• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

The D Goes ALT

Yes, accurate. 93.9 the River and (to a lesser extent) 89X both still care for Detroit. Just because they don't have an advertising bureau in town doesn't mean they don't serve Detroit still -- the businesses just go through the Windsor office.

Bell doesn't buy the Nielsen.

They don't care about Detroit.

Windsor is subject to significantly lower CanCon restrictions because Windsor residents often listen to Detroit stations and many stations in the area target Detroit to some extent (well, only 2, but still how many stations does Wundsor have anyways? 4?)

Any CanCon restriction... even a minimal one... means playing less than the strongest songs once or twice an hour. That's enough to be a significant negative when another station is playing a better list in the same format.

Yes, accurate. 93.9 the River and (to a lesser extent) 89X both still care for Detroit. Just because they don't have an advertising bureau in town doesn't mean they don't serve Detroit still -- the businesses just go through the Windsor office.

While I am not sure what an "advertising bureau" is, I am assuming you mean a sales office and not an advertising agency.

Anything that makes buying media harder for the advertiser makes the "difficult" medium be the one that is skipped. Clients need regular service and more than an occasional phone call. You can't do that from the other side of an international border.

Any CanCon restriction... even a minimal one... means playing less than the strongest songs once or twice an hour. That's enough to be a significant negative when another station is playing a better list in the same format.
Why does CanCon even exist in the first place? The listeners would rather hear other songs and you're basically taking listeners away from your station by not playing the hits. I know that stations can't play over 50% hits, and that may work with some formats, but CHR for instance is BY DEFINITION a hit music format.

Ask anyone who worked at Windsor's CKLW in the 70s. Visit this page and scroll to the paragraph that starts: "The CRTC....."
Briefly, the Canadian government wanted to promote the Canadian music industry, which was in its infancy. The only place CanCon was a huge problem was in border markets (like Windsor/Detroit). When all the stations play by the same rules, the effect isn't and wasn't as great.

Not true. That rule was abolished in 2009. The rule is only in effect in Ottawa and Quebec.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/cancon.htm

https://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2009/2009-61.htm

http://www.frontsidegroup.com/think-tank/hit-non-hit/

And with CanCon, you can still play the hits, Tom. Your playlist just has to have 35% Canuck stuff. That's all.

To clarify, in 1997, the CRTC issued a statement saying that any song released after Jan. 1, 1981 is a non-hit, which allowed CHR to move to FM fulltime. The hit/non-hit rule was abolished completely in 09 (with the exception of Ottawa and Montreal).

Last edited:
That requirement was waived even earlier for 93.9, though it was required to up its CanCon if it took advantage of that waiver.

At the time, 93.9 had just dropped its urban format as CKMR to become oldies CKLW-FM. Removing the constraints on hit music didn't seem to help CKLW-FM very much. It didn't last long. Not sure if part of the reason for that failure was the increased CanCon, though.

There were 2 attempts at doing oldies with the Big 8 branding, one in 1986 before "More 94" and one from I think 1991-93....I could be off on that. The second time around, somehow they had to play a percentage of instrumentals which didn't make a lot of sense. CKLW-FM brought back the Live Read commercial and had that done over an instrumental just to get that instrumental in.

Not to get off topic, but can somebody please explain to me how "Cheerleader" by Omi is "Canadian" (even though I recall hearing Omi is a Jamaican) but "There's Nothing Holding Me Back" and a handful of Bieber tracks aren't even though they are Canadian?

Not to get off topic, but can somebody please explain to me how "Cheerleader" by Omi is "Canadian" (even though I recall hearing Omi is a Jamaican) but "There's Nothing Holding Me Back" and a handful of Bieber tracks aren't even though they are Canadian?

All because of the MAPL system.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/r1.htm

Shawn Mendes and Bieber are both from Ontario and meet two of the requirements (artist and lyrics), which is the minimum to be considered CanCon.

Cheerleader is considered Canadian because some work of the remix was done in a Canadian studio by a Canadian producer (who received half of the credit and therefore counts towards MAPL).

All because of the MAPL system.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/r1.htm

Shawn Mendes and Bieber are both from Ontario and meet two of the requirements (artist and lyrics), which is the minimum to be considered CanCon.

Cheerleader is considered Canadian because some work of the remix was done in a Canadian studio by a Canadian producer (who received half of the credit and therefore counts towards MAPL).

It's Hula Hoop that's Concon, not Cheerleader. BDS can be deceptive, since if an artist has any one track as Cancon, all of their songs appear as Cancon in certain views.

Anyway, t would take more than that though. You need a full 2/4 to qualify, so there must have been a Canadian on the writing team too.

Last edited:
You need a full 2/4 to qualify, so there must have been a Canadian on the writing team too.

Gotta fill in the MAPL leaf at least halfway!

I remember how pissed all the Canadian PDs were when Bryan Adams' "Everything I Do" didn't qualify as CanCon. Co-written by Mutt Lange and recorded in the UK, it only satisfied the Artist criteria until they rewrote the rules to allow 50% co-writing credit to count.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom