• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Who Is Missing From the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame?

T

Tilden

Not sure how the selections are " actually " made to name someone to the Mass Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Understand, you can submit names but I think there is a "committee" that may have its favorites and those who are not.

Wonder if Pat Whitley for one has ever been nominated. Think he is one of the last originals in talk radio in Boston who career in Boston goes back to the late 60's. He should be included.

Not sure how the selections are " actually " made to name someone to the Mass Broadcasters Hall of Fame. Understand, you can submit names but I think there is a "committee" that may have its favorites and those who are not.

Anyone can make a recommendations for induction into the Hall of Fame.

Recommendations for induction into the Hall of Fame may be made at any time during the year.

We encourage recommendations every year from March 1 to March 31, as in April, our Induction Committee meets, reviews and then votes on all recommendations for “Hall of Fame worthiness.”

At the following meeting of the full Hall of Fame Board, a slate of candidates is presented for approval and voted upon.

Anyone can make a recommendations for induction into the Hall of Fame.

Recommendations for induction into the Hall of Fame may be made at any time during the year.

We encourage recommendations every year from March 1 to March 31, as in April, our Induction Committee meets, reviews and then votes on all recommendations for “Hall of Fame worthiness.”

At the following meeting of the full Hall of Fame Board, a slate of candidates is presented for approval and voted upon.

Those are the rules to be sure but what is the reality. Submitted the name of the last surviving member of the last radio studio band - The Park Squares -at 850 WHDH Radio. The famous guitarist, Don Alessi, the last surviving member of The Park Squares is in his mid 90's. The Park Squares included Don Alessi, Bill Green, Lou Mangnano and Russ Centamore. Actually, The Park Squares as a studio band should be inducted into the Hall of Fame. They not only played on Jess Cain's show and earlier Ray Dorey and Jess Cain but they were also the studio band for the old Channel 5 WHDH-TV for the New England Farm and Food Hour and later Jess Cain's afternoon TV show on WHDH-TV Channel 5. Seems like a waste of my time to submit their names again for the fifth or sixth time. As individuals and as a group they should be in the Massachusetts Broadcasters Hall of Fame. It's a ' Hall of Shame ' without them.

Some of you will cringe at this but one has to consider Maxwell Evans Richmond who owned WMEX from 1957 to 1971.

He was not the easiest guy to work for and everybody who worked for him has stories.......BUT

With a signal that was challenged especially at night he competed with the big boys and more than held his own. Sure many of his 'ideas' he stole from WMCA in New York but switching from Top 40 and Woo-Woo to Jerry Williams at 10 PM was genius. He knew talent and just look at how many hall of fame announcers passed through WMEX on their way to stardom.

He should not be forgotten.

Capture60.jpg

Some of you will cringe at this but one has to consider Maxwell Evans Richmond who owned WMEX from 1957 to 1971.

Max is about as deserving of an award of any kind as is John Tenaglia.

OK, I think some of us need an explanation of who John Tenaglia is...and why the reference is apropos....

John is still roaming the planet, so...

Aside from my personal experience, you could ask anyone who worked for him or did business with him, whether at TK or GCC.

There are some people in radio who might be characterized as "like having a daily root canal".

Max is about as deserving of an award of any kind as is John Tenaglia.

I think that is unfair.

I have my own stories like anyone else. I once had to pick up something at a store for him and we are talking maybe $2. The forms that needed to be signed for me to get that $2 was laughable.

The bottom line was he understood the industry and the finished product spoke for itself. When WRKO came along in 1967 everyone figured it was lights out for 1510 but it was the mighty 1030 who threw in the towel. I read years ago that Bill Drake had a dedicated line in LA so he could sample WMEX 24/7.

6 months before he died I talked with him at a downtown lunch counter and he told me that his biggest regret was not buying WBOS-FM 92.9 for cheap money when it was offered to him. He had dismissed FM because of his experience in DC but then he saw how in a college town like Boston FM was becoming a player.

He was a miserable human being and he made life miserable for many. But he also was one of the best broadcasters this market has ever seen.

I think that is unfair.

Don Burden was a very good Top 40 operator... Indianapolis, Omaha, Portland, Denver. His stations generally won the ratings battles. But he also treated people badly, bribed legislators and had all his licenses revoked.

Being recognized with an award is about the person, not just the formatics of a persons stations.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom