• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Eight women say Charlie Rose sexually harassed them —

This will put CBS in an interesting bind. The #1 fill-in for Charlie Rose on both CBS This Morning has been Jeff Glor, who was recently promoted to the Evening News chair.

Do they keep Glor on "CBS This Morning" where he is already familiar to viewers? Or find another co-host for Gayle and Norah?

I thought Jeff Glor was picked to be the new head of the CBS Evening News, not This Morning.

I thought Jeff Glor was picked to be the new head of the CBS Evening News, not This Morning.

Yes, that is acknowledged in the above post. The question is whether Glor continues to do double duty with his morning show role, which might become a full-time one should the allegations be found true and Rose become the latest media personality to have his career sent to the dumper.

Suspect each PBS affiliate is on their own to fill the time. In Colorado, Rocky Mountain PBS filled the 11PM Charlie Rose slot with a repeat of tonight's earlier Antiques Roadshow, without any on-air notice of Charlie Rose's program being pre-empted/cancelled/suspended/etc.

Charlie is the franchise for the CBS Morning News, but they've had more than Jeff Glor fill in. Anthony Mason has filled in as well, and I believe is a better fit anyway. In the end I'm thinking though they way want more of a veteran like Rose, maybe someone like Harry Smith. Pull him off of feature reporting and back on anchoring mornings.

I doubt that Harry wants a full time early morning gig at this point in his career, especially one he retired from more than a decade ago. Rose is done for sure. Mason will likely be the replacement, but the ratings will take a hit.

As is generally the case it seems likely that people at CBS knew about this
but turned a blind eye so long as he continued to deliver ratings.

Charlie is the franchise for the CBS Morning News, but they've had more than Jeff Glor fill in. Anthony Mason has filled in as well, and I believe is a better fit anyway. In the end I'm thinking though they way want more of a veteran like Rose, maybe someone like Harry Smith. Pull him off of feature reporting and back on anchoring mornings.
I doubt that Harry wants a full time early morning gig at this point in his career, especially one he retired from more than a decade ago. Rose is done for sure. Mason will likely be the replacement, but the ratings will take a hit.
Smith is still on NBC now (I saw him in something the other day), but my best guess is that he is semi-retired now.

I think he's done. He'd have a hard time getting guests to interview at this point. He'll need to close out the operations of his show, an independent operation. I suspect he'll live out the remainder of his years in seclusion.

The way PBS works, I'm sure there are lots of options available throughout the system. The advantage Charlie had was it was co-produced by WNET and it came with its own funding. I imagine WNET will be looking for ways to tap into that funding base quickly with a replacement. Charlie's show covered a wide range of topics from politics to entertainment. That takes a special kind of host, but there are quite a few name hosts available in NYC.

http://tavistalks.com/

How about Tavis Smiley getting more promotion and funding on PBS affiliates. I don't think in the past Smiley was well advertised on PBS affiliates due to Rose getting the top billing among national talk show hosts on PBS at the time.

I think he's done. He'd have a hard time getting guests to interview at this point. He'll need to close out the operations of his show, an independent operation. I suspect he'll live out the remainder of his years in seclusion.
Isn't he about 75 now? My thinking is that he was near retirement, anyway.

The only real issue that I see here is that PBS may have some interviews "in the can" which they may not be able to air now. But we will see.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom