99.7 NOW - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 99.7 NOW

Quote Originally Posted by JackBenny View Post
    LKELLERIII - Thank you for the info. The Wolf and The Bear blur together for me. And I think I still have KPIX 95.7 magnet somewhere too. News or Talk format a while back. Din't last that long either.
    KPIX-FM was before Bonneville. For a while, 95.7 was owned by Westinghouse, which then owned CBS, prior to Viacom. They tried to brand the TV and FM together, and it was kind of a disaster. First it was "The FM News Station," and it was a horror show - most of the people on-air seemed to be amateurs and interns. You'd think the company that pioneered and ran all-news stations (KFWB, WINS) would know how to do it, but no dice. Then KPIX-FM got some ratings by being the "All OJ All the Time" station during the Simpson trial. After the trial ended, it became a pretty decent talk station for awhile - Pat Thurston locally and mostly syndicated stuff. But IIRC, when Viacom hoovered up CBS, 95.7 was sold to Bonneville.

95.7, The Express. They said it (95.7 The Express) vertually every 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by LKellerIII View Post
    KPIX-FM was before Bonneville. For a while, 95.7 was owned by Westinghouse, which then owned CBS, prior to Viacom. They tried to brand the TV and FM together, and it was kind of a disaster. First it was "The FM News Station," and it was a horror show - most of the people on-air seemed to be amateurs and interns. You'd think the company that pioneered and ran all-news stations (KFWB, WINS) would know how to do it, but no dice. Then KPIX-FM got some ratings by being the "All OJ All the Time" station during the Simpson trial. After the trial ended, it became a pretty decent talk station for awhile - Pat Thurston locally and mostly syndicated stuff. But IIRC, when Viacom hoovered up CBS, 95.7 was sold to Bonneville.

Well I remember when KPIX-FM existed under CBS Ownership back then. Also I remember when KPIX Radio was sold CBS put more emphasis on going after KGO-AM at the time when they were then the most powerful news/talk station in the Bay Area at the time.

Brian Cooley was the first Program Director of 95.7 KPIX, The Express. They paid him some rather huge bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by 1069_KIFR View Post
    95.7, The Express. They said it (95.7 The Express) vertually every 30 seconds.
    Yes - that station was a s**t show, and if OJ hadn't murdered his wife (er...sorry...been wrongly accused instead of the "real killer"), the station wouldn't have lasted as long as it did. I also remember that they ran traffic reports seemingly every 5 minutes. I think traffic acted as filler, so they wouldn't have to actually gather and report news, which would have required more effort and a budget of over $3.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234