• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CFCO 630

cyberdad

Staff member
Coming From Chatham Ontario.....

For the past few nights, CFCO has been absolutely blasting here northwest of Chicago. They're splattering all over WTMJ and WMFN (The newcomer in the south suburbs on 640).

This morning CFCO was completely alone on 630 and the strongest I've ever heard them. Stronger even than WSM. If the signal here had been this good when they were running oldies, I'd have set a preset in the car!

Has anyone else here noticed a difference in their night signal? Or know what might be going on?

The last couple nights when I have flipped by 630 here around Columbus, Ohio, and even on a drive up to Mansfield for work last Friday evening, I didn't hear anything on 630. That said, I hope I remember to check tonight.
I never heard CFCO growing up; first time I ever heard was when I went to college in Toledo. There were always there during the day and usually gone or extremely weak at night.

No chance here due to KFXD and CHED (which has been very strong lately). But I was able to confirm CFCO (yes, in WA!!) about 3 1/2 years ago with a playlist match. Incredible night that was - the night of the KCKM 1330 DX test. Also heard KSJB/600 ND and KBRF/1250 MN for new ones that night. They've never been heard since!

Coming From Chatham Ontario.....

For the past few nights, CFCO has been absolutely blasting here northwest of Chicago. They're splattering all over WTMJ and WMFN (The newcomer in the south suburbs on 640).

This morning CFCO was completely alone on 630 and the strongest I've ever heard them. Stronger even than WSM. If the signal here had been this good when they were running oldies, I'd have set a preset in the car!

Has anyone else here noticed a difference in their night signal? Or know what might be going on?

I just checked and CFCO is loud & clear here, about 30 miles SSE of you, and as you said strongest I've ever heard them.

I checked 630 briefly this morning before sunrise, and it sounded like things were back to normal. CFCO was in with a fair, but steady signal.

@crainbebo..... Belated congratulations. I thought CFCO was still on your wish list I thought of you the other morning when it was blasting in. Wondering if you were finally going to get your shot at it.

I'll try to check 630 from time to time during these next few nights, and report anything out of the ordinary.

Update: "Business as usual" here this morning. CFCO fair, but steady. With CFCO nulled, St. Louis was weaker, but still clearly audible. So I guess the situation earlier could well have been due to someone forgetting to flip a switch, and now the party's over.

FWIW.....there WAS a good path to the west this morning on that part of the dial. KXSP, WMT and KCSP (590, 600, and 610 respectively) all stronger than usual.

Update to thread: This afternoon (12/6) CFCO was VERY strong and with virtually no fading from 4:20-4:40 PM CST in the car during my commute between Waukegan, IL and Kenosha, WI. About 2 hours later while running errands it was still steady, but not quite as strong. Chatham Maroons hockey was on. Right now (9:15 PM) it's pretty much back to what I would expect to hear on 630.

A really good radio can get CFCO here on the beautiful western shore of Lake Michigan during the day.

Indeed I can vouch for the fact that CFCO can be heard on a good radio in the near north Chicago suburbs during the day.

I don't doubt it. But I've never heard them daytime where I am about 25 miles west from the lake. Not counting "critical hours" around sunrise and sunset. I've tried several times using the GE SuperadioII as well as in a couple of cars with good radios. Just out of reach, I suppose. I have, however, caught a "whiff" of St. Louis on a few very rare occasions.

I've also checked 630 at night a few times since I started this thread. CFCO seems to be back to where it was before that string of nights when it was blasting. Usually present, if not on top, but nothing exceptional.

Depending on which way I oriented my radio during the day, I could hear CFCO very weak, or St Louis also weak, but a bit better than CFCO. Now with higher noise levels and 640 in Peotone it's tougher.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom