• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What is your least favorite Christmas song?

frankberry

Administrator
Staff member
For me, it's The Twelve Days Of Christmas.
The song should be shortened to "The One Day Of Christmas."

Of course, there are others which are nearly as annoying.

For me, it's The Twelve Days Of Christmas.
The song should be shortened to "The One Day Of Christmas."

The parodies of that song, most notably those by Alan Sherman and The McKenzie Brothers (Dave Thomas & Rick Moranis), are 10 times better than the original.

Of course, there are others which are nearly as annoying.

Such as everybody's "favorite," Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer :D

The Christmas Shoes - awful, depressing. Thought Christmas wasn't about buying gifts for people who are near-death!
Jingle Bells (Barking Dogs) - poke my eyes out! Thankfully I hardly ever hear that one anymore.
All I Want for Xmas is My Two Front Teeth - the original Spike Jones version is cringeworthy. Slightly better when Nat King Cole sang it.
Dominic the Donkey - another one where I want to poke my eyes out.
Text Me Merry Christmas - a dumb Straight No Chaser song.
Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer isn't as BAD as what some people think, but I don't hear it often.

Wonderful Christmastime, My Favorite Things, Little St. Nick, Sleigh Ride. I actually don't mind the novelty songs at all, but then I limit my holiday-music listening to whatever's playing in stores or restaurants and avoid it on radio until Christmas Eve, when I slip in a quick listen to SiriusXM's Holiday Pops classical Christmas channel, which is, mercifully, 100 percent Santa- and snow-free.

If you think the song is bad, you should watch the movie.

Not to interrupt the flow of this or anything but there's a perfectly wonderful song called "Endless Love". Have you seen the movie? It's about a grown man who sneaks in and out of a 15 year-old girl's bedroom and the father is angry about it. The rest of the family doesn't understand his anger and the mother is actually attracted to the young man! The movie goes downhill from there.

Dominic the Donkey - another one where I want to poke my eyes out.

So that one made it up to the Northwest? I'd never heard it before moving to Connecticut, and I'd lived in the Boston area, central New York, and Arkansas. I figured it only got airplay here because Connecticut is, percentage-wise, the most heavily Italian state in the nation.

"Christmas Shoes" might be the worst song ever recorded, let alone the worst Christmas song.

Topping "Christmas Shoes" is Red Sovine's "Faith in Santa" (alternately known as "Billy's Christmas Wish). Abused, runaway little boy dies in Santa's lap.

If you HAVE to have "Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer" try the Rovers version. CKLW played that instead of Elmo and Patsy as the Rovers were a Canadian act

The worst Christmas song ever is “An Old Fashioned Christmas” by Linda Bennett, which is about a bus crash.

“Christmas Shoes” should be a very close second.

A lot of people apparently like it, but I’ve always thought John Mellencamp's version of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” was absolutely horrendous. I find that version of the song so unlistenable I've actually walked out of a store that was playing it over its speakers.

Wonderful Christmastime.
This is about as annoying a song as I ever heard.

"Sarajevo" (the actual title is longer) by Trans-Siberian Orchestra is not a song. It is what sounds like the theme from a sci-fi TV series followed by a depressing solo cello playing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", supposedly recorded in the middle of the devastation of Sarajevo on Christmas Eve, followed by a heavy metal version of "Carol of the Bells".

Last edited:
A lot of people apparently like it, but I’ve always thought John Mellencamp's version of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” was absolutely horrendous. I find that version of the song so unlistenable I've actually walked out of a store that was playing it over its speakers.
Any version of any classic recorded by one of today's artists, or even any of the people who have recorded what passes for music in the past 30 years or so, are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. Some of these people can manage to do justice to classic songs, but I'm not interested in most new versions of anything.

There is a parody of that one, as well. "New Kids Got Run Over by a Reindeer." And it is on youtube, as well.

Another parody of "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" is "Rudolph got run over by my grandma." I don't remember who performs it, but I remember hearing it on WHCN 105.9 in Hartford when I was in grade school. They used to have a show Sundays Nights at 9PM called "The WHCN Comedy Hour."

Any version of any classic recorded by one of today's artists, or even any of the people who have recorded what passes for music in the past 30 years or so, are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned. Some of these people can manage to do justice to classic songs, but I'm not interested in most new versions of anything.

I don’t find the Jackson 5's version of “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus” to be that bad. I'd generally say I was a Mellencamp fan, but his version of the song is so revolting to me. Of course, I also can’t stand “Jack & Diane.” That, to me, has always been a really depressing theme dressed up with a happy melody. So, maybe I'm not the Mellencamp fan I think I am.

I would also agree with CTListener that “Little St. Nick” is godawful. However, I've never been much of a Beach Boys fan.

I'm also surprised no one seems to have mentioned “Mele Kalikimaka.” I've always thought that one was pretty bad, and Clark Griswold having his pool fantasy while the tune played in the background on National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation didn’t make me like the song any better.

So that one made it up to the Northwest? I'd never heard it before moving to Connecticut, and I'd lived in the Boston area, central New York, and Arkansas. I figured it only got airplay here because Connecticut is, percentage-wise, the most heavily Italian state in the nation.

"Dominic The Donkey" gets airplay during The Italian Show on Kool 96.1/990 WNTY at least a couple times a Christmas season.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom