencamp fan, but his version of the song is so revolting to me. Of course, I also can’t stand “Jack & Diane.” That, to me, has always been a really depressing theme dressed up with a happy melody. So, maybe I'm not the Mellencamp fan I think I am.

I would also agree with CTListener that “Little St. Nick” is godawful. However, I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan.

I'm also surprised no one seems to have mentioned “Mele Kalikimaka.” I've always thought that one was pretty bad, and Clark Griswold having his pool fantasy while the tune played in the background on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation didn’t make me like the song any better.
I do like the Beach Boys but their style doesn't fit Christmas for me.

I like the Jackson 5 too and I guess I could live with their song.

I can see how “Mele Kalikimaka” might be considered annoying but anything by Bing is fine with me.

America's Best Music was just playing "This Christmas". That one ranks way up there. It might be possible to record a traditional version, but I don't want to hear 70s R&B. At least for Christmas music.

Here's a possible new annoying musical number for Christmas formats. WEZV in Myrtle Beach has played Madonna's "Holiday" numerous times since switching to soft AC several months ago. The Trolls, in a holiday special that didn't seem to relate directly to Christmas but aired after The Grinch, introduced the possibility when they sang it in that special.

I would also agree with CTListener that “Little St. Nick” is godawful. However, I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan.

Thanks. What makes that song especially awful is what may be the single dumbest line in the Christmas genre: "Christmas comes this time each year." Yeah, and so does New Year's Day, one week later. Your point? OK, maybe "Here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus Lane" is a tiny bit dumber. So put that song on my list -- which I'll admit I didn't check twice -- as well.

Again, if the millennial females and 25-44 soccer moms find all these songs "adorbs," we'll be hearing them, and more like them, for many Christmases to come. All of us here are way out of the demo this music is targeting.

I don't know about not many people wanting to hear a month or more of Christmas music. We get well over 20% in my city and that is not atypical!

Keep the following in mind:

(1) About 3% want Christmas music before Thanksgiving. They'll listen a lot more.
(2) At work listening to Christmas music goes up sharply. A good portion of those listeners aren't in the above 3%, and they have little choice but to listen for 8+ hours a day.
(3) The Holiday book typically starts a week to 10 days after Thanksgiving (when the number of people wanting all Christmas begins increasing).

When you think about those three factors, it's not hard to see how all Christmas gets a much higher share of audience than just people who want to hear it. Rating and share are not the same thing. I'm also not necessarily saying all Christmas isn't a good business decision. If you can increase the number of 25-54 listeners, especially the female ones, by going all Christmas, you'll probably bill really well for that time. The fact that a good portion of your listeners were forced to hear your ads isn't necessarily a bad thing for the advertiser.

Again, if the millennial females and 25-44 soccer moms find all these songs "adorbs," we'll be hearing them, and more like them, for many Christmases to come. All of us here are way out of the demo this music is targeting.

The vast majority of us are male. That automatically means we're not the target of all Christmas stations. Of course, if I were carrying a PPM, I'd almost certainly hit a little bit of Christmas music each year. When I buy gifts for the wife and nieces, I'm all but certain to walk into a store tuned to one of my local all Christmas stations. For Nielsen purposes, that counts as me listening to Christmas music.

If I'm online anyway, is there something for those of us who want just Bing, Perry Como, Ray Conniff, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, The Carpenters and that sort of thing?

If I'm online anyway, is there something for those of us who want just Bing, Perry Como, Ray Conniff, Nat King Cole, Johnny Mathis, The Carpenters and that sort of thing?

Probably. Such a channel exists on SiriusXM (Holiday Traditions), but you have to pay for it.

I've never cared for Eartha Kitt's version. Her 1954 "sexy" approach always seemed dated to me.

I wonder how much controversy she may have caused, with that "sexy" version. She was Black and it was 1954. I'm willing to bet that it didn't get much airplay, other than maybe in NYC and on other stations in the country that catered to Black audiences.

On the other hand, Madonna's "Betty Boop" take is perfect! Taylor Swift sounds OK but doesn't seem to understand what makes the song special.

It was more her "Material Girl" persona that she was actively using at the time, rather than Betty Boop.

I wonder how much controversy she may have caused, with that "sexy" version. She was Black and it was 1954. I'm willing to bet that it didn't get much airplay, other than maybe in NYC and on other stations in the country that catered to Black audiences.

It was more her "Material Girl" persona that she was actively using at the time, rather than Betty Boop.

It sounds like Betty Boop, complete with "buh doop ee doo"! I didn't even know it WAS Madonna for the first several years! "Material Girl" is sung straight. The closest other person is Jennifer Tilly and her's is pretty close to Betty Boop.

Well, count me among the 80% clear majority who does NOT like wall-to-wall Christmas music.
"Here comes Santa Claus, right down Santa Claus Lane" is a tiny bit dumber.
Have to admit, I don't know where "Santa Claus Lane" is!

Well, the topic here is "least favorite Christmas songs," not whether or not we are in the demographic for such. However, with millennials aging in, you would think that these sappy versions of Christmas songs that we have been subject to for many years would give way to more contemporary versions of same. And there are certainly such versions out there. But yet those ancient versions remain. I suspect that at least part of the reason why (mostly) AC stations go all-Christmas is because of the train wrecks which would result from playing Bing Crosby back-to-back with Bruno Mars.

We are going to be close to 70 degrees today. Definitely not in the mood for Christmas music.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom