• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KWMT apparently on day power at night, being widely reported

It's not every night one hears a 1950 rendition of "Ragmop" on 540, but KWMT, Fort Dodge, Iowa appears to be running their full 5kW 24/7. I first noted on the Central Indiana SDR. Reports have spanned all over the midwest into parts of Ontario.

KWMT has been known to do this. A couple years ago, they went several weeks with daytime power at night. They almost sounded like they were a “local” here in Central KY. BTW, KWMT has a tremendous Daytime footprint. I drive across Missouri and Kansas each summer and can carry them on my factory installed Bose system in my 2006 Silverado from Central MO almost to the Colorado border on I-70 when a Spanish language station from NM takes over on 540....

A 1950 rendition of "Ragmop" on KWMT? Didn't know it was a country song so it was off to Google to learn that Bob Wills' younger brother Johnnie Lee Wills co-wrote the song and had the original recording.

And speaking about things I didn't know about KWMT: according to a recent Tower Site of the Week on Fybush.com, its 540 frequency was used for a time after WWII by Salina KS station KFRM. What kind of a signal would KFRM have today if it had gotten the nod to use 540 instead of KWMT? Here's a link to the article: https://www.fybush.com/site-20171103/

I tried hard for them but CBK wouldn't budge. Heard them and XESURF, and another with SS rap music (probably XEWA San Luis Potosi, which is rare). But no sign of Fort Dodge, which is well-wanted out here.

KWMT has been known to do this. A couple years ago, they went several weeks with daytime power at night. They almost sounded like they were a “local” here in Central KY. BTW, KWMT has a tremendous Daytime footprint. I drive across Missouri and Kansas each summer and can carry them on my factory installed Bose system in my 2006 Silverado from Central MO almost to the Colorado border on I-70 when a Spanish language station from NM takes over on 540....

WAUK from the Milwaukee area rules 540 around here, but if you null their daytime signal, you can usually hear KWMT perfectly audible underneath. (At night, WAUK typically mixes with a somewhat weaker CBK).

As for KWMT staying on day power overnight.... They're not a particularly serious repeat offender, but it happens from time to time.

WAUK from the Milwaukee area rules 540 around here, but if you null their daytime signal, you can usually hear KWMT perfectly audible underneath. (At night, WAUK typically mixes with a somewhat weaker CBK).

As for KWMT staying on day power overnight.... They're not a particularly serious repeat offender, but it happens from time to time.

Yes KWMT can be heard underneath a WAUK null. In fact in the days before WAUK came on 540, a weak but steady KWMT could be heard during the day.

I checked 540 about two hours before sunrise this morning. WAUK was comfortably on top (as usual), with a couple of stations in the background. One was undoubtedly "usual suspect", CBK. I couldn't identify the other, but it wasn't music. Country of otherwise.

No KWMT again last night. Just CBK and XESURF. But did hear Coast to Coast AM on 1590 under KLFE, which was likely relog KVGB Great Bend KS (1,243mi). It comes in a few times during the season, and to date is my only KS.

Back in the late 60's, when I was a transmitter babysitter, I fell asleep one afternoon and failed to switch the station into the Critical Hours mode ... down to 10kW from 50kW.
I just knew that the FCC would be knocking at the door .........
Nobody noticed and I never told anyone.
Boy have times changed. :)

About 1 AM Mountain time this morning in Colorado Springs, heard KWMT fighting with CBK and an unID Mexican on 540. KWMT was barely winning and was able to log TOH ID. Normally I wouldn't get a whiff of KWMT at night here.

Meanwhile up the dial, a few minutes later caught KWMT's older (former) sister WMT on 600 with a drop-in ID just before Coast to Coast AM. Without any pesky 50 kWers on the channel, and with their DA favoring areas to the SW of Cedar Rapids, WMT was louder and more easily IDed.

Tonight's assignment: find out what station is ripping the guts out of 880 KRVN. About 6:45 this evening, KRVN was nearly over-powered here. I usually hear something under KRVN most nights, but it's faint.

Last edited:
What's the format of the unid 880? The unid SS on 540 is likely XEWA San Luis Potosi being where you are, here SS is usually from XESURF Tijuana. Or it could be the 25w flea power of KNMX Las Vegas, NM.

I only caught fragments of their TOH ID this morning at 2 AM, but they talked about Christian radio for the Navajo Nation. Did an online search of KHAC Tse Bonito NM, and that indeed fits what I heard. Suspect KHAC is running their 10 kW day power at night.

That's them. I hear KHAC during auroral conditions, never during times of low A/K-levels. No sign of KWMT last night but did hear KKLF/1700 TX with a stream match, under XEPE. Also KCEG/780, and KTHO/590 South Lake Tahoe, CA on 500w with classic rock. KTHO is rare.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom