• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Connecting VCR/DVD Recorder Without HDMI Input to HDTV and Digital Cable Box

I'm expecting a Funai VCR/DVD recorder combo that I ordered from Amazon Prime to be delivered in a couple of days. However, unlike the other VCR/DVD recorder combo I have (a Magnavox which I need to have repaired), this one does not have an HDMI input, which makes the process of connecting it to my Emerson high-definition TV a bit more difficult. Would I still be able to connect it to my HDTV and my digital cable box if the unit does not have an HDMI input? What steps would I have to take in order to get the proper picture and sound through that unit onto my TV? I would imagine I would have to switch my TV to a different input, but which one?

You should be able to take the RCA output through the cable box directly to the TV. Just change the input source on your TV to watch from that device. Now, if you're seeking to record from your cable box on the VCR, and your cable box only has an HDMI output, you'll need to buy an adapter that converts the HDMI output to a coax or RCA, input that into your DVD/VCR and then use the coax or RCA output into the TV. You'll lose full HD resolution with this approach though.

I don't know where you live, but the Roses Discount Store chain has Magnavox combo units for $80. If there is one near you, that might be the way to go.

If you can post a picture of your available TV inputs as well as those for your cable box and explain what you want to do with the unit, I can provide an answer that may more directly meet your needs.

Well, I did get the VCR/DVD recorder combo today, but I ran into a couple more roadblocks to where I'm going to have to return it. After playing back one of my older tapes (don't know if you've seen my posts on the "Oldest Extant Off-Air VHS/Beta Tape You Have" thread), this new VCR started squealing! In this case, the squealing happened more with tapes recorded in SLP speed versus tapes recorded in SP speed, whereas my Magnavox made squealing sounds with just about any tape. Additionally, when I tried finalizing a DVD I recorded on the new unit, the disc wouldn't even finalize! I realize you kind of take a gamble anytime you buy any used electronic item, but with these things becoming harder to find (at least at a reasonable price), I kind of have to take what I can get when I can get it.

As for the Magnavox with the squealing problem, I'll have to see if I can find an electronics repair shop in my area that still works on VCRs and see if it can be fixed (the DVD recorder portion on this one still works fine). The Funai I have is not going to be worth repairing if both the VCR and DVD functions have issues (plus I should be able to get my money back).

I took both the Magnavox and the Funai to a repair shop today. The technician said they should be good to go after a good internal cleaning. Additionally, he said, the DVD finalization issue on the Funai is likely due to the fact that that particular unit will only record on and finalize certain brands of recordable DVDs. Both times this initially happened, I had played back a newer recordable tape and still had the squealing sounds from the VCR unit.

All this happened after I had purchased a lot of 55 recorded/re-recordable tapes from eBay, two of which caused this problem. I still have 24 more tapes to go through once I get both of these VCRs back and I'm hoping none of the others I haven't watched yet don't cause me the same problem. I just wish there was a way to find out what kind of red flags to look for in terms of the condition of some of these older tapes before I even play them (besides the more obvious things like mold and visible dirt) so I can same myself some of these headaches--as well as some money.

For one thing, I noticed that on one tape from this lot, the spools inside the cassette have turned a yellowish color. I've seen this before in other tapes I've collected, but never had any problem when I played back such tapes, but even so, I'm wondering if I should even take the chance with that one.

Well, I did get the VCR/DVD recorder combo today, but I ran into a couple more roadblocks to where I'm going to have to return it. After playing back one of my older tapes (don't know if you've seen my posts on the "Oldest Extant Off-Air VHS/Beta Tape You Have" thread), this new VCR started squealing! In this case, the squealing happened more with tapes recorded in SLP speed versus tapes recorded in SP speed, whereas my Magnavox made squealing sounds with just about any tape. Additionally, when I tried finalizing a DVD I recorded on the new unit, the disc wouldn't even finalize! I realize you kind of take a gamble anytime you buy any used electronic item, but with these things becoming harder to find (at least at a reasonable price), I kind of have to take what I can get when I can get it.

As for the Magnavox with the squealing problem, I'll have to see if I can find an electronics repair shop in my area that still works on VCRs and see if it can be fixed (the DVD recorder portion on this one still works fine). The Funai I have is not going to be worth repairing if both the VCR and DVD functions have issues (plus I should be able to get my money back).

That is why you should never buy those "combo" units. When it comes to remastering old VHS tapes to DVD, one should never take shortcuts.
I bought the Magnavox MRV-700 back in 2007 off ebay for $80. Combo VHS and DVD recorder. Ate those JVC VHS colored shell tapes I bought at Sears back in 2003, and had poor tracking.

If you remember the model VCR you used to record those tapes on, buying that VCR is your best bet along with either A. TV Tuner Card or B. Standalone DVD recorder.

I use a Magnavox MRV-640 and a Canon VR-HF800A (has analog adjustable tracking and MPX filter) a good majority of my old VHS collection was initially recorded on that particular model VCR. or a 2003 model Sony Hi-Fi Stereo VCR (has digital tracking)

With the Magnavox MRV-640 I can record up to 8 hours on 1 DVD+R disc. The DVD recorder ONLY takes +R and +RW media, but +RW has always been given my problems recording. Plus you can hook it up via Coaxial In and Coaxial Out so it works with every make and model TV.

Analog Tuner cards sell real cheap off ebay, and use the MediaPortal software to record (in .TS format) if you want to go straight to HDD vs. DVD.

Does anyone know to connect a VCR and standalone DVD recorder together to an HDTV? I have over 350 VHS/Betamax recordings I still need to transfer to DVD.

A better website for all things video is videokarma.org. Plenty of experts on that site. Good luck.

Does anyone know to connect a VCR and standalone DVD recorder together to an HDTV? I have over 350 VHS/Betamax recordings I still need to transfer to DVD.

I'd connect the VCR to the TV using the RCA outputs on the VCR to the RCA inputs on the TV. You can then run the DVD output into the VCR inputs. You'll need to have both the VCR and DVD player on to waych the DVD recorder on the TV. If the idea is to record on the DVD portion, it would go into the TV and the VCR output would go into the DVD input.

Good luck.

Post pictures of the inputs and outputs on the respective units if you want more detailed guidance.

They also make HDMI to RGB converters. I have one which I use to watch Roku on
an old-school CRT television. You can buy those online for fifteen bucks or so.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom